Air Canada cabin classes

VermeulT

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question - but I'll try here first.

Can someone familiar with Air Canada compare their classes?... the wording is making me second guess myself.

Economy Class - I assume this is basic seats.. the cheapest, smallest seat possible.

Then Economy is split to Standard, Flex, Comfort, and Latitude - I can see the difference in change fees - what's a "preferred seat"?

Premium Economy - this looks more like business class on other airlines.

Business Class - looks more like First Class on other airlines.

Where do Economy Rouge and Premium Rouge play in here?

And if you can also provide insight - I booked Air Canada through HAL's flight ease.  What did I book?  LOL.

Edited by VermeulT

Probably better asked on the Cruise Air board.

Air Canada doesn't have first class...business is as close as it gets.

If you look at the Air Canada website, it clearly defines Economy, Premium Economy and Business. Rouge is their discount, low cost side of their fleet.

I believe Standard, Flex, Comfort and Latitude are fare classes in economy with various types of cancelation or change restrictions.

I've flown AC around the planet for decades, usually economy inside NA and business to the rest of the world. Bruce is correct in his comments. Rouge is a relatively new offshoot of the mainline carrier. An acquired taste, but is often the only way to fly AC to certain destinations. Fundamentally the same, biggest difference is no in-seat TV screens, they rent out Ipads for inflight entertainment.

AC Business class inside NA is just bigger seats, with full service, etc. No lie-flat seats or mini-suites like on the longer international legs

Preferred seats are certain seats in Economy that command a small premium in price to book, but either have slightly longer seat pitch or may be in emergency rows so much longer legroom and are usually farther up front.

Premium Rouge is sort of "Business Class lite" with longer seat pitch, slightly wider seats and more or less full Business Class meal service.

If you know which specific aircraft type you're booked on, you can check seatguru.com and see exactly what the layout of the specific cabin will be. Here's one for the Air Canada Rouge 767-300

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_Boeing_767-300ER_new.php

Have a great trip !

• Like 1

You're talking two different airlines here

Air Canada (mainline):

Business Class (on widebody aircraft), is a full lie-flat pod

Business Class (on narrowbody aircraft), is a wider seat and more legroom (36").  Much like domestic 1st class on US carriers

Premium Economy is slightly more legroom (36" pitch), and on wide body aircraft slightly more width as well (such as 8 across in PE vs 9 in Econ on a 787)

Economy - 30-32" seat pitch

Air Canada Rouge (a separate dedicated fleet running under a different operating certificate)

Premium Rouge - Same as business class on Narrowbody aircraft on AC Mainline.  It's a wider seat with more pitch, not a lie flat pod (36" seat pitch)

Economy - very tight seat pitch (29")

21 hours ago, VermeulT said:

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question - but I'll try here first.

Can someone familiar with Air Canada compare their classes?... the wording is making me second guess myself.

Economy Class - I assume this is basic seats.. the cheapest, smallest seat possible.

Then Economy is split to Standard, Flex, Comfort, and Latitude - I can see the difference in change fees - what's a "preferred seat"?

Premium Economy - this looks more like business class on other airlines.

Business Class - looks more like First Class on other airlines.

Where do Economy Rouge and Premium Rouge play in here?

And if you can also provide insight - I booked Air Canada through HAL's flight ease.  What did I book?  LOL.

Others have done an excellent job of discussing the various seating options on board Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge.

Standard, Flex, Comfort, and Latitude are all fare classes, which each hold their own conditions and restrictions. What have you purchased? Well, that's a very good question, and one who's answer can be critical if there is an issue with your flights. Normally, when you purchase a flight, your confirmation will show you a letter code which shows which fare class you're booked into. The fare class can dictate what if any FF miles you will earn, what changes can be made and at what cost, rerouting conditions, etc. Try to find out what fare class you're booked into, and even better the full terms and conditions which should have been sent with your confirmation.

45 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

Others have done an excellent job of discussing the various seating options on board Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge.

Standard, Flex, Comfort, and Latitude are all fare classes, which each hold their own conditions and restrictions. What have you purchased? Well, that's a very good question, and one who's answer can be critical if there is an issue with your flights. Normally, when you purchase a flight, your confirmation will show you a letter code which shows which fare class you're booked into. The fare class can dictate what if any FF miles you will earn, what changes can be made and at what cost, rerouting conditions, etc. Try to find out what fare class you're booked into, and even better the full terms and conditions which should have been sent with your confirmation.

Since it's booked with Flight Ease - it is technically not fully ticketed (until final payment is due) - and I can't find the fare class.

So I called my TA.  They checked with HAL and it seems that I have standard economy.  She was told by HAL that right now pricing to Premium Economy or Business class is over $1000 each way and I should be able to get a [paid] upgrade once payment is made.  Fingers Crossed.

Thank you all for your insight.