Touring ST Petersburg Russia when walking challenged

jfpt89a

Hello all, me, my wife and another couple will be taking a Baltic cruise on Brilliance of the sea in May. My wife has some balance issues and feels more comfortable using a walker when on tours. Does anyone have any recommendations on St. Petersburg tour companies who can accommodate a walking challenged person.  Thank you.

Edited by jfpt89a

We had a fantastic experience with Tailored Tours of St. Petersburg.  Timofey is the owner and was our guide and he could not have been more accommodating.  He had a driver and a very comfortable van - easy to get in and out of.  We did not have any walking issues on this trip, but DD has RA, so we are always paying attention to if an excursion would have been doable if she was having a flare.  There was walking on the tour we did, but it was brief and over even ground.  A lot of the sights we pulled right up to, got out of the van, and then were picked back up as soon as we had seen it.  

The only area I think would be a little tricky would be at the fortress, because there are a lot of cobblestones.  However, as the name suggests, Timofey tailored our tour to exactly what we wanted to do, so it would be easy to ask him for a focus smooth walking.  When I say tailored, as an example, DH had a work connection whom he had talked to on the phone for 10 years but never met (as this man lives in St. Petersburg!)  Timofey handled communications and arranged a lunch meet up.  It was amazing!  He also handled all our visas and communicated by text on the day of.  Couldn't have been easier.  

I hope this helps!

We used Dancing Bears and they couldn't have been more wonderful. My husband took his walker both days on our two days in St. Petersburg. Our guide made sure he got accessible access everywhere (the Russian ADA people practically carried him down the escalator to the subway) and the driver always got the van as close as possible. It worked really well. His walker has a seat and when he gets too tired, he just sits a few minutes so that he can continue on the tour.  

In 2016, I used TJ TRAVEL   for our day in St. Petersburg.  At that time I was using a rollator/walker.  TJT had a multi passenger van and was able to put my walker in the back and get it out for me at every stop.  Their tour was very accommodating to my needs. Check their website: https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/ for info.