Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
springaussie

Sapphire Princess Staying In OZ Winter 2020?

Recommended Posts

Received an email from Princess.  Had a look at the brochure and printed off the schedule.  Wasted time going online to find the prices, but the cruises are not yet listed.  Read the email again and it clearly says the sale will be from 27 Feb. so can't book anything until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The prices are actually below the  pictures for each cruise and will be Aussie dollars and not Kiwi.  Need to add a few hundred for Kiwi prices plus another $2000 for air fares to Sydney (Provincial New Zealand city ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Iainmac said:

Received an email from Princess.  Had a look at the brochure and printed off the schedule.  Wasted time going online to find the prices, but the cruises are not yet listed.  Read the email again and it clearly says the sale will be from 27 Feb. so can't book anything until then.

The prices in the brochure should give you a good idea of the lowest price for each cabin class and they usually jump by $50-$100 per category within the classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Iainmac said:

The prices are actually below the  pictures for each cruise and will be Aussie dollars and not Kiwi.  Need to add a few hundred for Kiwi prices plus another $2000 for air fares to Sydney (Provincial New Zealand city ).

If you want to see the NZ prices before next week, send me an email cheznandy at gmail dot com and I will forward to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Elites aren't mentioned I doubt believe there is an advance. And given the nature/background to it, I wouldn't expect there to be either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

As Elites aren't mentioned I doubt believe there is an advance. And given the nature/background to it, I wouldn't expect there to be either.

Agreed and Princess have verbally confirmed this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

As Elites aren't mentioned I doubt believe there is an advance. And given the nature/background to it, I wouldn't expect there to be either.

I can't see why not. It is supposed to be one of the Elite benefits, and since I only reached Elite last year and haven't had a chance to book a new release cruise yet so I'm curious to see if it really does give an advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

Agreed and Princess have verbally confirmed this.

Oh bummer! *goes off into the corner to sulk*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Seems some perks are being ignored.

That seems a bit silly when they are trying to fill ships on new itineraries at short notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That seems a bit silly when they are trying to fill ships on new itineraries at short notice.

I am sure they will fill them anyway, and remember they make much more money on board with new cruisers than Elite cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am sure they will fill them anyway, and remember they make much more money on board with new cruisers than Elite cruisers.

But experienced cruisers are more likely to book those cruises. Newbies may be too afraid to cruise after the publicity Diamond has had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can't see why not. It is supposed to be one of the Elite benefits, and since I only reached Elite last year and haven't had a chance to book a new release cruise yet so I'm curious to see if it really does give an advantage.

 

It does give an advantage for a normal release.

 

However, this is exceptional. It's not a release in terms of the standard launch schedule - and that's for 2 years out where there's ample time for all to make a booking. With only a couple of months to go for some cruises, taking another day off that would be just disadvantaging others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But experienced cruisers are more likely to book those cruises. Newbies may be too afraid to cruise after the publicity Diamond has had.

 

Evidence says the opposite - some of the QE sailings have sold out in one day. Though to be fair, their pricing was much sharper than Princess' (though is also closer in so understandable). I'd be very surprised if the Princess ones sell as quickly, given many prices are comparable to their regular pricing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Evidence says the opposite - some of the QE sailings have sold out in one day. Though to be fair, their pricing was much sharper than Princess' (though is also closer in so understandable). I'd be very surprised if the Princess ones sell as quickly, given many prices are comparable to their regular pricing.

Not as sharp as it initially looks. Remember gratuities are additional on Cunard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird! I have had no email from Princess yet regarding the new itineraries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

It does give an advantage for a normal release.

 

However, this is exceptional. It's not a release in terms of the standard launch schedule - and that's for 2 years out where there's ample time for all to make a booking. With only a couple of months to go for some cruises, taking another day off that would be just disadvantaging others.

I vaguely remember them opening the rescheduled Pacific Princess itineraries to Elites a day before general bookings. We weren't Elite then so had to wait the extra day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have pre-registered, with the clean one's, Sapphire's over the top ex: Fremantle Jun 8...always wanted to do this itinerary but wasn't willing to pay the OTT price's .....very happy with the current offer...fingers crossed we get a berth😁    We too are Elite but not expecting any early booking privilege....

Edited by badgerbill
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the email... did price check on cruises 2020-2021 season on the Sapphire to compare the winter prices...

 

Use cost per day over different length cruises as well as the difference cost for cabin classes....

 

After that the prices are in the ball park  nothing super special.....

 

Saw the round Australia one and as usual cost per is higher than a 13 nighter( rate per day ) by 20-30% ..

 

So will think about it... have a cruise booked for Nov 2020.

 

Cheers Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's weird! I have had no email from Princess yet regarding the new itineraries.  

Same and I'm Elite with them. Go figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am sure they will fill them anyway, and remember they make much more money on board with new cruisers than Elite cruisers.

I dunno. You seen my bar and casino bills of late:D No wonder the Casino host was always offering me free drinks on the Majestic Princess haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, badgerbill said:

We have pre-registered, with the clean one's, Sapphire's over the top ex: Fremantle Jun 8...always wanted to do this itinerary but wasn't willing to pay the OTT price's .....very happy with the current offer...fingers crossed we get a berth😁    We too are Elite but not expecting any early booking privilege....

We've done the same 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, badgerbill said:

Sapphire's over the top ex: Fremantle Jun 8...always wanted to do this itinerary but wasn't willing to pay the OTT price's

 

Not just that, but it's a winter Top End Princess cruise. Which is a very different (IMO better) option than a summer Top End cruise, and not something you see every day.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

Not just that, but it's a winter Top End Princess cruise. Which is a very different (IMO better) option than a summer Top End cruise, and not something you see every day.

Totally agree, time of year was the other draw card 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Same and I'm Elite with them. Go figure. 

Go figure indeed. Well at least there is some reassurance knowing it wasn't just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...