Please remember CREW when talking about Coronavirus

SakeDad

I have REPEATEDLY asked folks to remember the crew members who are not only quarantined but have to WORK for no tips and possibly get infected by the very passengers they are taking care of!!! This needs to be paid close attention to! As a former crew member (and paying passenger) I can only imagine what they are going through.
Imagine you were at the end of your 9 month contract and finally going home to see your family, your children, your friends and have a well deserved rest before your next contract (or you never want to be on a ship again and just want to be home!) only to be told you will be onboard for who knows how long, under quarantine, serving passengers as your fellow crew members get sick and are taken off with no new crew members arriving until it's all over!!!!!

Princess is taking great care of the passengers and giving 100%+ compensation...I would hope they take just as good care of their crew or nothing they do for the passengers will matter in the end to me and millions of others.
WE ARE WATCHING!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/02/10/crew-members-plea-for-rescue-as-coronavirus-outbreak-on-cruise-ship-grows-to-135-cases/#59dcbe4c4266

• Like 7

February 9, 2020 at 2:30PM PT

Compensation – Full Refund and Future Cruise Credit

Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members receive their designated gratuities for the work performed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:

Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members receive their designated gratuities for the work performed.

I hope that actually happens. But I can tell you many crew members who share tips will end up losing out. It's an extremely complicated system that works when all is normal but this will not be an easy situation for them to figure out fairly. Such as, waiters get tips and give some extra to their bussers, bartenders get tips and may share with their barbacks...it's not everyone on every line and sometimes a personal choice...but it gets complicated.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Princess says crew will get their tips. Maybe not tips above the suggested amounts but then waiters aren't doing the same amount of work either. I don't see a problem here.

Stewards/waiters/bar staff are on a guarantee income, much of it from the fleet-wide tips pool. That would not change, but they would not get the additional tips that many passengers give them.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Stewards/waiters/bar staff are on a guarantee income, much of it from the fleet-wide tips pool. That would not change, but they would not get the additional tips that many passengers give them.

Exactly like i said. But they aren't in the dining rooms every night so why would they get additional tips?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Princess says crew will get their tips. Maybe not tips above the suggested amounts but then waiters aren't doing the same amount of work either. I don't see a problem here.

You think taking 3 meals a day to every passenger in their cabin, and then having to pick up the dishes afterwards and take them to the galley is not more work than serving meals in the restaurants?

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The guaranteed income is a minimum that the law requires, and is far lower than the normal income.  A typical cabin steward will make $1200-1400/month, while the guaranteed minimum is $675/month.  If the DSC doesn't fall below the minimum, the cruise line is not required to make up the difference.  Now, whether Princess will cover the full amount of the DSC is another thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Saw this today:

Because of the extraordinary circumstances onboard Diamond Princess, Princess Cruises will refund the full cruise fare for all guests including air travel, hotel, ground transportation, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and other items. In addition, guests will not be charged for any onboard incidental charges during the additional time onboard.

Princess Cruises will also provide guests with a future cruise credit equal to the cruise fare paid for the voyage which ended on February 4.

Guests have been provided a letter delivered to their stateroom with details on how to process this refund.

Personally if I were on the ship I would still give the extra tip..Like someone stated above they are still working coming to deliver food and pick up food...probably even some crew who normally dont do this like perhaps the photo department, cruise directer staff, dancers etc.  Everyone is pitching in to help in an extremely tough situation. 

• Like 2

Crew is on the job, my sympathy is with the passengers who are loosing time & salary from work &who might be missing events at home like weddings and such. Passengers are isolated in cabins while crew gets to move around the ship. It's an unfortunate situation to be sure but I feel badly more for the passengers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Crew is on the job, my sympathy is with the passengers who are loosing time & salary from work &who might be missing events at home like weddings and such. Passengers are isolated in cabins while crew gets to move around the ship. It's an unfortunate situation to be sure but I feel badly more for the passengers. 

Sympathy to all onboard.

JohnMcEnroe.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gershep said:

Princess has done the right thing for both the crew and passengers.

I haven't read thru all the threads on this, but it does appear Princess is doing all it can to  care for it's passengers and take care of it's crew for this situation.  It's bound to cost them a fortune, but it's good to see them doing what they are doing for all onboard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

OMG!!!                 You really think the crew is allowed to move around the ship???    

Sympathy to everyone on the ship.    

I have added your name to my list of people to stay away from on a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, oldfashioncruiser said:

OMG!!!                 You really think the crew is allowed to move around the ship???    

Sympathy to everyone on the ship.    

I have added your name to my list of people to stay away from on a cruise.

While I don't agree with that poster's premise, crew have to move around the ship, as they are continuing to operate the ship and serve the passengers.  Now, I will balance that with the requirement that they stay in their cabins during off hours, but they are not limited to their small cabins for 23 hours, like many guests.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Hopefully enough passengers are opting in to quarantine on land. Although all meals will be 'Japanese' style only in bento boxes that would lighten crew load. 

I don't believe that is an option.  The only passengers removed from the ship are those who have been tested and confirmed to have coronavirus.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't believe that is an option.  The only passengers removed from the ship are those who have been tested and confirmed to have coronavirus.

Did I miss read this?

280831590_Screenshot_20200213-084607_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.adb8d2865d05fac18a4cf6145187b633.jpg