Forward facing balcony doors on Regal and Royal

gwcruzer

I appreciate your answers. We are booked in L106 next month. I was under the impression that these doors were never locked when I booked the cabin.  Thanks for telling me what I was hoping to hear😊

Gail

Just disembarked from the Royal on 2/10/20 having spent 4 nights in L101. The sliding door was never locked by the crew while the ship was under sail. I did notice a small magnetic contact switch in the door frame and slider. This may indicate that the door is open or closed to someone? They may require that the door be closed and locked in rough seas and this switch let's them know if it is not.

We did have the door cracked open about 2 to 3 inches at night to let in some fresh air and no one ever notified us to close it even when the ship was moving.

Happy Trails 🥃

We were in L108 on the Regal for the 1/5 sailing. We were never denied access to our balcony, even with gale force winds leaving Port Everglades. They did however, tuck all of the furniture, (2 lounge chairs, 2 wooden armed chairs and wooden round table) into the front for safety.

20200106_065845[1].jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gwcruzer said:

Has anyone experienced forward balcony doors being locked when at sea?  This was recently reported on a “live” thread. I sure hope this isn’t true😊

There are no locks on Princess balcony doors.

Those balconies are always accessible. Windy? Yes but still accessible.

3 hours ago, BigWaveDave87 said:

Just disembarked from the Royal on 2/10/20 having spent 4 nights in L101. The sliding door was never locked by the crew while the ship was under sail. I did notice a small magnetic contact switch in the door frame and slider. This may indicate that the door is open or closed to someone? They may require that the door be closed and locked in rough seas and this switch let's them know if it is not.

We did have the door cracked open about 2 to 3 inches at night to let in some fresh air and no one ever notified us to close it even when the ship was moving.

Happy Trails 🥃

It is related to the HVAC system. Not all Princess ships have this. I did see it on the Sky.

Seems to be on the newer builds only.

Some have said it cuts the AC when it is open. This was not true on the Sky. The AC stayed running regardless. They may also be for future use with the HVAC system.

It is not for checking to see if a passenger left it open.

4A76FB2A-EB3E-4431-9B99-BEDACDC1088E.jpeg

CA894B7D-43D8-4A99-89E8-15AFB8051DC9.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

But the balcony door can be locked by the cabin occupant, no? 

(Just like the rest of the cabins)  🤔

Yes the door handle seals/latches the door closed to stop/seal any air movement.

No lock per se.

It cannot be locked by someone so that it cannot be opened from inside.

Only if they were outside. But now we are off topic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes the door handle seals the door closed for air movement.

No lock per se.

It cannot be locked by someone so that it cannot be opened.

Only if they were outside. But now we are off topic.

I had a feeling that was the case. 

Good thing you came along to clear the air! 😵😇

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fishin' musician said:

One word of caution, do not open the balcony door when the door to the hallway is open,or vice versa. 

True!  We were on Royal in L107 and made the mistake just once.  It's no exaggeration to say a gale crossed through the cabin to the companionway.  Anything that wasn't nailed down took flight including paperbacks and other things you might expect to stay where put.  Basically the desk was wiped clean.

No, the balcony slider was never locked by anyone other than me.  I can imagine being asked not to open the door or venture out in the worst of conditions.  

2 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

One word of caution, do not open the balcony door when the door to the hallway is open,or vice versa. 

We do that every time we board the ship to clear out the cabin air and get fresh air in.  Love it!  It's a wind tunnel!  You just have to make sure the papers on the desk are weighted down.  lol