Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
craigjane

UpCharge for Comedy Shows on Encore/Tax charge on drinks in Miami/San Juan?

Recommended Posts

We will be sailing on the Encore the 2nd week of March.  I have been reading all of the reviews.  A couple people mentioned that while the ship is docked in Miami on embarkation day you have to pay taxes on your drinks even if you have the beverage package.  True or False?

Also one person mentioned that when you get on the ship and book a comedy show there is a $7.00 per person fee.  True or False?  

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True on the first, it would be the same as any bar you would buy a drink in in Miami.

 

Never saw any charge for the comedy shows on NCL but I haven't been on the Encore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will pay the local sales tax on any alcohol where the ship departs.  What is interesting besides the alcohol tax in San Juan but also the specialty dining tax.  I have read reviews and communicated here that their dinner on the ship was also taxed 11.5%.   This was news to me but confirmed it.  Not sure if it has always been or something new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, craigjane said:

We will be sailing on the Encore the 2nd week of March.  I have been reading all of the reviews.  A couple people mentioned that while the ship is docked in Miami on embarkation day you have to pay taxes on your drinks even if you have the beverage package.  True or False?

Also one person mentioned that when you get on the ship and book a comedy show there is a $7.00 per person fee.  True or False?  

 

Thank you!

 

Just got off Encore on Sunday. Had a wonderful cruise.

 

1) True because thats the local law. It also applies to any purchase done while the ship is till docked.

2) Totally false. I dont inderstand how and why people make things up like this, including going as far as making up a $7.00 fee per person! I have never heard of a "fee" on booking anything!! Totally bogus!

 

 

 

 

Edited by gerry1.10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes on paying taxes on drinks in US ports. Every sailing I have been on, this has added up to under $10 for the two of us, so I wouldn't stress about it.

 

Never heard of a fee for any of the comedy shows. That is just weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the cruise line whether or not local sales tax is passed on to the customer while in US ports. For example, Celebrity does not charge customers tax on drinks while in US ports, NCL charges customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaapie said:

It depends on the cruise line whether or not local sales tax is passed on to the customer while in US ports. For example, Celebrity does not charge customers tax on drinks while in US ports, NCL charges customers.

 

I have little doubt that Celebrity does in fact pass that expense along to passengers in the form of higher cruise fares. They just don't charge the individual passengers for specific drinks. Nothing is actually free... just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But charging local taxes on specialty dinners.  Is this new with NCL?  I never remember this before.

Edited by david_sobe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yes on paying taxes on drinks in US ports. Every sailing I have been on, this has added up to under $10 for the two of us, so I wouldn't stress about it.

 

Never heard of a fee for any of the comedy shows. That is just weird.

 

What about sailing out of New Orleans?  8 hours on the Mississippi until you hit the Gulf and then still have to get into international waters?  That could be a lot of $$$ in drink taxes...  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, craigjane said:

We will be sailing on the Encore the 2nd week of March.  I have been reading all of the reviews.  A couple people mentioned that while the ship is docked in Miami on embarkation day you have to pay taxes on your drinks even if you have the beverage package.  True or False?

Also one person mentioned that when you get on the ship and book a comedy show there is a $7.00 per person fee.  True or False?  

 

Thank you!

Definitely true about the tax on drinks. It is usually less than $1 per drink, so it is not going to break the bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chrisdar1 said:

 

What about sailing out of New Orleans?  8 hours on the Mississippi until you hit the Gulf and then still have to get into international waters?  That could be a lot of $$$ in drink taxes...  🙂

Yes, NCL charges you the tax while sailing down the Mississippi until out in the Gulf. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...