Le Havre, not Paris..

Larainerenee8

Hello!

We have a stop at Le Havre... we've been to Paris and the Normandy beaches. Loved them, but do not want to sit on a bus to go there again. We've also been to Rouen and loved that too.

Has anyone done a tour to either Deauville or Caen?

Is there enough to do in Le Havre if we decide to stay there for the day?

Hi there

We've only ever driven through Le Harve after getting off a ferry from the UK - I wouldn't really see it as a 'destination' in itself.

I'd also say the same for Caen....

But Deauville is lovely - long beach walks, 1920s style elegant hotels on the seafront.  We've stayed there a couple of times.

But my favourite nearby place is Honfleur - so maybe take a look there?  Its a harbour town and has lovely architecture and just makes me feel really relaxed and happy!

Or if you fancy going slightly further afield, a trip to Giverny (Monet's  home) is well worth the journey....

and I'm on this board as I too am looking for an idea of what to do when we have a stop in Le Harve - I'm thinking Rouen as we have only really ever driven through and Id love to see the cathedral close up...

• Like 1

Thank you... we visited Rouen, Honfleur and Giverny on a river cruise from Paris through Normandy. They were all beautiful. We did not go to Deauville, so that is a possibility.  We loved sitting at a cafe on the water in Honfleur and I could definitely do that again!

We too had already visited Honfleur, Rouen etc on previous trips and  intended to use the local bus to visit both Etretat and Fecamp on the Alabaster Coast, the equivalent of the  "white cliffs of Dover".

We ran out of time for Fecamp, but enjoyed  Etretat then got off the bus when we arrived back into the start of Le Havre and explored for a time there before returning to the ship.

The public bus got to Etretat through local villages on minor roads which was interesting, and stopped in the centre of Etretat, just 5 minutes walk from the sea front. It was less than an hour each way.

It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed walking along the cliffs in both directions. There are some rock formations too .There is also a monument to the two pilots who tried to fly from Paris to New York, and whose plane (the white bird) was last seen above Etretat.

If it is a good weather day you might enjoy this.

Suggest you read up on Etretat, Fecamp and Le Havre, also local transport in case anything has changed.

11 hours ago, Larainerenee8 said:

I've had a look at Rome2Rio for options. There IS a bus, but the journey is 2h 28m including changing in Caen ville where you have to get a tram to the Mémorial. There are only 3 busses a day. Your best bet is renting a car and going directly there, where you can rent audioguides. No need to pay for an expensive private tour. I have no personal experience of renting a car at the cruise terminal, but I'm sure someone on here will.

I found it incredibly moving - and sad in that "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

8 hours ago, PDXgranny said:

Is there a bus that takes you to Honfleur from the port? We’re on Apex May 10. 

No, we have never seen such a bus.  There might be a cruise line excursion that includes a bus from the port, but like most excursions you will be in a large group and likely pay too much for the tour.  There is a regional bus that goes between Le Havre and Honfleur. but it does not run often enough for most folks and you would have to get into Le Havre to get that bus.

There will be some taxis at the port that might be willing to take you to Honfleur.  They normally want about 20 Euros per person.  Another option is to simply rent a car for the day and go where you please.

Hank

• Like 1