Prime Rib

youagain

We were on the Breakaway from Jan. 11 to Feb. 1st, 2020 and there was NO PRIME RIB IN THE MDR!  Was very disappointed in the menus.  While the food tasted good, the selection of the food was pathetic.  There was sirloin (be it with different names) every night for the first 6 nights in the MDR. Also, very disappointed in the every day selection.  Been on 43 cruises and this is the first time that there was no salmon on the every day menu, they had breaded flounder instead, yuck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youagain said:

New to Norwegian and am trying to figure out dining reservations. Does anybody know on the 7 day Alaska Joy when Prim Rib is usually offered in free restaurants? THANKS!

Prime Rib was offered in The Local and Buffet on Days 1 and 7 on our cruise. Specials of the day can be found in the Freestyle Daily in the Restaurant times section. 
CDCF5A38-9FDE-4DB9-B8E3-0F01C83D0A4A.jpeg.5ce53ad8c7bab46735563c129b6bed07.jpeg

NCL has 14 different menus for their main dining room that rotate. There is a “classics” section that is the same every night (so you can always get a NY Strip, chicken dish, pasta dish, fish dish) and a sections with international specials of the night. 

If you want an example of menus from the Joy, this link is to our live post from August to Alaska 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We were on the Breakaway from Jan. 11 to Feb. 1st, 2020 and there was NO PRIME RIB IN THE MDR!  Was very disappointed in the menus.  While the food tasted good, the selection of the food was pathetic.  There was sirloin (be it with different names) every night for the first 6 nights in the MDR. Also, very disappointed in the every day selection.  Been on 43 cruises and this is the first time that there was no salmon on the every day menu, they had breaded flounder instead, yuck.

Will be going on the Breakaway February 29. Do you remember if they had the lobster tails?

2 hours ago, youagain said:

New to Norwegian and am trying to figure out dining reservations. Does anybody know on the 7 day Alaska Joy when Prim Rib is usually offered in free restaurants? THANKS!

Welcome!

Unfortunately, not likely to have prime rib anymore in the free dining rooms. I've been two 10+ day cruises and prime rib was not offered. It has been replaced with things like strip loin, beef ghoulash, and beef with chimichurri sauce. You can get a NY strip steak on the everyday menu in the free dining rooms. They used to offer prime rib as a dinner special in Cagney's but that is no more. On Breakaway in January, Prime Rib had been replaced with pepper steak. Ugh! And it used to be offered in the Garden Cafe, but that is no more either. So, it is clear that it has been removed.

If you want to pay for prime rib, you could choose Cagney's. I think it is around $32 plus 20% gratuity for a 16oz prime rib.  Sides are extra, so the $32 is just for the prime rib. I have tried it before (had a complimentary dinner), and I found it to be good.

Yes, main dining room food has taken a huge hit recently. Lots of repetition and big time declines, unless you like lots of cheap whitefish, chicken and pork.

8 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

Will be going on the Breakaway February 29. Do you remember if they had the lobster tails?

No. A few members here on the boards have labeled NCL....No Complimentary Lobster. Haha!

You will find lobster tail on the Ocean Blue menu. Very overpriced for frozen lobster (not just on NCL, most mass market lines serve frozen lobster). You just don't have to pay extra for it on many other cruiselines. Cheers!

We were on for the 10 night portion of your trip and also found there to be little variety in the food choices day to day compared to our last NCL cruise. The lunch buffet was practically the same every day. There was Prime Rib in Osheehan’s one night as well as the buffet but you are correct not in the MDR. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

Do they no longer have Prime Rib in O'Sheehans/Local once during the cruise?

They did not have it on Breakaway in January. Nightly Features during the cruise were...

Pepper Steak, Bourbon Chicken, "Mix" Grill BBQ, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Chicken and Seafood Paella, Shrimp Po Boy, Country Fried Chicken....anyone sense a chicken theme, here??, Chicken "Parmezan", Roast Beef, Seafood Roll, BBQ Pork Ribs.

The new menus have chicken everywhere, always on the everyday menu and at least one or two entrees are chicken or turkey on the daily rotation menu. Hope you like chicken. Such a nice elegant meal for a cruise.

Even chicken in Garden Cafe at lunch at the carving station....seemed like everyday.

Edited by blcruising

33 minutes ago, Cccc89 said:

We were on for the 10 night portion of your trip and also found there to be little variety in the food choices day to day compared to our last NCL cruise. The lunch buffet was practically the same every day. There was Prime Rib in Osheehan’s one night as well as the buffet but you are correct not in the MDR. 

Man, we missed the O'sheehan's prime rib and we checked every night.  I saved the dailies and it is not listed that O'Sheehans had prime rib on any of the nights. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain

59 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

They had 1.5 cold water lobster for $39. If you want a tail and filet (surf and turf), try $49. Plus, the 20% service charge. Yeah, pricing is getting a bit, stooopid.

Both of these have onboard upcharges if you already paid for a dining package. I think the lobster is $25 upcharge, surf and turf, $19. Plus, another 20% service charge.

8 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Man, we missed the O'sheehan's prime rib and we checked every night.  I saved the dailies and it is not listed that O'Sheehans had prime rib on any of the nights. 

I noticed they didn’t always put the O’Sheehans dinner offering in the daily each day. We only noticed because we passed one of the signs. We ended up grabbing some from the buffet before heading to a specialty reservation.

Poultry, anyone - well, get used to seeing more variety ... not just chicken, but turkey recipe, and, pork as well (except pork chops) as in shredded or pulled and shredded pork.  Lamb shank instead of leg of lamb.  Just different cuts of meat, for your convenience, of course - with a fancy descriptive label. 

Hey, cheers for not cooking, cleaning & grocery shopping.  How about coal fish instead of wild / farm-raised salmon ... 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Poultry, anyone - well, get used to seeing more variety ... not just chicken, but turkey recipe, and, pork as well (except pork chops) as in shredded or pulled and shredded pork.  Lamb shank instead of leg of lamb.  Just different cuts of meat, for your convenience, of course - with a fancy descriptive label. 

Hey, cheers for not cooking, cleaning & grocery shopping.  How about coal fish instead of wild / farm-raised salmon ... 

Yeah, the coal fish was the WORST!!!  Also, had 2 different types of trout on 2 different nights, cod one night, pollack (yes pollack which is $1.99 lb here ) on MDR  menu.  One night they did offer walleye which is $11.99 a pound here and that was the most expensive fish offered.  I did not get it though since we live at Lake Erie and can catch it for free. :classic_rolleyes:

No lamb chops, they offered lamb shank.  I took pictures of most of the menus, need to get them on the computer and post them.  IMO, the menus were just a step above Carnivals Meatloaf, Fried Chicken, etc.  We are sailing Nieuw Statendam this year and have can't wait to try their food, I seen they have Halibut on the MDR menu and I can't wait, one of my favorite fish.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

12 hours ago, blcruising said:

They did not have it on Breakaway in January. Nightly Features during the cruise were...

Pepper Steak, Bourbon Chicken, "Mix" Grill BBQ, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Chicken and Seafood Paella, Shrimp Po Boy, Country Fried Chicken....anyone sense a chicken theme, here??, Chicken "Parmezan", Roast Beef, Seafood Roll, BBQ Pork Ribs.

The new menus have chicken everywhere, always on the everyday menu and at least one or two entrees are chicken or turkey on the daily rotation menu. Hope you like chicken. Such a nice elegant meal for a cruise.

Even chicken in Garden Cafe at lunch at the carving station....seemed like everyday.

I feel like chicken tonight 🐓

• Haha 1