Carnival ship maintenance

jimbo5544

There was another thread on this earlier and looked for it but could not find it.  At any rate,  John posted on his page that the issue with ships rusting was with a vendor

and paint product.  Just wanted everyone to know the reason.  

45 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Really... ?  Do you board with white gloves ?

Why do you bother with Carnival if white hulls are important to you ?

Seriously? I had a cabin on the Liberty in September and the balcony had serious rust. It really makes one wonder about how well the ship is being maintained.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There was another thread on this earlier and looked for it but could not find it.  At any rate,  John posted on his page that the issue with ships rusting was with a vendor

and paint product.  Just wanted everyone to know the reason.  

Thanks for the info Jim. We were docked across from the Glory and I believe the Horizon in Cozumel last week and noticed the rust.

Was surprised about the Horizon especially.

• Like 1

Hey, If worse comes to worse, just blame the paint supplier. 😀

So, how long did it take them to figure out that the paint was the problem?  Why does CCL always feel the need to have excuses for everything?  I'm not bashing Jimbo, just a concerned customer. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I take this the way I take most pronouncements from Heald on technical matters, with a large grain of salt.  There are very few manufacturers of marine paints, and Carnival doesn't have a proprietary "blend", so any problems they are having would be shared by many other shipping lines (even other Carnival lines), and I don't know of any published, across the board problems.  My feeling is that the crew are not properly trained in surface preparation and paint application.  Fixing even a small area of rust on a balcony for instance probably should take 2-3 days to complete.  There is the removal of the old paint and the rust, at least down to a mildly rusty, but solid base metal.  Then the application of one to two coats of anti-corrosive (primer) paint, at the right temperature and humidity level, with the right paint film thickness, and paying attention to the square edges where paint coatings first fail.  Then there should be one to two coats of topcoat, again in the right environmental conditions and thicknesses.  I'm not sure that Carnival wants to inconvenience the passengers long enough to do a proper job, so the new paint fails as fast or faster than the original, and the rust is back.  Any moisture or salt on the surface between coats needs to be removed before recoating.  I could see where a delivery to one or two ships might have a production problem in the paint, or it was not stored properly, but for a fleetwide problem, I don't think its the paint, its the painter.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Unfortunately, I take this the way I take most pronouncements from Heald on technical matters, with a large grain of salt.  There are very few manufacturers of marine paints, and Carnival doesn't have a proprietary "blend", so any problems they are having would be shared by many other shipping lines (even other Carnival lines), and I don't know of any published, across the board problems.  My feeling is that the crew are not properly trained in surface preparation and paint application.  Fixing even a small area of rust on a balcony for instance probably should take 2-3 days to complete.  There is the removal of the old paint and the rust, at least down to a mildly rusty, but solid base metal.  Then the application of one to two coats of anti-corrosive (primer) paint, at the right temperature and humidity level, with the right paint film thickness, and paying attention to the square edges where paint coatings first fail.  Then there should be one to two coats of topcoat, again in the right environmental conditions and thicknesses.  I'm not sure that Carnival wants to inconvenience the passengers long enough to do a proper job, so the new paint fails as fast or faster than the original, and the rust is back.  Any moisture or salt on the surface between coats needs to be removed before recoating.  I could see where a delivery to one or two ships might have a production problem in the paint, or it was not stored properly, but for a fleetwide problem, I don't think its the paint, its the painter.

Enjoy reading your posts as always. I don’t pay attention to the details, but I have seen many times when a ship was in a port where painters appeared to be painting directly over rust on the hull. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Hey, If worse comes to worse, just blame the paint supplier. 😀

So, how long did it take them to figure out that the paint was the problem?  Why does CCL always feel the need to have excuses for everything?  I'm not bashing Jimbo, just a concerned customer. 

Because they were asked.  It made no sense that a company who has maintained their ships suddenly stop.  

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Just telling you what he said.  As a frequent cruiser it is noticeable to me lately, not forever. He also mentioned that other cruise lines had similar issues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Really... ?  Do you board with white gloves ?

Why do you bother with Carnival if white hulls are important to you ?

Don’t be sensitive. its not a big deal. Obviously it’s an issue as they made an announcement. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Because they were asked.  It made no sense that a company who has maintained their ships suddenly stop.  

I get that. It just seems a little cheesy to blame the paint. You would think a buisness thats been around for 50yrs, would have a pretty good idea of what paint is best.

• Like 5

Just now, FSHLOT said:

I get that. It just seems a little cheesy to blame the paint. You would think a buisness thats been around for 50yrs, would have a pretty good idea of what paint is best.

Well I can think of several scenarios, but have zero facts to support. Why would they not want to take care of their ships?

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well I can think of several scenarios, but have zero facts to support. Why would they not want to take care of their ships?

Who said they dont want to take care of their ships? I always thought they do a great job maintaining their ships. But recently it seems like they are slacking a little. Maybe the cut-back of staff,or proper training has something to do with it. But blaming paint? Come on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Who said they dont want to take care of their ships? I always thought they do a great job maintaining their ships. But recently it seems like they are slacking a little. Maybe the cut-back of staff,or proper training has something to do with it. But blaming paint? Come on.

We will see

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

A cut back in staff and lack of training is literally "not taking care of their ships"

My last Carnival cruise was on Magic, and the disrepair all over the out side of the ship was glaring.  Lots of issues with the water park, things not working, rust, peeling paint, damaged floors, and general disrepair absolutely everywhere.  It's undeniable how poorly the ship is maintained.

The inside was great, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Any moisture or salt on the surface between coats needs to be removed before recoating.  I could see where a delivery to one or two ships might have a production problem in the paint, or it was not stored properly, but for a fleetwide problem, I don't think its the paint, its the painter.

⬆️   This!!  ⬆️

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BNBR said:

A cut back in staff and lack of training is literally "not taking care of their ships"

My last Carnival cruise was on Magic, and the disrepair all over the out side of the ship was glaring.  Lots of issues with the water park, things not working, rust, peeling paint, damaged floors, and general disrepair absolutely everywhere.  It's undeniable how poorly the ship is maintained.

The inside was great, though.

Not shocked at your reply, but a good reference point.  I will be on the Magic in three weeks and will take specific time and effort to confirm you View Igor not).  

Ever spend some time around the people who make the biggest deal around this? Their complaining rarely starts or stops there. Either way, this is something Carnival looks to have gotten lax around. They should get it resolved because there are too many people out there concerned about optics and perceptions way more than actual substance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not shocked at your reply, but a good reference point.  I will be on the Magic in three weeks and will take specific time and effort to confirm you View Igor not).  

Well, here are just a few examples.  I was considering a tetanus shot before stepping back out on to our balcony.  By the way, I did clearly say the interior of the ship looked great.  It's just the exterior.

20190622_225150.jpg

20190622_133543.jpg

20190622_133559.jpg

20190628_155235.jpg

20190622_133602.jpg

20190626_115201.jpg

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Ever spend some time around the people who make the biggest deal around this? Their complaining rarely starts or stops there. Either way, this is something Carnival looks to have gotten lax around. They should get it resolved because there are too many people out there concerned about optics and perceptions way more than actual substance.

The same reason people paint and maintain their homes.  It's not out of line to expect things to look nice and well maintained.  Optics does matter and most people understand that.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

For them to bring it up attests to the issue.  We will see how they address it 

I think we mostly agree Carnivals product is good and we pay good money for it. It’s understandable when you Pay good money  For a product you want to see it maintained.  Yes we are going on a ship that will have plenty to do, but it shouldn’t look run down. Carnival should have a standard that takes this into account  and they should know what the ship looks like. If I went to a 5 start resort and saw broken stairs leading up to it or overgrown bushes blocking the doors - I would wonder what was inside. 
I think this is a long time coming and it should have been felt with earlier but I am happy they are addressing it. 

• Like 2