Will Corona Virus Stop You Cruising?

farawayatsea

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

If the cruise is cancelled, will Celebrity give you 100% refund?  Any compensation for airfare-or will the airline give you a no penalty change of flights? 

If cancelled I imagine Celebrity will give us a 100% refund. I'm not sure about the airfares. We do have insurance for all of us.

I looked at my travel insurance today and could find no cover for cancelling flights unless the foreign office advised it was unsafe to travel to one of the countries we were travelling to. If a cruise we were going on was cancelled by the cruise line we would lose the money paid for flights and hotels. 

I am concerned about the cruise industry for sure - then add in the airline flight as well.

Just flew in from San Fran to Toronto - almost all the Asian folks on the plane had masks on. All the flight staff had masks. I was not a pleasant experience to be frank. Lots of coughing by various people. The San Fran airport full of people with masks.  It was all rather like a modest horror movie.

And I am paying money for this?

I lived in Toronto during the SARS epidemic - it was terrifying. I drove to work, purchased stores of food, avoided stores etc. I had to go to the hospital unfortunately and it was just like a space situation with suits etc.

This virus situation, and SARS, both came from China - issue there.

The book Future Shock spoke to the consequences of the unrestricted movement of people, goods and animals - we are living it on many fronts.

Will not be booking any travel for the next while, will enjoy driving my Porsche around Canada and the USA.

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

I am concerned about the cruise industry for sure - then add in the airline flight as well.

Just flew in from San Fran to Toronto - almost all the Asian folks on the plane had masks on. All the flight staff had masks. I was not a pleasant experience to be frank. Lots of coughing by various people. The San Fran airport full of people with masks.  It was all rather like a modest horror movie.

And I am paying money for this?

I lived in Toronto during the SARS epidemic - it was terrifying. I drove to work, purchased stores of food, avoided stores etc. I had to go to the hospital unfortunately and it was just like a space situation with suits etc.

This virus situation, and SARS, both came from China - issue there.

The book Future Shock spoke to the consequences of the unrestricted movement of people, goods and animals - we are living it on many fronts.

Will not be booking any travel for the next while, will enjoy driving my Porsche around Canada and the USA.

The Porsche road trip sounds like a great idea.  My neighbor has a brand new Porsche!

• Like 1

We are postponing a back-to-back Europe to South America we have scheduled for later this year.  No cruise is worth getting deathly ill for.  We are pushing it forward to 2021, and hoping that they will have come out with a vaccine by then. I also read that if the airlines know you are coming off a "sick ship" they may not allow you to travel.  So what do you do then if you are stuck in a foreign country, unable to get home?

6 hours ago, farawayatsea said:

When this question was posed last week most cruisers said they are not worried and the outbreak will have little or no impact on their cruising plans.

I'm wondering if now with the spread to Korea and Italy and Iran if everyone still feels the same way??

No change to plans for our Caribbean cruise next month.  Also have an Italy cruise booked for July - currently have no plans to change that unless the situation changes dramatically from where it is today.

We've decided to hold off booking any cruises to Iran for the time being.

Mike

• Like 2

Cutbacks and higher prices have already caused me to cruise less with Celebrity. If the fear lowers prices or increases quality because Celebrity needs to attract passengers I may be more likely to cruise more with Celebrity. Panic usually creates opportunities.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:39 PM, Bo1953 said:

Not me, unless my spouse says no and 'currently' we will! LOL

bon voyage

Nor me. Well not unless the cruise line cancels the cruise. I'm on Eclipse in Asia this November but strongly suspect it will be a dim and distant memory by then. 

There are a few people on the various facebook groups stating that they've cancelled cruises as they're fearful of contracting corona virus. But what next? Don't drive in case you're involved in a collision? Don't leave the house in case a falling meteorite smacks you on the back of the head? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In limbo.  To go or not.  Have a Caribbean cruise in a March.  Insurance will not cover cancellations for the threat of an illness.  We have friends who already cancelled.  We have a few weeks to decide.  There is no advantage to backing out now.  We would still lose what we paid.  We will make our choice closer to embarkation. We have emails that are trying for future bookings at extremely low fares.  Even if they give it away, I would be hesitant to book. After the diamond Princess quarantine, if I go I would take extra meds.  At least I am booked into a veranda cabin.  Would definitely cancel if I had booked an Oceanview or Inside. 

35 minutes ago, Orator said:

Cutbacks and higher prices have already caused me to cruise less with Celebrity. If the fear lowers prices or increases quality because Celebrity needs to attract passengers I may be more likely to cruise more with Celebrity. Panic usually creates opportunities.

Very true. I have noted one nationality in particular scare very easily at the threat of political unrest, bad weather or disease resulting in prices crashing when in reality the 'threat' is over hyped by the media! 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:08 AM, farawayatsea said:

When this question was posed last week most cruisers said they are not worried and the outbreak will have little or no impact on their cruising plans.

I'm wondering if now with the spread to Korea and Italy and Iran if everyone still feels the same way??

Nothing has changed for us. SARs went worldwide too. The corona virus is on every continent except Antarctica at this point. Cruising won't change that. This will not stop us from cruising. We are heading out in a couple weeks!

Sherri

Edited by girljerk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sbt518 said:

At this point I think I'm less likely to get the virus on my upcoming cruise than on my daily subway commute to work.  I'm just trying to stay healthy so that I CAN go on vacation!

Can you get back home from your daily subway commute though 🤔?

We have a July cruise planned and been discussing possible cancellation.  Final payment is not due to July so we still have time to weigh options.  
If we were scheduled to cruise soon, we would definitely cancel. I have been in healthcare for 40 yrs and have had to quarantine patients over the years.
With ports being cancelled, people possibly being quarantined, flights being delayed due to x,y,z., not to mention a greater likelihood of getting ill, I would gladly forgo that mess.  

Wife and I will have to cancel an Adriatic cruise and a family wedding in Portugal. I've had two near-fatal bouts of pneumonia since 2017 and damned if I want to risk another pulmonary infection. We ;just hope the virus will fade away. Besides, I don't like Mexican beer.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:03 PM, CTBob said:

We are scheduled for the Edge transatlantic ending in Rome and I am getting more concerned every day.  If we hadn't already made final payment I probably would have canceled.  CTBob

Well, it looks like the US has raised its travel advisory to Level 3 for Italy (avoiding non-essential travel).

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-28-20-intl-hnk/index.html