Will Corona Virus Stop You Cruising?

farawayatsea

6 minutes ago, agibeault said:

It won't stop me because I'm already booked. But yes, I'm nervous of being quarantined to my stateroom. If I wasn't already booked, I wouldn't consider a cruise right now. I just keep reminding myself that chances are extremely small of being quarantined and MANY ships are cruising right now with no problems. I'm also happy that my cruise is soon because later on the spread may be much worse. But even with all the worry floating around I am VERY excited for my upcoming trip 🙂 

Why are you assuming the spread will be much worse?  Lots of safeguards in place that were not there a few weeks ago.

We may edit out a few cruises.. as we go along.  Not worth the risk of illness away from home and being controlled by the cruise line and others.  Some folks on the Royal ship out of Bayonne were told nothing..til they were off the ship.  

We came home from  a Fla vacation last week and are  now confined at home with flu...It has been very difficult and would be much worse on a ship in a tiny balc cabin. Our dtr is pregnant.. due soon...and we can't  even help her out

I cancelled my cruise in April for other reasons, but I'm happy that I did. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen in the next few months.

Long-term I don't think this is an issue. Everything will eventually work itself out. But I do think it add uncertainty over the coming months.

We have two European cruises this Summer and as of now will still be going. Having said that we had a land holiday planned in Thailand and Singapore for April and are thinking of cancelling. Nothing paid for yet so won't be out of pocket 

We’re still going. Our next cruise is at the end of March in the Caribbean. If it’s still running rampant and spreads to US and Caribbean in the next month and a half, I think we’ll have bigger worries than if we’re going on the cruise or not. 

• Like 3

We have one booked for the end of March and are going.

However, dh takes 9 different perscription meds. and I dread lugging an additional 14 days worth with us,  but  ... you gotta do what you gotta do.😟

I might start looking for price drops on some cruises I'm following.

Edited by mafig

Nope. First, I trust the cruise line will do EVERYTHING it can to screen, keep the ship clean, enforce hand washing and other practices, because it's just not good for business if ships become infected. Second, with an upcoming cruise to the Caribbean, I see it as far-fetched that anyone traveling through Asia in the preceding two weeks would then be cruising, and that the few folks who are unfortunately infected in the US have plans to join us. We will definitely take more precautions with homeopathic immunity products, more so than normal. I usually wear a disposable glove at the buffet so will be more diligent. I don't touch stairway rails, etc. 

We always bring Tamiflu on cruises, btw. 

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Why are you assuming the spread will be much worse?  Lots of safeguards in place that were not there a few weeks ago.

Just said it *may* be worse in the future, which is possible. Of course we all hope it gets better however I think we will be seeing more of these types of viruses in the future rather than less. That being said, I don't feel it is a real threat to me at this point in time, and where I will be cruising.

28 minutes ago, Realblonde474 said:

Remember when we were only worried about norovirus and hangovers?

And no, it will not keep me off of a ship.  I think we are more at risk driving to the airport..

Donna

I'm still most worried about noro and hangover! lol

• Like 1

Will continue. Doing Europe and TA, then a Japan-TP in May 2021. Will review the Japan cruise in the Fall and see if Corona continues or starts back up and is a major threat. 

But we all must realize that cruising is more risky than many other vacation venues. When we see reports of ships having large outbreaks of norovirus, we don’t realize how many get this virus when visiting places such as DisneyWorld and the symptoms then show up after leaving. But with that said, cruise ships have a more vulnerable clientele, we are confined in common areas and same dining areas longer than most other vacation experiences. It’s the nature of cruising. 

So, we’ll watch how corona virus progresses. Either it recedes because of the actions being taken worldwide, or because viruses tend (but not for sure at all) to reduce as the weather heats up. Many medical sites are saying that may not occur with this virus. Anyone saying they think it may recede with summer coming is just blowing hot air. Ha. We’ll see. But all that means is that it then can return with a fury in the Fall/Winter as do many flu’s. 

Enough. we live with many risks. This is another one to take into account. I’ve been tracking the SR availability on my Nov 2020 TA and it is over 90% 8 months ahead with no decreases. So we’ll just have to see how it all goes and how it impacts the vacationing I love.

Heck, a group went skying in France and were exposed there. And by the way, I don’t see this as ‘media hysteria’. We always seem to blame the messenger. If they report on it, they are being hysterical or sensationalizing it; if they don’t they are hiding it. Goes with all the other conspiracies that come alive along with a new risk. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

Not us! Look, it seems that some pandemic pops up every year, it’s Sika, it’s Saars, , its Noro, it’s well you get it. Not saying these are not serious, but if we knee jerked reaction at every one of these things (and next year’s to come) , we would all stay home in a bubble. Live life, take precautions  and trust In God!

Have a 24 day Oceania Cruise booked for March 18 and I WILL be on that ship.  My next cruise - September on Millie - I'm taking a wait and see approach!  That cruise will be from Vancouver to Yokohama with two other ports in Japan.  I'll keep an eye out for cases in Japan as it nears final payment.  Low number of cases, I WILL be on that ship as well!

Donna