Encore Haven bedrooms info, please

wags

We are booked on the Encore in an H4 2-bedroom family suite on deck 17. I have looked on several review sites, including NCL, but I cannot find one that describes the second bedroom.

They all show pictures of the family room and the master bedroom but not the second  BR.  I have heard it is quite small with a twin size bed and no window.

Because it cost me a lot and I will be sleeping in that room I would really like to know about it.  Any info you can give me will be very appreciated. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, wags said:

We are booked on the Encore in an H4 2-bedroom family suite on deck 17. I have looked on several review sites, including NCL, but I cannot find one that describes the second bedroom.

They all show pictures of the family room and the master bedroom but not the second  BR.  I have heard it is quite small with a twin size bed and no window.

Because it cost me a lot and I will be sleeping in that room I would really like to know about it.  Any info you can give me will be very appreciated. Thanks.

We have a 2-bedroom Haven suite booked, as well.  There are quite a few youtube videos.  

1 hour ago, wags said:

We were just in an H4 on deck 17. Yes the second bedroom is quite small and windowless, but assuming you have

access to the living room portion you will be able to go out on the balcony so that is a plus. Also you have access

to all the Haven amenities.

Peachypooh,   Was the bed in the small BR a sofa bed? If so did you leave the bed open all day so you could nap or did the steward close it and open it again at night?

Was there room to navigate with it open?

7 minutes ago, wags said:

Peachypooh,   Was the bed in the small BR a sofa bed? If so did you leave the bed open all day so you could nap or did the steward close it and open it again at night?

The person who was going to be staying in that second bedroom couldn't make it so we didn't use the bed.

The steward will do what you ask he or she to do  if it is a sofa bed and you want to leave it open. Also I

am sure you can get to the bathroom if it does open. Hopefully someone has more information for you.

3 hours ago, wags said:

I was in room 17716 on the Encore 02/10/20 Cruise. The second bedroom is quite small, a sofa makes into a double bed. The room steward set up the bed the first day and made it up each day without putting it back as a sofa. This room has a bath with shower.

Just to let you know, the balcony on this room extends past the master bathroom. The bathroom has a pull down sun shade over the bath tub and in the shower room. However; this does not provide privacy. If the light is on in the bathroom after dark, even with the shades pulled, anyone on the balcony can see right in. We were docked next to another ship in San Juan, not leaving until midnight. If you took a shower, you were giving a peep show to passengers on the other ship.

2 hours ago, JDIRWINCPA said:

I was in room 17716 on the Encore 02/10/20 Cruise. The second bedroom is quite small, a sofa makes into a double bed. The room steward set up the bed the first day and made it up each day without putting it back as a sofa. This room has a bath with shower.

Just to let you know, the balcony on this room extends past the master bathroom. The bathroom has a pull down sun shade over the bath tub and in the shower room. However; this does not provide privacy. If the light is on in the bathroom after dark, even with the shades pulled, anyone on the balcony can see right in. We were docked next to another ship in San Juan, not leaving until midnight. If you took a shower, you were giving a peep show to passengers on the other ship.

We tried not to use that shower after dark if there was any danger of someone being able to see us and we had the same situation in San Juan.If you need to use the toilet area if you keep the lights off and just try to see by the light that comes in from the other rooms it would avoid this problem (although depending on one's eyesightit  might make for a tripping/falling hazard).

3 hours ago, wags said:

We stayed in the 2 Bedroom on the Escape in November. I didn't like the bed it that it's basically on the floor, no legs. It basically unfolded to the floor. Unlike the old fashion pull out couches you should actually sit on the bed and it had legs. My 32 year old son stayed in the room and he didn't complain. He said that it was comfortable but I just didn't like it. It wasn't what I expected.  We kept it made all the time. We never asked the steward to turn it back into a sofa and he could move around perfectly fine. Maybe the Encore's second bedroom is larger but it looks the same from the video.

Thank you all for responding. I will be using that BR and I am an 88 yo Great-Grandmother! If the bed is on the floor it should be quite a show watching me try to get into it and out of it. I might end up using the sofa bed in the family room.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:42 PM, JDIRWINCPA said:

First, thank you JDIRWINCPA.  You have confirmed what I had been thinking.  I am currently booked in a Haven (H4) Two-Bedroom Family Villa on May 10.  I will be with my wife and three kids.  Though initially I would want the larger deck that extends past the master bath.  The Decks for the (H4) are quite small for five people.  Then I realized if privacy was an issue, go with the smaller deck.  We will be at port for over three days.  Your information confirms that my choice of deck 18 with the smaller deck was the right call.  Thank you.

I have been researching you question for a few months now.  I read some but not all of the replies.  My case is different then yours.  My 29 year old daughter and her partner will be in that room.  The bed is small for two however there also is a bunk bed above it.  The description of it being a Inside State Room is quite accurate.  If your group and my situation are similar, this room provided super discounts for the 3-5th person.  My situation is 5 people.  

My daughter was quite upset with me about having to stay in this 2nd bedroom.  Her partner was just fine.  I my daughter that she was free to book (and pay) for her own room anywhere she wanted on the ship.  Daddy is paying for everything (that is me Daddy). The way I stopped world war 3 in my family was canceling my trip on the NCL Pearl and rebooking on the NCL Encore.  Seems, having the Haven Restaurant, Bar and especially the Encore Go Cart Track as well as the show Kinky Boots made this room seem lots better to my princess.

As it relates to your situation.  If I was paying an equal amount for this room, I would want to swap out for the huge master bedroom from time to time.  Only fair.  If you get a discounted fair, simply the ability to be in the Haven is worth it all.  Hope I helped and gave everyone a laugh about my family situation.  Cruise well. 

26 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have been researching you question for a few months now.  I read some but not all of the replies.  My case is different then yours.  My 29 year old daughter and her partner will be in that room.  The bed is small for two however there also is a bunk bed above it.  The description of it being a Inside State Room is quite accurate.  If your group and my situation are similar, this room provided super discounts for the 3-5th person.  My situation is 5 people.  

My daughter was quite upset with me about having to stay in this 2nd bedroom.  Her partner was just fine.  I my daughter that she was free to book (and pay) for her own room anywhere she wanted on the ship.  Daddy is paying for everything (that is me Daddy). The way I stopped world war 3 in my family was canceling my trip on the NCL Pearl and rebooking on the NCL Encore.  Seems, having the Haven Restaurant, Bar and especially the Encore Go Cart Track as well as the show Kinky Boots made this room seem lots better to my princess.

As it relates to your situation.  If I was paying an equal amount for this room, I would want to swap out for the huge master bedroom from time to time.  Only fair.  If you get a discounted fair, simply the ability to be in the Haven is worth it all.  Hope I helped and gave everyone a laugh about my family situation.  Cruise well. 

You can adopt me and I promise that I will NEVER complain about sailing in a Haven suite in the 2nd bedroom EVER. 🤣

On another note, I disagree with your rationalization about the smaller balcony.  The large balcony can fit loungers easily and would be like another room for 5 people in that cabin.  You will appreciate the extra space.  People will have common sense to not walk past the master bath if there is someone in the master bedroom/bathroom area.  If you don't think so then pull the shade when in the bathroom.  I think you are festering about a non issue and short changing your experience.  The balconies on 17 vs 18 are apples and oranges.

Edited by david_sobe

47 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

You can adopt me and I promise that I will NEVER complain about sailing in a Haven suite in the 2nd bedroom EVER. 🤣

On another note, I disagree with your rationalization about the smaller balcony.  The large balcony can fit loungers easily and would be like another room for 5 people in that cabin.  You will appreciate the extra space.  People will have common sense to not walk past the master bath if there is someone in the master bedroom/bathroom area.  If you don't think so then pull the shade when in the bathroom.  I think you are festering about a non issue and short changing your experience.  The balconies on 17 vs 18 are apples and oranges.

Sorry, I definitely have enough kids. You may be right on the room.  The issue now is which of the left over deck 17 suites have the larger balcony.  Not listed anywhere.  Shame to make the change and end up with the same room.  Thanks for the reply.  Cruise well. 

15 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I was on deck 17 on the Encore. Even with the sun shade pulled down, anyone on the balcony can see right into the tub and shower area. I suspect that a passenger in the adjoining stateroom could look around the deck partition and see in also.

NCL could solve this by putting a one way film over the windows.

Be sure you are not in the tub when the crew is cleaning the balcony!!!

as far as being a larger balcony, we are only talking about maybe 3 feet wide by 10 feet long. 

9 minutes ago, JDIRWINCPA said:

I was on deck 17 on the Encore. Even with the sun shade pulled down, anyone on the balcony can see right into the tub and shower area. I suspect that a passenger in the adjoining stateroom could look around the deck partition and see in also.

as far as being a larger balcony, we are only talking about maybe 3 feet wide by 10 feet long. 

See, can go either way on the.  I have a (H4) on deck 18 now.  I just asked my agent to change to one on 17.  If there is a cost, I am out, if it is a hassle for her, I am out.  I am going to let the cards fall where they will. Hell both choices are still outstanding.  Thanks for your reply, I love having this information for others to see.  Thank you again.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:56 PM, bam1957 said:

We stayed in the 2 Bedroom on the Escape in November. I didn't like the bed it that it's basically on the floor, no legs. It basically unfolded to the floor. Unlike the old fashion pull out couches you should actually sit on the bed and it had legs. My 32 year old son stayed in the room and he didn't complain. He said that it was comfortable but I just didn't like it. It wasn't what I expected.  We kept it made all the time. We never asked the steward to turn it back into a sofa and he could move around perfectly fine. Maybe the Encore's second bedroom is larger but it looks the same from the video.

I wonder if something was wrong with your bed that it folded down to the floor rather than having some clearance?   We stayed in a 2 bedroom Haven on the Escape, and two of my teens shared the bedroom, and the other teen used the bed in the living room.   The second bedroom had a somewhat larger bed on the bottom - definitely NOT on the floor.    The other bed pulled down from the ceiling and the steward set up the ladder.     All three kids were happy with their beds - all thought they were comfy.   We did ask for an egg crate mattress topper for the living room couch ahead of time as we knew it would be very firm.  

This is not my picture, but it looks like this.    

escape second bedroom.jpg

Edited by AliceIn

2 hours ago, JDIRWINCPA said:

OMG.  You should never sail NCL 2 bedroom suites because there is always a picture window to the sea in the shower and tub area.  It not possible at all for anyone in an adjoining cabin to see you in the shower (as you stated).  That is ridiculous to say.  You really seem bothered by windows to the sea.  With your philosophy balcony cleaners can see in balcony cabins too.  Good gosh if you are naked.  You also do not know about windows.  Those windows are already tinted for sun protection and privacy.  You can only see through them if you are right up next to them  OR if it was at night and you were showering with the light on which in case you would draw the blind.   I have the same windows in my house in Florida.   So much drama about nothing.  If so much festering and fear about people spying on you in your cabins, you will never be a happy cruiser.   This sort of reminds me of the also absurd debates about the Epic curtain and housekeeping opening the door without knocking.

Edited by david_sobe

35 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

OMG.  You should never sail NCL 2 bedroom suites because there is always a picture window to the sea in the shower and tub area.  It not possible at all for anyone in an adjoining cabin to see you in the shower (as you stated).  That is ridiculous to say.  You really seem bothered by windows to the sea.  With your philosophy balcony cleaners can see in balcony cabins too.  Good gosh if you are naked.  You also do not know about windows.  Those windows are already tinted for sun protection and privacy.  You can only see through them if you are right up next to them  OR if it was at night and you were showering with the light on which in case you would draw the blind.   I have the same windows in my house in Florida.   So much drama about nothing.  If so much festering and fear about people spying on you in your cabins, you will never be a happy cruiser.   This sort of reminds me of the also absurd debates about the Epic curtain and housekeeping opening the door without knocking.

I was in the 2 bedroom suite. I know what I am talking about. At least the room I was in.

6 minutes ago, JDIRWINCPA said:

I was in the 2 bedroom suite. I know what I am talking about. At least the room I was in.

In the 2 bedroom, the tub and shower area are right up to the window. Each has a pull down sun shade, not a blind. You can see right thru it, not designed stop sight, just to cut down on the glare of the sun. As far as seeing in while on balcony, all you have to do is turn your head in that direction, just like looking in thru a window. If you are in the tub 6 inches away from the glass or the shower 2 feet from the glass there is little protection from the balcony during the day, at night with the bathroom light on, there is none.

Still a great room that I would book again, just stating facts about the bathroom.

2 hours ago, AliceIn said:

I wonder if something was wrong with your bed that it folded down to the floor rather than having some clearance?   We stayed in a 2 bedroom Haven on the Escape, and two of my teens shared the bedroom, and the other teen used the bed in the living room.   The second bedroom had a somewhat larger bed on the bottom - definitely NOT on the floor.    The other bed pulled down from the ceiling and the steward set up the ladder.     All three kids were happy with their beds - all thought they were comfy.   We did ask for an egg crate mattress topper for the living room couch ahead of time as we knew it would be very firm.  

This is not my picture, but it looks like this.    

escape second bedroom.jpg

Maybe it's me but even from this picture that bed is the same as the one we had in November. My son said that it was comfortable but too low for me.