Pre cruise hotel stay questions

We are sailing on the April TA Miami to Barcelona in a Penthouse suite. We are not doing Regent Air but are doing the one night pre cruise hotel stay. Does Regent provide transfers from the airport to the hotel or is that only if you do your flights through Regent. Our itinerary lists the hotel as the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne but website the tab with pre and post cruise information it says the Conrad.  Maybe that is the hotel only if you want to book extra nights? 

Edited by sierrafloridacruiser

3 minutes ago, ROLLTIDE2 said:

If you do your own flight arrangements, you don't get the transfer from the airport to the hotel.  But if you do the pre-cruise hotel, you get the transfer from the hotel to the port.  See you on board!!

That’s what I figured on the transfer.

I am reading some of the fine print and realizing that the free night pre-cruise is a different program from the “land and hotel program”. 

See you on board Rolltide2. My husband will be the guy wearing his Auburn gear. 😂

Our "Preliminary Vacation Summary", received from Regent on Jan.20th lists the Four Seasons Hotel as our Pre-Cruise hotel arrangement.  Maybe there is more than one Hotel for the Pre-cruise included night??? Last year on a TA with Regent we stayed at the Conrad and really liked it.  My husband will be the guy wearing the University of Michigan gear.  Go Blue!

1 minute ago, BettyDol said:

Our "Preliminary Vacation Summary", received from Regent on Jan.20th lists the Four Seasons Hotel as our Pre-Cruise hotel arrangement.  Maybe there is more than one Hotel for the Pre-cruise included night??? Last year on a TA with Regent we stayed at the Conrad and really liked it.  My husband will be the guy wearing the University of Michigan gear.  Go Blue!

Love all the NCAA repping BettyDol. 

I wonder if we can request a change?  I like the downtown location of the Conrad and the Four Seasons much better than Key Biscayne. I will be contacting my TA for clarification. 

4 hours ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

Love all the NCAA repping BettyDol. 

I wonder if we can request a change?  I like the downtown location of the Conrad and the Four Seasons much better than Key Biscayne. I will be contacting my TA for clarification. 

When we requested a change in hotel for our pre-cruise night in Barcelona, because I wanted to be closer to La Rambla, I found that you need to request it many months ahead.  You may still be within the window for making such a request, but I don't know.  It seems like Regent spreads passengers out amongst several hotels in a number of ports.

2 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

At what point, do you know where you will be staying?  We will in Copenhagen, does anyone know what hotel they  normally pick? 

my TA informed me that in some cities and for some cruises they will have more than one hotel. Unfortunately we don’t have the option of changing our night in Miami. 

In my opinion, book your own hotel and take the hotel credit.  In most cases, the cost of the hotel is less than the credit and you can use that money towards taking a taxi to the ship.  In terms of Barcelona (mentioned by another poster), we stay at the Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel which is about 2 miles from the cruise port.  It is walkable to Las Ramblas and other places of interest.

Unfortunately, we have found that staying in a Regent sponsored hotel to be extremely expensive and the transfer costs are way too high.  We an stay at Eurostars and pay for our own transfers for less money than Regent credits us for not using their hotel.

However, and this is a BIG one....... with what is going on in the world with coronavirus, I would not do my own air.  IF there is a problem on your cruise, Regent assists guests that have booked Regent air with them before working with passengers that do not book Regent air.  In our 34 Regent cruises, we have booked our own air a few times but would not do so for the cruises that we have booked through 2021.

Hopefully this information is helpful!

Jackie - I think what you are saying makes a lot of sense on both counts:

For our 14 March cruise we took the "Non hotel credit" which I think was $200 each.  I then have us booked at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, close to the port in San Diego, on Hyatt points.  All we will pay is the resort fee and tax.   So for that we are ahead about $325 I think.

We have always done our own air because our TA is located in the US and cannot do air originating in Switzerland.   I have not had a problem with that before now, but I can see what the risk is.  We do have a very comprehensive cancellation insurance but whether a global pandemic (if it gets to that) is covered - who knows?    So I think it wise, if one can, to have one's TA do the air.    We aren't actually planning to take any "long distance" cruises after this and so will continue to use the wonderful TA we have...and take the train to the port (Monte Carlo, Venice or Rome)  or at worst a very short flight to BCN.  But you are right about having Regent do the air especially if a long flight is involved.

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In my opinion, book your own hotel and take the hotel credit.  In most cases, the cost of the hotel is less than the credit and you can use that money towards taking a taxi to the ship.  In terms of Barcelona (mentioned by another poster), we stay at the Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel which is about 2 miles from the cruise port.  It is walkable to Las Ramblas and other places of interest.

Unfortunately, we have found that staying in a Regent sponsored hotel to be extremely expensive and the transfer costs are way too high.  We an stay at Eurostars and pay for our own transfers for less money than Regent credits us for not using their hotel.

However, and this is a BIG one....... with what is going on in the world with coronavirus, I would not do my own air.  IF there is a problem on your cruise, Regent assists guests that have booked Regent air with them before working with passengers that do not book Regent air.  In our 34 Regent cruises, we have booked our own air a few times but would not do so for the cruises that we have booked through 2021.

Hopefully this information is helpful!

it is very helpful because I didn’t know there was a hotel credit. I knew about the air credit because it is listed on each itinerary what it is. We did not do the air because we are continuing on with a two week land trip and river cruise once we get to Barcelona. Our flight to Miami to embark is an easy one for us because we live in Florida.  

I will check with my travel agent to see if it’s still possible to take the hotel credit and book one on our own, but if anyone knows if this can only be done at the time of booking, I’d appreciate any information. 

43 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is disappointing.  Hopefully, next time, you will use a TA that regularly books Regent cruises (and will know the ins and outs) as well as providing you with a percentage back on your cruise fare.

You do not have to make a decision months in advance or when you book.  However, you can't let them know a few weeks before the cruise either (which is likel the case here).  

Hopefully you have already made your dining and excursions.

If you need more information, you can start another thread or simply email me.  

In any case, have a wonderful cruise ....... Regent is the best!

Would take another thread to explain why I stuck with this travel agent but I’m swearing to myself that this IS the last time. 

My cruise is in six weeks, so might be too late but I’ve emailed her nevertheless and also said we would be happy to take the credit in shipboard spending, so maybe Regent will be amenable to that.  I’m seeing availability at a lot of hotels that are acceptable to us and where we can use reward points and more importantly, they are in locations closer to some activities we would like to do. 

Like TC2 states, it is really a savings to book your own hotel and take a taxi to the ship.  If you stay a few days before the cruise the savings is really a lot better.  Plus by picking your own hotel, you aren't staying at the Regent hotel which is a mad house the evening before and day to board the ship.  We booked the same hotel one time and it was a zoo, never again.

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Like TC2 states, it is really a savings to book your own hotel and take a taxi to the ship.  If you stay a few days before the cruise the savings is really a lot better.  Plus by picking your own hotel, you aren't staying at the Regent hotel which is a mad house the evening before and day to board the ship.  We booked the same hotel one time and it was a zoo, never again.

You are the only person that I recall that has discussed what a mad house (zoo) that the Regent hotels are.  Could not agree more.  

I must admit, however, that it was too late for us to cancel our pre-cruise hotel in Lisbon (for our November cruise) so we stayed at the Regent hotel.  It was really lovely.  We ate breakfast as soon as it opened (to avoid the zoo) and did our private transfer to the port at 11:00 a.m.  In this particular case, I’m glad that we made the mistake of not cancelling the Regent hotel.

The Ritz Carlton is lovely and so is Key Biscayne. It’s just a very different vibe than being in the downtown area or South Beach. If we can’t get the credit, I know we will enjoy a 24 hour “resort style” stay and have a nice dinner right at the RC. All is good.

Except for the travel agent. She is not. 

5 hours ago, kaleighsgram said:

So I take it that you don’t advise using the transport to the ship that is provided by Regent?

I wouldn't even when it's included, have a car service, taxi or Uber--that way you have full control at you time, by yourself not with 45 other people in a bus.  

13 hours ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

Really frustrated that my TA didn’t offer this option when we booked the cruise. 🙄

Whether you get a hotel credit or not depends on the level of your suite.  Not all suites come with a free night prior to sailing...and if your invoice doesn't reflect any credit for the hotel then probably your suite doesn't "qualify".

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Whether you get a hotel credit or not depends on the level of your suite.  Not all suites come with a free night prior to sailing...and if your invoice doesn't reflect any credit for the hotel then probably your suite doesn't "qualify".

We are in a Penthouse which does qualify for the pre-cruise free night and transfers from hotel to ship. My invoice has the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne as the pre-cruise hotel. 

16 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Then you should get the credit if you have declined the hotel arrangement.  If you want to keep the hotel or the credit is missing - talk to your TA.   Sounds like a mistake might have been made.

I did not decline because I didn’t know when I booked that I could do that and get a credit instead.  My TA is checking to see if I can still do this but the cruise is six weeks out and it may be too late. We may be “stuck” with the Ritz Carlton. Which no doubt we will enjoy!  I just would have liked to have known that there was a choice ahead of time. Live and learn.