Pre cruise hotel stay questions

30 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

A question.  If you decline the "free"  hotel night, and take the credit, then book your own hotel room, do you the have to pay the deviation fee to fly in early?

Wendy, you would have to pay a deviation fee to fly in early. When you take the hotel credit, your embarkation date is the date of the cruise. Flying in earlier than the date of the cruise would require a deviation fee in this instance.

Dave

There are folks who did their own travel arrangements to Singapore for a cruise on another line (Seabourn).  The cruise was cancelled and these folks are stuck: Seabourn, reasonably, doesn't feel that taking care of them is a priority. The screaming on the CC board is loud and constant: Seabourn is instead scrambling to look after the people who used Seabourn's air and hotel arrangements.
Similarly for the issue at hand: taking the Regent-supplied pre-cruise hotel vs. making your own arrangements.  Be aware that making your own arrangements means you are much more on your own if something goes wrong.

That said, we've always made our own arrangements. But there is a bit of an added risk in doing this.

Another observation: the Regent-supplied hotel transports guests to the dock in a bus, which of course means a bit of a line-up to board. Again, not big deal but not as pleasant as taking a taxi from the hotel to the dock and waltzing on board with no fuss or muss.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

1 hour ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

There are folks who did their own travel arrangements to Singapore for a cruise on another line (Seabourn).  The cruise was cancelled and these folks are stuck: Seabourn, reasonably, doesn't feel that taking care of them is a priority. The screaming on the CC board is loud and constant: Seabourn is instead scrambling to look after the people who used Seabourn's air and hotel arrangements.
Similarly for the issue at hand: taking the Regent-supplied pre-cruise hotel vs. making your own arrangements.  Be aware that making your own arrangements means you are much more on your own if something goes wrong.

That said, we've always made our own arrangements. But there is a bit of an added risk in doing this.

Another observation: the Regent-supplied hotel transports guests to the dock in a bus, which of course means a bit of a line-up to board. Again, not big deal but not as pleasant as taking a taxi from the hotel to the dock and waltzing on board with no fuss or muss.

If you use the pre-cruise hotel but decide not to use the provided bus, do you have to notify anyone so that the bus doesn’t wait for you?

When we first sailed with Regent we enjoyed the included pre-cruise hotel, which was often excellent. However, at some locations we did find breakfast and the transfers to the ship very disorganised.

Nowadays we usually take the hotel credit and make our own arrangements.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:29 AM, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of Barcelona (mentioned by another poster), we stay at the Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel which is about 2 miles from the cruise port.  It is walkable to Las Ramblas and other places of interest.

Yes, the Eurostars Grand Marina is in a very good location. If the ship docks at the Barcelona World Trade Centre then it is alongside and within easy walking distance; no cab required.

I think it was @WesW, Col. Wes, who first recommended that hotel 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi flossie009/David & Susan;. We enjoy the Eurostars when sailing on Regent but especially so when cruising with Silversea.  During our last stay before a Silversea fall crossing, we just walked out the front door of the Eurostars and walked about 50 feet to embark the Silver Wind which had docked almost at the Eurostars front door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

When we first sailed with Regent we enjoyed the included pre-cruise hotel, which was often excellent. However, at some locations we did find breakfast and the transfers to the ship very disorganised.

Nowadays we usually take the hotel credit and make our own arrangements.

Yes, the Eurostars Grand Marina is in a very good location. If the ship docks at the Barcelona World Trade Centre then it is alongside and within easy walking distance; no cab required.

I think it was @WesW, Col. Wes, who first recommended that hotel 👍

Actually, I recommended it a year or so ago.  I believe that Wes recommended "W" Barcelona but I could be mistaken.  Next time that we are in Barcelona, we are using their hotel as it is a Fairmont property.  We have our own private transportation so would not need to get involved in the hoards of Regent passengers trying to figure out what bus they are on.  Disorganized buses is not specific to Barcelona.  It can be difficult to organize a few hundred guests when some are late, others do like their bus transfer time, some want their luggage to go to the ship without accompanying it, etc.  If it a challenge!  Over the years - even when we use Regent hotels, we do not use their transfers to hotel.  Much easier to pay for a cab or private transportation.

kaleighsgram - you brought up a very good point.  Things are not the same when the coronavirus is hanging over our heads.  I have recommended to others to use Regent Air - especially now.  Perhaps we should recommend using Regent hotels as well.  

flossie - I would definitely not recommend walking and dragging your luggage from Eurostars Grand Marina to the ship.  It is a longer walk that one thinks and I cannot imagine dragging luggage that far.  A taxi from that hotel to the port is easy and inexpensive.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, kaleighsgram said:

If you use the pre-cruise hotel but decide not to use the provided bus, do you have to notify anyone so that the bus doesn’t wait for you?

That is actually the best of both worlds (using the Regent hotel but not the transfer).  I think that it is a good idea to check with the on-site "Regent" representative (actually a contractor that all cruise lines use) and let them know that you will be doing the transfer on your own.

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I would definitely not recommend walking and dragging your luggage from Eurostars Grand Marina to the ship.  It is a longer walk that one thinks and I cannot imagine dragging luggage that far.  A taxi from that hotel to the port is easy and inexpensive.

It depends where the ship is docked. If the ship is docked at the WTC i.e. adjacent the Eurostars hotel then the taxi driver might take your money, drive round the block and drop you back where you started .............. with a Spanish smile 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

It depends where the ship is docked. If the ship is docked at the WTC i.e. adjacent the Eurostars hotel then the taxi driver might take your money, drive round the block and drop you back where you started .............. with a Spanish smile 😉

You are right on that point.  Unfortunately, in all of the times that we have embarked in Barcelona (too many times in my opinion), we have never docked at the World Trade Center.  The odds of that seem the same as docking in the city when the ship is in St. Petersburg  (rarely - if ever happens for Regent ships).  

We hope to be arriving tomorrow (weather permitting) to the Regent hotel in Miami (Conrad) and we have hotel to Explorer transfer included for the next day.  Due to inclement weather in Syracuse we may be arriving very late at night, if at all.  Does the Regent representative leave a way to communicate with very late arrivals?  Should we arrive the day of embarkation, we will most probably go directly to the port.  My question deals with late night hotel staff on previous day not aware that we are paid for!!

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Unfortunately, in all of the times that we have embarked in Barcelona (too many times in my opinion), we have never docked at the World Trade Center.  The odds of that seem the same as docking in the city when the ship is in St. Petersburg  (rarely - if ever happens for Regent ships).

We have docked at the very convenient WTC location in Barcelona a few times. 

Most recent was on Voyager last October.

Also I believe that Splendor embarked guests there prior to her Maiden Voyage:

691285983_SplendorBarcelona.thumb.jpg.48192f029e0b3153428b55d642c9a791.jpg

Thanks are due to @steamboats for the shot of Splendor captured next to the Eurostars Grand Marina (from the excellent recent Splendor Photo Review)

20 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

We hope to be arriving tomorrow (weather permitting) to the Regent hotel in Miami (Conrad) and we have hotel to Explorer transfer included for the next day.  Due to inclement weather in Syracuse we may be arriving very late at night, if at all.  Does the Regent representative leave a way to communicate with very late arrivals?  Should we arrive the day of embarkation, we will most probably go directly to the port.  My question deals with late night hotel staff on previous day not aware that we are paid for!!

My response may be a bit late since it is already "tomorrow".  IF you booked air through Regent, they will be aware of your flight delay and will be at the airport to pick you up..  Suggest that you contact the hotel and let them know of your late arrival (if you have not done so already).  The "Regent Representatives" at the hotels are contractors - some are better than others.  At this point, I do think that perhaps contacting t he hotel regarding late arrival as well as perhaps trying to reach the Regent Representative (hours tend to be during the day at the hotel).

Hope this works out easy for you and that you enjoy every moment on our favorite ship!

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

We have docked at the very convenient WTC location in Barcelona a few times. 

Most recent was on Voyager last October.

Also I believe that Splendor embarked guests there prior to her Maiden Voyage:

691285983_SplendorBarcelona.thumb.jpg.48192f029e0b3153428b55d642c9a791.jpg

Thanks are due to @steamboats for the shot of Splendor captured next to the Eurostars Grand Marina (from the excellent recent Splendor Photo Review)

Actually according to the port website we were supposed to dock at Moll Adossat Terminal B. But they´ve changed it to the WTC. This was the pre inaugural of the Seven Seas Splendor from Civitavecchia to Barcelona.

steamboats

On 2/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, WesW said:

Hi flossie009/David & Susan;. We enjoy the Eurostars when sailing on Regent but especially so when cruising with Silversea.  During our last stay before a Silversea fall crossing, we just walked out the front door of the Eurostars and walked about 50 feet to embark the Silver Wind which had docked almost at the Eurostars front door.

Wes,

Thank you the recommendation of the Eurostars hotel.

• Like 1

pdaniel, you're welcome.  Below's post from July 2018 gives more information on how convenient staying at the Eurostars Gran Marina can be.  If you book, suggest using the Eurostars website, they have Best price guaranteed if there is availability you may get an included (very nice)  breakfast (25-30Euro charge), bottled water, and early or late check in if available. 

Thanks for posting that link FlossieSue and Flossie David--indeed useful.

The cruise ship in the photo is Silversea's Silver Wind docked at the Maremagnum Port Vell (right next to our fav Barcelona Hotel (Eurostars Grand Marina) to stay at for Silversea or Regent cruise embarks.

Last July, we enjoyed staying again at the Eurostars Grand Marina. Tho not disembarking, we were embarking for a stunning 18 day Norwegian itinerary. We simply had the Grand Marina concierge roll our bags out the hotel's entrance about 50 yards to the Silver Wind reception area--and checked in. Easiest embark we have done in nearly two dozen cruises (about half on Regent and half on Silversea).

For our Voyager crossing a few years ago, from the Grand Marina hotel a taxi ride was about 5 minutes from the hotel to the Adossat Quay cruise terminal.

Edited by WesW
  • Thanks 2

As I mentioned, I've been recommending this hotel for a long time.  It is good to hear that others have tried it.  We are happy with the hotel but will not be using it for next cruise that leaves from Barcelona since Regent is using a Fairmont property.  Since we get included private transportation, the distance doesn't really matter.  If you choose to book this hotel, keep in mind that Barcelona's port is huge so, if you get dock at the World Trade Center, it would be a good thing but certainly not guaranteed.  So, be prepared to take a cab if necessary (again, very inexpensive and not a big deal at all).

4 hours ago, WesW said:

pdaniel, you're welcome.  Below's post from July 2018 gives more information on how convenient staying at the Eurostars Gran Marina can be.  If you book, suggest using the Eurostars website, they have Best price guaranteed if there is availability you may get an included (very nice)  breakfast (25-30Euro charge), bottled water, and early or late check in if available. 

Thanks for posting that link FlossieSue and Flossie David--indeed useful.

The cruise ship in the photo is Silversea's Silver Wind docked at the Maremagnum Port Vell (right next to our fav Barcelona Hotel (Eurostars Grand Marina) to stay at for Silversea or Regent cruise embarks.

Last July, we enjoyed staying again at the Eurostars Grand Marina. Tho not disembarking, we were embarking for a stunning 18 day Norwegian itinerary. We simply had the Grand Marina concierge roll our bags out the hotel's entrance about 50 yards to the Silver Wind reception area--and checked in. Easiest embark we have done in nearly two dozen cruises (about half on Regent and half on Silversea).

For our Voyager crossing a few years ago, from the Grand Marina hotel a taxi ride was about 5 minutes from the hotel to the Adossat Quay cruise terminal.

Thanks Wes.  That is really good information.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My response may be a bit late since it is already "tomorrow".  IF you booked air through Regent, they will be aware of your flight delay and will be at the airport to pick you up..  Suggest that you contact the hotel and let them know of your late arrival (if you have not done so already).  The "Regent Representatives" at the hotels are contractors - some are better than others.  At this point, I do think that perhaps contacting t he hotel regarding late arrival as well as perhaps trying to reach the Regent Representative (hours tend to be during the day at the hotel).

Hope this works out easy for you and that you enjoy every moment on our favorite ship!

Thanks Travelcat2... We made it to Miami, though too late at night to be able to register.  All was resolved this morning and our luggage is now en route to the ship.  We were assigned the last group for transport, so we will be on board!!  Thanks for your response.

13 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Thanks Travelcat2... We made it to Miami, though too late at night to be able to register.  All was resolved this morning and our luggage is now en route to the ship.  We were assigned the last group for transport, so we will be on board!!  Thanks for your response.

Do yourself a favor and just take a Cab or Uber to the port.  Last month all the busses from the various hotels seem to arrive at the same time and it was a zoo.  We had to take a number and waited about 45 minutes just to stand in line.  It was one of the most unorganized embarkation that I have ever experienced.  Certainly did not negatively impact our cruise.  The disembarkation was one of the best we have ever experienced.  
Enjoy your cruise.  The widest  variety and highest quality of food that we have ever experienced.  Be sure to check out the culinary experiences if they are available.  

49 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Do yourself a favor and just take a Cab or Uber to the port.  Last month all the busses from the various hotels seem to arrive at the same time and it was a zoo.  We had to take a number and waited about 45 minutes just to stand in line.  It was one of the most unorganized embarkation that I have ever experienced.  Certainly did not negatively impact our cruise.  The disembarkation was one of the best we have ever experienced.  
Enjoy your cruise.  The widest  variety and highest quality of food that we have ever experienced.  Be sure to check out the culinary experiences if they are available.  

Thanks for relating your experience. We will probably just take an Uber. I’m sure it’s available somewhere else on the Regent board, but in lieu of searching, can anyone tell me the earliest embarkation time. 

I believe they usually try to start boarding at noon.  We have seen it delayed one time, but it has usually been noon.  If you leave your luggage out as required in the morning, it will be loaded and taken to the ship.  We have left the luggage go by the Regent transfer and made our own way to the ship a number of times with out any problem.  We have let the Regent contract representative know that we were not taking the bus and there has never been an issue or problem.