Eating on a Cruise

Sandra1616

Hi cruisers,

I am thinking about going on a Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean.  I have read about dining, but I a still have questions.   All meals are included with cruise package.  Drinks can be bought in package deals.  What happens, if a person wants a second dessert or desires a snack after a shore excursion?

Sandra

2 minutes ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi cruisers,

I am thinking about going on a Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean.  I have read about dining, but I a still have questions.   All meals are included with cruise package.  Drinks can be bought in package deals.  What happens, if a person wants a second dessert or desires a snack after a shore excursion?

Sandra

You can either get it in the OVC or while you are dining in the MDR... many options to fulfill those desires all without any additional charge, unless room service possibly.

That was easy...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Meals in the main dining room, buffet, mast grill are included in the cost of the cruise. You may have a second dessert/appetizer/entree if you wish. Just ask. The buffet is open from early morning until late at night, although the late night offerings are scaled back. You may eat there as often as you wish. In addition, there is a cafe that sells coffee and tea, but the baked goodies are free. You won't go hungry on a cruise.
You may buy drinks a la cart or you may buy a beverage package that suits your needs. We always buy our cruises when there is a promotion that includes a few perks. We pick the classic beverage package as one perk.

There are specialty extra charge restaurants if you want a special treat. We have been very happy with the included restaurants.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

In addition, there is a cafe that sells coffee and tea, but the baked goodies are free. You won't go hungry on a cruise.

Cafe Al Bacio.  We call it Al, as in "meet you at Al's".  Enjoyable.  There is Gellato available near Al's, for a fee, or free home made (ship made) ice cream in the Ocean View (buffet) that is very good.

Edited by kenevenpar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you use YouTube, there are many food videos that people have taken of the offerings of the buffet. Type the name of your ship, or “celebrity cruise” plus the word “ buffet” and you’ll be amazed at the variety of foods on offer throughout the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't gone hungry on any of my cruises. We usually eat all dinners in the Main dining room (MDR)  The ice cream and gelato have been very refreshing after returning from a tour. 

Ask any questions you have. Someone will always give you an answer and no question is dumb. I hope you decide to cruise. It is a lot of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Believe me - you will never go hungry.   There is food available 24 hours a day (service fee for late room service,  I believe 1Am-6AM)

If you want a second desert just ask for it or order 2 at ordering time if you can't make up your mind.   OV cafe is open early morning to late and has both food and sweets.   Also if you have a sweet tooth Al Bachio has a big refrigerator of cakes and sweets that are also gratis (sweet rools and muffins in the mornings and cakes and tarts in the afternoon and evening.   Many I know stop by for a desert and coffee (for fee or under package) and a desert (free).

• Haha 1

I'm hungry just thinking of it.   

I'm on a diet before my next cruise in 30 days.   I like to drop 5 pounds prior to cruising so I can put it back on during the cruise.   I know it is crazy but better putting in on and then fighting to take it off after the cruise.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi cruisers,

Sandra

Sandra, you are in for a treat!  All meals are included--except if you wish to dine in a specialty restaurant--then there is an extra charge...but, seriously, there's no need to dine in a specialty restaurant--the Main Dining Room is the equivalent of a pretty nice restaurant--with great service.

You can order anything you wish--including multiple appetizers, multiple desserts...even extra entrees.

After a shore excursion, I'll often go up to the buffet for an ice cream--the free ice cream there--in several flavors--is pretty good.  They also have jars of jelly beans, sour patch kids, m&ms and the like...

And you can visit the buffet any time you want for snacks between meals or late at night, though, often, later at night , the choices are more limited...though we often head up there for a late night slice of pizza...

And, yes, Al Bacio has lots of good stuff to snack on--I usually stop by there and pick up cookies to bring back to my cabin in case I want a snack later there...

I'll get that drink package usually only if it's a deal with my booking...otherwise, I'll just pay by the drink...because at normal rates, it takes 6-7 drinks per day just to break even...You can get drinks all over the ship...

But, also know that coffee, tea, iced tea and juices can be ordered in the main dining room at no charge...and the buffet has machines dispensing iced tea, juice, fruit punch and lemonade for free...

It's alcohol and, for some reason, soda, that costs extra...

• Haha 1

You're not limited to how many appetizers, entrees or deserts you can order. On a recent cruise one of our group, looking at the desert menu, said, "There's just too many to choose from." I, jokingly said , "What the hell MIke . . . Order one of each." It took him a while, but he did finish all 13 in one sitting . . .  !

Seriously, you can order multiples of any course, or multiple courses, or both, or all . . .  

• Haha 1

Right, don't think of it in terms of "included meals" think of it in terms of "included dining venues". The MDR and buffet are both included dining venues. The MDR is open for lunch and dinner every day and breakfast on sea days (I think); The buffet is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day with some snack sections open outside of meal times. Think there is also a grill out by the pool on some ships that serves burgers and fries. You are free to have breakfast at the buffet, come back later for a snack, lunch at the MDR, second lunch at the pool grill, third lunch at the buffet again etc. If they are open, you can eat there for free as much as often as you like. 

The drinks can be purchased through a package, but they can also be purchased individually. The package is just cost effective if you purchase many many drinks. Ice water, lemonade, ice tea, drip coffee, and hot tea are available for free at all the dining venues. The buffet will also have additional free drinks in the dispenser (like juice at breakfast and fruit punch later in the day). Soda, espresso based coffee drinks, bottled water, and alcoholic drinks will carry and addtional charge or included if you get a package.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Calgon1 said:

You're not limited to how many appetizers, entrees or deserts you can order. On a recent cruise one of our group, looking at the desert menu, said, "There's just too many to choose from." I, jokingly said , "What the hell MIke . . . Order one of each." It took him a while, but he did finish all 13 in one sitting . . .  !

Seriously, you can order multiples of any course, or multiple courses, or both, or all . . .  

One of the best things we do is ask our waiter if he can bring one each of every appetizer and one each of every dessert (with clean forks for all) and then we pass them around and everyone gets a bite. Happens all the time and it is wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm hungry just thinking of it.   

I'm on a diet before my next cruise in 30 days.   I like to drop 5 pounds prior to cruising so I can put it back on during the cruise.   I know it is crazy but better putting in on and then fighting to take it off after the cruise.

Not crazy at all!  I am doing the same thing, and we leave in 16 days.  I am already down 5,  but would like another 5 before we go.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures,  I love your reviews.   Have a great time.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

After a shore excursion, I'll often go up to the buffet for an ice cream--the free ice cream there--in several flavors--is pretty good.  They also have jars of jelly beans, sour patch kids, m&ms and the like...

Pro tip: get some ice cream in a large glass and then add milk from the dispensers. Stir and voila, instant milkshake!

• Haha 1

@Sandra1616

To whet your appetite see attached Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Dessert menus for the Main Dining Room...

563444277_CosmoBreakfast.pdf 462187676_CosmoLunchMenus.pdf 1396545028_CosmoRestdinner.pdf 177875654_CosmoDesserts.pdf

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Food is not a problem cruising, especially on Celebrity, which is frequently rated one of the best for dining.

The big problem for most people is eating to much.  I try not to overdo it on a cruise by only eating one desert a day, at dinner.  I usually eat salad bar for lunch.  Also, try to walk or use the fitness center while cruises, especially on sea days.

Drink packages can come as a promo, depending on how you book.  Sometimes you can book without perks for hundreds of dollars less, or take the perks and pay more.   What I did after my first cruise was go over my final bill and add up what we spent for alcohol.  It gives you an idea of an amount to factor into the decision to pick the promos or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Your replies have answered my questions very well  How do staff keep track of the meals or dining venues you have used?  I generally stay away from alcoholic beverages, but love coffee tea and pop.  Am I going to look out of place, if I don't order alcohol?  I am excited about afternoon coffee or tea and dessert, but dont want to wear out the welcome mat? Sandra

On 2/12/2020 at 4:37 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi cruisers,

Sandra

I happen to be on my first Celebrity Cruise right now on the Summit in the Caribbean! On the app there is a button  under dining called ‘Hungry Now?’ so you can see what is open at any particular time. There is always something. While the Oceanview Cafe is open 6:30 AM - 12:30 AM, there are a few 1-2 hour gaps it is closed. There were times we were hungry after excursions (even if the excursion included lunch). One time we got burgers at the Pool Grill, which were excellent I might add. The OVC is open for snacks from 4-5 so we popped in there and had empanadas, pizza and mini smoked salmon baguettes. We did not try the OVC for late night since we have 8:30 dining. For main dining, there were nights we could not decide what to get, so ordered multiple appetizers and entrees. The portions are not massive so you have the opportunity to try a variety. Last night I had one lobster tail and duck a l’orange and my fiancé had 2 lobster tails and beef Wellington. We have been very happy with the MDR. We ate at Tuscan twice and while good, I found some things to be overly salty. Agree with others about dieting beforehand. We started after the holidays and lost quite a bit so hopefully it won’t be that difficult to shed a week of cruise eating!

• Thanks 1

Per the cafe, I got sucked into those darn white chocolate cookies. But, over ten days we only saw them twice. Also we went to the cafe late one night and yes it was scaled back, but still had plenty of food to soak up the alcohol. And the people watching was fantastic.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sandra1616 said:

Your replies have answered my questions very well  How do staff keep track of the meals or dining venues you have used?  I generally stay away from alcoholic beverages, but love coffee tea and pop.  Am I going to look out of place, if I don't order alcohol?  I am excited about afternoon coffee or tea and dessert, but dont want to wear out the welcome mat? Sandra

LOL, not at all out of place... especially if it is your normal habit.

You will find that drinking habits are all over the place from hard core drinkers to get their value from the package(s) (or not) or those who only drink water and ice tea and the like...

You are the welcome mat, so wear yourself out then when you are readying for your next sailing you will be in an even better position to wear yourself out while trying to relax!  LOL

The essential factor is, enjoy yourself, have fun, relax and not worry too much about it all.

You will find your sea legs aboard to be sure. Everyone falters from time to time aboard to be sure.. so you will not be out of place there, especially being a first timer...

No shame in announcing, once aboard, that you are a first time cruiser and people will come out of the woodwork to help you get along.... crew and passengers.

Staff does not 'knowingly' keep track of where, when and how  you eat in the no added charge venues, only you can do that. They may do a double take were they to see you twice entering the MDR for dinner on any given evening, but say something to you about it? No way, just smile and think 'this is one hungry passenger'.... LOL

bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

Regarding afternoon coffee or tea, Celebrity has pretty good coffee at the buffet.   It is Lavazza coffee and far better than what cruise lines like NCL serve.  

If you want the specialty coffee, like you buy at Starbucks, you would like Café al Bacio.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/bars-and-lounges/al-bacio

They have specialty tea there as well, along with pastries, which are free with purchase of coffee or tea/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1