Food on Norweigian Getaway

rrogers1949

My wife and I just returned from a five day cruise on Norwegian Getaway out of New Orleans.  We usually cruise with Royal Carribean but decided to try NCL for a change.

It appeared that everything was starting out just fine, however, the first night out in one of the main dining rooms proved to be a big disappointment.  The food was very average at best, but being optimistic, I thought that maybe it would improve the next day.  No such luck.  Lunch at the Garden buffet was also very average and proved to be repetitive for the rest of the week.

We ate in all three dining rooms and each one proved to be unimpressive and I am not picky at all when it comes to food.  We have been on a number of cruises with different companies and this is the very first one where we did not have lobster at least one night.  It was never on the menu.

Maybe all of the cruise lines are doing similar things by cutting back on food quality but I sure hope not as we enjoy having a nice dinner.  That has always been a highlight of any cruise that we have taken.

On a more positive note, the staff could not have been more courteous and helpful.

They work hard and deserve a lot more than they make.

Unfortunately, we may have just taken our last trip on NCL and will probably go back to Royal Carribean.

Welcome to NCL dining. Average to below average food in the buffet and free dining rooms. Dining rooms used to have good food with a nice variety of selections, but no more. Lots of foul fowl like fried chicken, turkey, baked chicken and chicken parm.

We were just on the Getaway January 26 to Feb. 2. It was a wonderful cruise, just not long enough! We enjoyed all of our meals. A buffet is a buffet, yes most of the time the choices were the same, however, the food was good and service was excellent. We only ate breakfast and a few lunches there. We dined at Cagney's once and Ocean Blue twice. Food was very good! Service again was stellar. We dined at the Tropicana three times and Taste once. Really our meals were great and the entertainment in the Tropicana was a lot of fun and entertaining. 

Food tastes are very subjective, everyones tastes are different.  

GettotheSun…. enjoy you cruise!  It's not ALL about the food. The people, the ports, the ship and her crew are all subperbly enjoyable. Stay positive, smile!   🙂 

• Like 2