Heating Pad?

DoggyDaddy

I doubt it.  The rule of thumb is if it has a heating element or a surge protector it is not allowed.  They remove it from your luggage and return it at the end of the cruise.  Here is what the Know Before You Go document says

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. Electrical devices* such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/ adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution.

*If such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

For safety reasons, travel irons, and electric water heaters/ kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day. Onboard self-service launderettes consisting of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on the Amsterdam and Maasdam. There is a charge for the use of the self-service launderettes and it is coin operated. Also, full laundry and valet services are available on all of our ships.

I read and reread the quote above from the Know Before You Go booklet. And I interpreted it to say that it would be OK to bring a heating pad "if used with proper caution."

Besides, there are exceptions for items needed for health purposes.

But I have never tried bringing one on board, so I don't know for sure.

53 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

My husband's CPAP has a heating plate and it is accepted on board. 

I'd suggest DD call the Holland America Special Services at 800-541-1576. If they say no to your personal pad, perhaps they have an acceptable pad on board you can rent?

• Like 1

I went back and forth on this myself recently prior to our February 5th sailing.  After much digging, I was able to find specific language stating heating pads are not allowed.  I was tempted to try to smuggle it as I need it several hours a day.  I instead decided to bring a hot water bottle instead.  Of course, it wasn’t as amazing, but it did get the job done.  I bought mine off amazon.  

This is interesting as for the longest time heating pads were not listed on the no-no list, and I have taken mine several times. IIRC about a year ago there was a thread about them and someone quoted the KBYG and heating pads were listed as not allowed.  

Have the rules changed again?

18 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

This is interesting as for the longest time heating pads were not listed on the no-no list, and I have taken mine several times. IIRC about a year ago there was a thread about them and someone quoted the KBYG and heating pads were listed as not allowed.  

Have the rules changed again?

Most likely.  A lot of things have been added to the prohibited list.

Another thing that may help - Salonpas patches.  They don’t heat but they sure relieve pain.  We take a bunch every cruise and most times end up giving them to roll call members who need them.  Most of them start buying them because they work so well.

And no, I have no stock.  My mother discovered them years ago in Toronto in China town (ironic as they hail from Japan).  They are now readily available in places like Costco and Shoppers.  They take little room or weight and believe me they are worth their weight in gold if you have a bad back or strain something 😉 

Okay. Found it under FAQ Prohibited Items:

Bolding and underlining mine. Heating pads are not allowed:

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.
  • Alcohol in violation of the company al.......

OK, question answered! I’m sorry that they are not allowed, but if the “rules” state they are not, I won’t bring it. I just hope my sciatica calms down before the cruise. Thanks for the info, even though it wasn’t what I wanted to hear.

DD

8 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Sorry to jump on this thread - but - does anyone know if a cooling gel pad is allowed ?? (helps with my HOT FLASHES !

THANK YOU

As long as you do not have to plug it into an electrical socket, you are OK.