Reputable insurance provider?

bigrednole

28 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I am looking to get cruise insurance for our August cruise. Don't a Google search does not help. It just gives a bunch to look at. Can anyone share a reputable company to go through?

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

Why don't you try contacting a travel insurance broker such as

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

We learned about them here on CC several years ago.  They sell policies from several insurers that they've vetted (no extra cost to traveler).

We've purchased policies through them from Travel Insured.  Importantly, TI *pays* their claims promptly, including some large claims, although I wish we hadn't had those claims such that we found out...

But CALL them, and don't rely upon the online summaries of the various policies.  They'll work with you and your particular needs (medical conditions, family traveling with you or left at home, etc.)

It's best if you purchase the initial coverage within 14-21 days of your FIRST payment/deposit for the best choice of coverages.

GC

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I am looking to get cruise insurance for our August cruise. Don't a Google search does not help. It just gives a bunch to look at. Can anyone share a reputable company to go through?

Two brokers frequently recommended here are InsureMyTrip [there is an active Q&A forum] and TripInsuranceStore [Should be an archive Q&A somewhere on the site].

Both assist in comparing options and have guides to what the terms in the fine print actually mean.

• 4 weeks later...

We have used Nationwide purchased through Insuremytrip.com for our last 4 cruises, and we've been very happy.  They have a family of policies that are cruise-specific, so they cover things like missing a port, reimbursement of non-refundable shore excursions, and itinerary changes.  We have had claims for a missed port, a pre-cruise itinerary change, and a visit to the ship's hospital costing over $4K, and Nationwide paid out promptly on all our claims.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, bigrednole said:

Does any insurance cover national catastrophy, "act of nature" (like hurricane or the new virus 19? I've read NO in several policies!

Edited by cardamon

Just now, cardamon said:

Does any insurance cover national catastrophy, acy of nature (like hurricane or the new virus 19?

Cover how? In some ways yes, in some ways no.

Storms and this Virus in a way are treated the same.

Travel Insurance is only there to help protect you against unknown future loss against unknown future events.

Just like you can buy fire insurance on your home while the fire department is on the way. The fire is now a known event.

For Hurricanes and such and this Virus,,,,, the standard in the industry is once the storm is named or the virus becomes a known public health issue , then that is the cutoff date for buying protection.

Just like right now, if you purchased a policy before Jan 22nd (I think the date is) and you holiday is affected by the Covid - 19, then travel insurance is good. On the other hand, if you bought the policy after the cutoff date, then Covid-19 is exempted from coverage. Of course this Covid-19 thing and travel and insurance is all very fluid right now. Things are changing by the minute.

• Like 1