Cancelling due to Hospice

Jim The Lizard

We are scheduled to sail 2/23 on Encore.  Unfortunately, my dad has entered in home hospice.  I have third party insurance that should cover most of my Travel; my question is we used two Cruise Next Deposits.   Would I claim those through my insurance?. According to NCL cancellation schedule, I have lost the monetary value of those deposits.  I paid $125, they are worth $250 each for my booking.  Anyone have any experience or insight with this?

I also cant answer your question about cruisenext certificates.  I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Hospice caregivers are so wonderful . The company often times has grief programs and chaplains if the family requests them.  You and your family will be in my thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Petals22 said:

I also cant answer your question about cruisenext certificates.  I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Hospice caregivers are so wonderful . The company often times has grief programs and chaplains if the family requests them.  You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Thank you 

32 minutes ago, Jim The Lizard said:

We are scheduled to sail 2/23 on Encore.  Unfortunately, my dad has entered in home hospice.  I have third party insurance that should cover most of my Travel; my question is we used two Cruise Next Deposits.   Would I claim those through my insurance?. According to NCL cancellation schedule, I have lost the monetary value of those deposits.  I paid $125, they are worth $250 each for my booking.  Anyone have any experience or insight with this?

I am so sorry to hear about your father.We are in a similar situation and might have to cancel. I went and read on the FAQ

about cancelling when part of the payment is a cruise next certificate and I thought I read that the certificate would

be treated as any other form of payment and might be credited back. Probably best to call them. 

Have your Cruise Next Certificates reached their expiration dates ?  If not, they can either be credited back to your NCL account or use them to put a deposit on another cruise.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Hospice was wonderful to my late husband. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Have your Cruise Next Certificates reached their expiration dates ?  If not, they can either be credited back to your NCL account or use them to put a deposit on another cruise.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Hospice was wonderful to my late husband. 

Thank you.  I would think they can be transferred as they have three years left before expiration.  However, the cancellation fee schedule on NCL website indicates that is not an option.  So I think I will have to pursue their value with the insurance I purchased.   

1 hour ago, Jim The Lizard said:

Prayers for your dad. 

You used your CN certificates to pay for the cruise. You are cancelling at a point where there is 100% penalty. You must cancel. NCL will retain 100% of your cruise fare (including your CN certificates). NCL will refund your port taxes and fees. NCL will refund Any pre-paid expenses (beverage grats, dining charges and grats, internet/beverage upgrade costs, pre paid DSC, ShoreEx). 

When you cancel, NCL will provide you with a cancellation receipt itemizing the money refunded and the cruise fare cancellation penalty. Submit that along with your original receipts to your insurance company. 

Your insurance company, not NCL, will determine if your claim is consistent with the policy (e.g, preexisting conditions, reason for cancellation, etc). And decide if they are going to pay back your cruise fare. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Prayers for your dad. 

You used your CN certificates to pay for the cruise. You are cancelling at a point where there is 100% penalty. You must cancel. NCL will retain 100% of your cruise fare (including your CN certificates). NCL will refund your port taxes and fees. NCL will refund Any pre-paid expenses (beverage grats, dining charges and grats, internet/beverage upgrade costs, pre paid DSC, ShoreEx). 

When you cancel, NCL will provide you with a cancellation receipt itemizing the money refunded and the cruise fare cancellation penalty. Submit that along with your original receipts to your insurance company. 

Your insurance company, not NCL, will determine if your claim is consistent with the policy (e.g, preexisting conditions, reason for cancellation, etc). And decide if they are going to pay back your cruise fare. 

Thank you BirdTravels.   Makes perfect sense.   Was unsure how the paperwork worked.   Thank you. 

I would also imagine you will need to have a statement signed by the doctor.  I recently cancelled a cruise due to family illness and the form I printed up was very easy and brief for the doctor to fill out. I submitted that with my printed paper from NCL and the insurance did the math. They paid the cruise fare. NCL had already did a credit card refund for taxes, port charges, prepaid tips and water i purchased. 

I have also cancelled a cruise (before final payment) where i had used my cruise next certificates. They were just used for my next cruise. Not knowing how long your dad will live i would guess planning another trip may be awhile off. Hospice isn’t like it was years ago when they gave you a 6 week life expectancy. Your dad may very well be around for a long time. They just want to make him comfortable with what life he has remaining.

good luck with cancelling and paperwork. God bless your Dad.

As far as the cruise next certificates, you paid a total amount for the cruise. That is what your insurance should return. The fact thst you only paid $125 for the certificates doesn't matter because they counted as $250 toward your cruise fare.