iPhone gimbal

naskeag

The 3 pound full frame Nikon is no longer my camera of choice, even with a lightweight prime lense.

We have dragged DSLRs with zooms around between Alaska and Norway and now want to travel light.

Yes, we shoot RAW and post process with ADOBE but this year it will be the phones only.

Very impressed with iphone 7 captures by shipmate in Iceland. Armed with the Apple XR, can anyone 

suggest a good brand Gimbal for use shooting videos with the phone?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Edited by naskeag
Add thanks

I feel your pain!  

This August we have a QM2 Norway trip planned which is bookended with transatlantic crossings in each direction. We have already done an even dozen crossings on that ship so I don’t feel the need to document the voyage, but this will be our first visit to the fjords. Thoughts of lugging my camera equipment have had me giving a good bit of thought to alternatives. 

I gave serious consideration to the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 but, in the end, purchased the FreeFly Movi gimbal to pair with my iPhone 11 Pro. There is a serious difference in price between the two, but the Movi seemed to me to be more like a piece of camera equipment that would last. Both gimbals have multiple positive reviews online. 

In the few weeks that I’ve had to play with the Movi, I am very much impressed with the stability and smoothness of the video I’ve shot.  I am using FilMic Pro on my phone rather than the built-in camera software. It allows you to control white balance, focus, frame-rate, etc. and is well worth considering, too.

In any event, enjoy traveling light and, since you have seen the fjords, let me know if you think I might regret not hauling my Nikon!

Doug

• Thanks 1

I had the Movi but sold it and got the Osmo. The movi was not quick to keep up with the developments of new multi lens iPhones and the unit needs counterweights when using some external lenses which made it cumbersome as a full size gimbal. Another  option Would be the Osmo Pocket. It’s an incredible piece of kit. 

I shoot  a lot of pro video on a smartphone and give seminars about it. 
I’ve done these as demos..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...