? Re Scooter batteries: lithium polymer/lithium ion.

mlbcruiser

Almost just bought al foldable scooter but since that particular scooter has a lithium polymer battery instead of a lithium ionI battery, I am not sure if it would be allowed to be carried onto an airplane the same as a lithium ion battery would. I was told by my airline that a lithium battery must be under 300 WH (watt hours). While the polymer battery is in compliance in that regard, a number of other scooters mention their lithium ion batteries are approved for aircraft cabins. 
Intetestingly, scooter dealers don’t seem to know, nor do reps in their headquarters! Hoping there is someone on here that might.  Thanks for any knowledgeable help.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:42 PM, mlbcruiser said:

Almost just bought al foldable scooter but since that particular scooter has a lithium polymer battery instead of a lithium ionI battery, I am not sure if it would be allowed to be carried onto an airplane the same as a lithium ion battery would. I was told by my airline that a lithium battery must be under 300 WH (watt hours). While the polymer battery is in compliance in that regard, a number of other scooters mention their lithium ion batteries are approved for aircraft cabins. 
Intetestingly, scooter dealers don’t seem to know, nor do reps in their headquarters! Hoping there is someone on here that might.  Thanks for any knowledgeable help.

Well crap I just bought the E V Rider and the stats say it is airport approved. It has a lithium battery, but have no idea if it is lithium Polymer of lithium ion. Is it under 300 WH got no Idea, I guess I better get the paper work out. Crap

Actually, from  the info I can find so far, whether a lithium battery is ion or polymer shouldn’t really matter after all. 

Don’t worry!  Your EV Rider is fine. I called  one major airline’s’ special needs dept.  and it was one of the scooters already on their list of approved list of scooters using lithium batteries. (Anyway, I was told that just because a scooter has not yet been placed on their approved list does not mean it won’t meet their approval.)  The  one I ordered is not yet on it but meets the official requirements.) I have contacted 2 other airlines and gave them the info they require to determine approval of a scooter and was told the scooter I ordered does meet the requirements.) 

For the record, the scooter I ordered does NOT have a lithium POLYMER battery after all! According to the company brochure, the battery IS a lithium ION. . One of the Internet sites advertising the scooter listed it’s lithium battery as the polymer type apparently in error.   (I have found that various vendors’ sales sites seem to list different specs for the exact same brands and styles of scooters sometimes.   Errors galore!  However, most of the time it is just some type of measurement that varies slightly.) 

The stats I have seen for the EV Rider list lithium ION batteries.  

Edited by mlbcruiser

2 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Actually, from  the info I can find so far, whether a lithium battery is ion or polymer shouldn’t really matter after all. 

Don’t worry!  Your EV Rider is fine. I called  one major airline’s’ special needs dept.  and it was one of the scooters already on their list of approved list of scooters using lithium batteries. (Anyway, I was told that just because a scooter has not yet been placed on their approved list does not mean it won’t meet their approval.)  The  one I ordered is not yet on it but meets the official requirements.) I have contacted 2 other airlines and gave them the info they require to determine approval of a scooter and was told the scooter I ordered does meet the requirements.) 

For the record, the scooter I ordered does NOT have a lithium POLYMER battery after all! According to the company brochure, the battery IS a lithium ION. . One of the Internet sites advertising the scooter listed it’s lithium battery as the polymer type apparently in error.   (I have found that various vendors’ sales sites seem to list different specs for the exact same brands and styles of scooters sometimes.   Errors galore!  However, most of the time it is just some type of measurement that varies slightly.) 

The stats I have seen for the EV Rider list lithium ION batteries.  

Thanks for the information. Americcan Airlines site wants you fill in an online form and submit it. I didn't do this while making the reservation so I'm going to call them and fill out the form.