Seabourn just cancelled our Sailing with less then 24 hr notice!

Westiesheepie

3 hours ago, germanshep said:

Hi guys:

Are any of you guys cancelling your cruises on Seabourn due to the Coronavirus? Any luck in getting full refunds?

Best,

GermanShep

No luck in getting a full refund.  Only offered an exchange to another cruise, at a higher price.  And, no compensation for money lost in independent air travel changes, etc.

1 hour ago, oceanviewer21 said:

I just got notification that it had arrived in Singapore timed 05.43. Perhaps it went for a spin.

It’s on its way to Sembawang which is a shipyard. Don’t know how Seabourn could have arranged maintenance in such a short time but perhaps they have some things they may as well do while the ship is empty. 

13 minutes ago, rols said:

It’s on its way to Sembawang which is a shipyard. Don’t know how Seabourn could have arranged maintenance in such a short time but perhaps they have some things they may as well do while the ship is empty. 

Interesting.This is in line with what I just heard from friends, that they sent Ovation to dry dock. But it's early in Ovation's history to do that so I don't know if it will be for dry dock or just some other maintenance.

2 hours ago, Kruzngrlz said:

No luck in getting a full refund.  Only offered an exchange to another cruise, at a higher price.  And, no compensation for money lost in independent air travel changes, etc.

Is this for a cruise that Seabourn has cancelled or one that is booked for a future date that you have cancelled?

1 hour ago, rols said:

Makes you wonder if this was planned a little further in advance than what guests were told...I wonder if this means the February 29th cruise will still leave from Singapore as scheduled? 

2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Interesting.This is in line with what I just heard from friends, that they sent Ovation to dry dock. But it's early in Ovation's history to do that so I don't know if it will be for dry dock or just some other maintenance.

Currently just berthed. That shipyard has a few dry docks so it may do that however I can believe Seabourn could arrange general maintenance at short notice, I really don't see them doing a dry dock, those are planned months or more in advance and usually have container loads of stuff sent out in preparation. 

19 hours ago, norm2002 said:

I do hope Seabourn has not lost its ability to deal with problems with good grace and common sense.

We were happy with the communication and the response. We have cancelled our Feb 29 cruise and booked another later in the year. 

4 hours ago, rols said:

Currently just berthed. That shipyard has a few dry docks so it may do that however I can believe Seabourn could arrange general maintenance at short notice, I really don't see them doing a dry dock, those are planned months or more in advance and usually have container loads of stuff sent out in preparation. 

Presumably dry dock would also mean the crew would be released into the wider community with the added chance of picking up “flu”

5 hours ago, rols said:

I was surprised when told it was for a dry dock and do believe that's unlikely, given the amount of preplanning it would require.  

Are you able to keep us updated with regard to how long Ovation stays there? 

18 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I was surprised when told it was for a dry dock and do believe that's unlikely, given the amount of preplanning it would require.  

Are you able to keep us updated with regard to how long Ovation stays there? 

I'm going to keep checking it myself however you can also find it here https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9764958. If you click the little folded map icon and change to 'navionics' you'll see the berth locations. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:38 AM, ab21au said:

We saw what happened when the Ovation was traveling to Manila from HK. Governments can change the rules at any time, preventing cruise lines from docking. This must be a concern for all cruise lines and their guests. 

I thought it interesting that the Chinese embassy was very critical of Australia’s decision to extend the denied entry of Chinese citizens by another week. 

Yes I found that strange too considering they have quarantined whole sections of their own country from travelling.

This from the Sydney Morning Herald, in a report about how different cruise lines handle the Corona situation.

....Seabourn

In addition to cancelling Seabourn's departure on February 15, Seabourn has cancelled the cruise on board Ovation that was due to depart Singapore on February 29, a two-week round-trip voyage. In a statement the line said: "The decision comes out of an abundance of caution considering the highly dynamic and unpredictable changes we have seen the past couple of weeks in travel restrictions and port operations that could affect the cruises. While we expect things will stabilize, we never want to put our guests in the position of having an experience that doesn't live up to their expectations."

Compensation: Passengers will receive a full refund of the fare paid, along with any pre-paid charges, such as flights, pre and post hotel stays and excursions, plus a future cruise credit.

We just received notification that Seabourn is changing the itinerary of our cruise so instead of picking up the ship in Singapore on March 22 we will have to get on it in Perth Australia. Right now Singapore Airlines is not allowing us to get a refund on our flight and flights to Perth from LAX business class are several thousand dollars more than our current flight. Seabourn has said they might pay for additional reasonable travel costs - but they could find it reasonable that we fly on a two stop 50 hour journey. If we do make it on the cruise they have offered a $2500 discount on future cruises. Or to have our money held as a credit for the future. What a mess!

This is the new intinerary - if anyone on this board has some comments on the ports I would be grateful to hear them: Brad

Sunday, March 22

Fremantle (Perth), Western Australia, Australia

8:00 PM

Monday, March 23

Bunbury, Western Australia, Australia

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Tuesday, March 24

At Sea (Great Australian Bight)

Wednesday, March 25

Albany, Western Australia, Australia

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

Thursday, March 26

Esperance, Western Australia, Australia

Friday, March 27

At Sea (Great Australian Bight)

Saturday, March 28

At Sea

Sunday, March 29

Port Lincoln, South Australia, Australia

Monday, March 30

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Tuesday, March 31

Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island, Australia

Wednesday, April 1

At Sea (Bass Strait)

Thursday, April 2

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Overnight

Friday, April 3

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Overnight

5:00 PM

Saturday, April 4

Burnie, Tasmania, Australia

10:00 AM

11:00 PM

Sunday, April 5

At Sea (Tasman Sea)

Monday, April 6

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

These are nice and picturesque stops. Plus some ports will be very happy to see tourists after those horrible fires in Australia.

That said, I can imagine that it would be a pain in the butt to organise reasonably priced flights from LAX to Perth and then home from HOBART!!! What the (insert your favourite swear word here).

I business class,  this would cost an insane amount of money.  Eco could be done for under 3K.

And don't forget that you would arrive in PER Los Angeles time +2!!

So to make a departure from Fremantle/PER on March 22nd, you would need to take a flight put of LAX on March 20!