Suite perks

maxy35

So. We are in a Grand Suite this coming fall on Oasis, it’s our first at that level and not sure entirely on what the perks are when it comes to eating and drinking. We usually take a drinks package & a dining package when we sail. I read that we can eat in CK complimentary and if desire to, breakfast in Chops or other designated speciality restaurant? Also that there maybe a complimentary drink in CK from 11 to 11 for suite guests? I’m assuming that’s only in CK? Not at any bar? Unless of course we have a drinks package, which is the real question. Would you bother with any food or drinks package being in a Grand Suite?? I like to drink and eat where and when I like.

You can have breakfast lunch and dinner at CK not in any other specialty restaurants.  Beer and wine (limited selections) is available up there from 11 to 11 and there is a happy hour in the afternoon either 5 til 8:30 or 4:30 to 8 that serves limited alcoholic beverages.  

• Like 1

Just to add... we have done suites on Oasis, Allure, and Harmony.  We eat all our meals in Coastal Kitchen.  It's quite, good service and very nice.  But the menu is somewhat limited. You can probably find the menus on line somewhere, and can certainly get them in the App when the cruise is posted there.  Then you can decide if you want to do the dining package or not. 

As for a Drink Package, we don't do it as we would never drink enough to cover the cost.  We do most our drinking before dinner and we LOVE the Suite Lounge.  Also, as mentioned, you can get beer and wine from 11-11.  So often we'll wander up there and enjoy the view with a beer or glass of wine.  Now, we took our adult kids and had suites for all of us.  I bought them the drink packages and my guess Royal Caribbean lost money.  😜. So it all depends on your drinking habits. If you are going to spend all day around the pool and enjoy drinks, probably worth it.  If you're going to drink primarily in the Suite Lounge during Happy Hour, probably not. Keep in mind how much time you might spend off the ship in port.  That may factor in also. 

By the way, if you eat at Coastal Kitchen, and since it's free wine until 11 pm, you get free wine with dinner.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

Sailed Harmony in November with 8 of us booked in Grand Suites and 2 non drinkers in a Junior Suite.  Enjoyed most meals in CK but did buy everyone a 3 night dining package.  Cousins are still talking about being able to go to SL anytime between 11 and 11 and enjoy a beer or wine.  The drinks offered during Happy Hour met our needs.  We did purchase a drink or two in other bars while out and about the ship but could not justify the extra expense of a package.

Enjoy your suite experience.

Edited by Snit13
error

We were not impressed with dinner in CK , after a few meals we then had dinner in specialty restaurants. Wine selection is pretty bad in CK we did by drink package to get the drinks and wine we wanted. Breakfast was fine in CK which has a great view.   Dinner first night is very nice. 

7 hours ago, maxy35 said:

Would you bother with any food or drinks package being in a Grand Suite?? I like to drink and eat where and when I like.

We're not fans of the Suite Lounge liquor choices so we always buy the drink package despite the perk. As far as CK goes, you may want to try it out. We've gone a whole week without booking a specialty and it was good to excellent depending on the menu.

8 hours ago, maxy35 said:

So. We are in a Grand Suite this coming fall on Oasis, it’s our first at that level and not sure entirely on what the perks are when it comes to eating and drinking. We usually take a drinks package & a dining package when we sail. I read that we can eat in CK complimentary and if desire to, breakfast in Chops or other designated speciality restaurant? Also that there maybe a complimentary drink in CK from 11 to 11 for suite guests? I’m assuming that’s only in CK? Not at any bar? Unless of course we have a drinks package, which is the real question. Would you bother with any food or drinks package being in a Grand Suite?? I like to drink and eat where and when I like.

We always stay in GS. We always buy the drink package. Only complimentary drinks in SL/CK are from the Diamond List. Only Beer/Wine outside of happy hour unless you have the drink package. If you like Vodka, the house Vodka is New Amsterdam. Most people think it’s just bad. It you want a quality Vodka/Scotch/Bourbon, get the package. 

Make sure you reply to the Concierge letter with you preferred dinner dinning time for CK, if you plan to eat there  Otherwise, it’s possible the times you want may be taken when you board. That letter typically comes 3-5 days before your cruise departs. 

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're not a fan of the CK lunches or dinner's. It's limited and basic and doesn't seem to change. We do however on several nights order from the main dining room menu (suite perk) and have it delivered to our suite for an intimate setting. Can't speak to the drinks as we aren't heavy drinkers and never get the drinks package. I do appreciate the coffee, tea's at the CK and the bottled waters for port days. 

6 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Sailed Harmony in November with 8 of us booked in Grand Suites and 2 non drinkers in a Junior Suite.  Enjoyed most meals in CK but did buy everyone a 3 night dining package.  Cousins are still talking about being able to go to SL anytime between 11 and 11 and enjoy a beer or wine.  The drinks offered during Happy Hour met our needs.  We did purchase a drink or two in other bars while out and about the ship but could not justify the extra expense of a package.

Enjoy your suite experience.

Were the 2 in a JS able to eat most meals in CK with you? and go to the SL? 

So I see wine by the glass, but does anyone know the brand/label offered for free? We tend to like our sparkling wines,more on the dry side than sweet. Are there options for what label wine? Also, can you make special requests? Or, if you have the drink package, do they carry better quality sparkling wines in the lounge?

We decided to go without the drink package on our last cruise given access to the SL.  Figured we would just order outside of the SL as desired, and probably end up spending less than the drink package cost...which turned out to be true.  What I didn't anticipate was that I could not buy a drink in the SL.  People with the package could order drinks that were not on the happy hour menu but they said that they were not equipped to swipe my card to pay for a drink.  This was Symphony last spring.  Not sure if that's true everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We decided to go without the drink package on our last cruise given access to the SL.  Figured we would just order outside of the SL as desired, and probably end up spending less than the drink package cost...which turned out to be true.  What I didn't anticipate was that I could not buy a drink in the SL.  People with the package could order drinks that were not on the happy hour menu but they said that they were not equipped to swipe my card to pay for a drink.  This was Symphony last spring.  Not sure if that's true everywhere.

Good info. We always get the drink package to avoid NA. Makes more sense now. 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, PeachKeen said:

So I see wine by the glass, but does anyone know the brand/label offered for free? We tend to like our sparkling wines,more on the dry side than sweet. Are there options for what label wine? Also, can you make special requests? Or, if you have the drink package, do they carry better quality sparkling wines in the lounge?

Basic table wines are included - very basic.  Wine is personal but the basic Cabernet is hard to get past my nose.  There are more choices beyond the basic table wines for those who want to buy a glass or have a drink package.  

While I often don't buy a drink package, at dinner I'll buy a glass of wine because I don't like to ruin a dinner with a cheap wine.  A great filet with a cheap Cabernet ruins the filet (for me). 

Recently in CK they had Oberon as one of the paid wine offerings so that was my Cab of choice when I wanted something red.  Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc was my choice for nights I wanted something white.  It's another paid wine offered by the glass.  

Domaine Chandon is usually available around the ship as a paid sparkling wine.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, twangster said:

Basic table wines are included - very basic.  Wine is personal but the basic Cabernet is hard to get past my nose.  There are more choices beyond the basic table wines for those who want to buy a glass or have a drink package.  

While I often don't buy a drink package, at dinner I'll buy a glass of wine because I don't like to ruin a dinner with a cheap wine.  A great filet with a cheap Cabernet ruins the filet (for me). 

Recently in CK they had Oberon as one of the paid wine offerings so that was my Cab of choice when I wanted something red.  Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc was my choice for nights I wanted something white.  It's another paid wine offered by the glass.  

Domaine Chandon is usually available around the ship as a paid sparkling wine.

I am with you.  The wine selections (Kite) in the lounges are horrible.  I often bring two bottles of my favorite wines from home and then I have the three decent bottles that I get from RC due to my status.  This enables me to not have to pay anything.  I try to walk off the ship with a zero balance.  Sometimes I am lucky but most times "not".