Emergency Drill time with 11pm Departure

jantoby

We're joining Boudicca at Limassol 5th March.  Embarcation 2-5pm.  Departure 11pm.

Can we go back ashore to do more sightseeing/have dinner after checking in or will we be made to stay on board for Emergency Drill for those embarking that day (she's on World Cruise and there will be passengers who've already done it)?

Assuming Emergency Drill couldn't be til well after embarcation ends but before First Sitting dinner at 6.15,  would that give enough time for a Drill?

Or as the next day is a Sea Day,  will they do the Drill then?  

I spoke to FO but they don't know.  Said to ask when we've boarded.

Interesting, we are on this cruise, and our flight doesn't arrive till 5:45pm, not sure how far the airport is, but I am guessing that we will not be on board much before 7. They may do the drill between sittings, I think it needs to be done before departure.

Edited by ovccruiser

1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

Interesting, we are on this cruise, and our flight doesn't arrive till 5:45pm, not sure how far the airport is, but I am guessing that we will not be on board much before 7. They may do the drill between sittings, I think it needs to be done before departure.

Depending on which airport you're flying to, could be cutting it a bit fine.

Had this reply from FO:  

"The safety drill would normally take place before dinner, once guests are all on board. It normally lasts around 30 minutes, depending on how long guests take to assemble at their designated points. Once the drill has taken place you will be able to get on and off the ship, but will be given a time to be back on board, I would imagine if its due to sail at 11pm then you will be asked to be back on board by 10pm latest. "

On 2/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, jantoby said:

Depending on which airport you're flying to, could be cutting it a bit fine.

Had this reply from FO:  

"The safety drill would normally take place before dinner, once guests are all on board. It normally lasts around 30 minutes, depending on how long guests take to assemble at their designated points. Once the drill has taken place you will be able to get on and off the ship, but will be given a time to be back on board, I would imagine if its due to sail at 11pm then you will be asked to be back on board by 10pm latest. "

Not very helpful lol. I have been on cruises where the drill is carried out at normal ish time 4-4:30 and late arrivals had their own drill. Don't know how many will be on our flight from Gatwick, but this could be the case.

45 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Not very helpful lol. I have been on cruises where the drill is carried out at normal ish time 4-4:30 and late arrivals had their own drill. Don't know how many will be on our flight from Gatwick, but this could be the case.

It was helpful to me as it answered my question, which was whether I'd be able to go back ashore after the drill.

If you're on a FO charter I guess they'll know when to expect you.

20 hours ago, jantoby said:

It was helpful to me as it answered my question, which was whether I'd be able to go back ashore after the drill.

If you're on a FO charter I guess they'll know when to expect you.

I think it may be a FO charter, it was originally a Thompson flight, but now transferred to a BA flight. Funnily enough, according to my itinerary, check in closes at 5:00pm, 45 minutes before we land 😄

30 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

I think it may be a FO charter, it was originally a Thompson flight, but now transferred to a BA flight. Funnily enough, according to my itinerary, check in closes at 5:00pm, 45 minutes before we land 😄

That's right.  Check-in's 2-5.  

It's rare to come across a charter using BA aircraft.  But they don't have any flights from Gatwick to Larnaca, and don't fly Gatwick to Paphos on Thursdays.  

• 6 months later...

When we were on Braemar in February this year we were on a chartered flight.  We didn't get to the ship until almost 8pm.  Badly arranged with lots of confusion at the airport (Dom Rep) anyway we were having dinner late open sitting when eating our main course there was an announcement that we had to go for the safety drill and all bars and restaurants were closing at this time there were a lot of unhappy passengers.  Every ship I've been on not only FO have had the drill before sailing, I'm sure it's a requirement.

Our cruise last year flying out to Jamaica and cruising back our proper safety drill was held at 8 the next morning the night before when ŵe arrived they just went over everything over the tannoy and Went through muster station locations etc and to report to them the following morning for a full drill.

2 hours ago, Pentlands said:

I like your optimism that anyone will be onboard in early March

This thread was started in February last year, so referred to early March this year, though no one knew what was about to happen at the time.  Someone left feedback recently. then others started answering the question.

Must admit we are hoping life will be getting a back to normal to an extent by March, partly because we have booked 3 weeks in Lanzarote next March.  We are thinking we could have been vaccinated by then - need some hope in life at present.

Edited by tring