Moderno??

LadyBerard

@Daytonasailor

When the server came around with some beef, he began to cut the meat into our salad bowl.   We said wait, we need a plate. He said no, just eat out of your salad bowl. 
The servers were rushing thru from table to table and they rushed right by us. The man on the table next to us was waving his card in the air in an effort to get the servers to stop at his table. 

Those would be totally unacceptable to me and I would certainly let someone know.  Either as you did to the "manager" or through the GM's "Hello" box at Guest Services.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, meglet said:

meat was cooked more than the medium they aim for,

Just curious where that info came from.

On the Gem last month, each skewer of beef that came around had beef so rare it was bloody in addition to totally well done portions. Nothing in between. 

On 2/14/2020 at 11:31 AM, Turtles06 said:

We just spent 20 nights on the Gem.  We keep giving Moderno a try each time we are on NCL, and each time we've been terribly disappointed, as we just were again.   While the salad bar used to really be fabulous (and the only reason to go, imho), it no longer is.    You could still make a meal of it if you want.  The meats have never been good.  I know food is subjective, of course, and in my subjective opinion, NCL can't pull off a churrascaria at sea.  YMMV.  

We were on same cruise.  Never went there before, but we completely agree with Turtle06.  Salad choices were extensive but nothing out of the ordinary.  Meats were only so so not prime quality.  They come around with the cheap cuts first.  The maitre’d tried to make us feel guilty for not wanting dessert.  We had 12 specialty meals and went here once.  Never again.  Frankly all of the food quality on NCL has gone downhill.  Did lobsters go extinct? Roast duck is no longer available in laBistro.  Dinner offerings in the upstairs buffet cafeteria range from fair to inedible.  We’re platinum members (9 on ncl) but I think we’ll be choosing other lines from now on.   The food wasn’t our only disappointment with this cruise.  I had posted another issue I had with an NCL policy on these boards a few days ago but the posting was deleted.  Apparently some things here can’t be discussed in a civil fashion.  ‘’ washee, washee!’

We've been to Moderno on at least 6 cruises. We like it. We both enjoy the salad bar. You can make a meal out of it alone. The meat has not been bad at all except maybe a fatty piece on occasion. There is always more on the way, so that's not a big deal. We've  never had a problem with the Staff. In fact, they have always been very personable and accommodating to us. One time, when we couldn't decide on a dessert, they brought us all of them. We'll go again.

We've done Moderno on the Gem (Oct 2017) and the Pearl (Feb 2018). We are meat lovers and enjoyed it very much. I would say try it once. The service on both ships for this restaurant was outstanding! We enjoyed some mojitos at the bar right next door prior to eating. Husband and I loved it!

On 2/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, spanishguy1970 said:

We have a cruise coming up on the Bliss but i heard that ship does not have Moderno, so i will be using it in Los Lobos, it will be my first time there so i hope is good.

We really enjoyed Los Lobos on the Bliss. The tableside guacamole was wonderful as were the main courses. Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

We really enjoyed Los Lobos on the Bliss. The tableside guacamole was wonderful as were the main courses. Hope you enjoy!

I'm glad to hear that.  I may be booking an upcoming Bliss trip.  I have really liked Moderno in the past and look forward to trying Los Lobos.  Who doesn't love tableside guac!

• Like 1

Our experience with Moderno is similar to most food on NCL - lower quality than land based chain restaurants. 

If you really enjoy churrascaria style restaurants, how do you feel about the chains such as Texas de Brazil or Fogo de Chao?  If you think those are just "OK" you will probably be disappointed with Moderno.  We were.  Did it once, won't do it again.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:28 AM, LadyBerard said:

Thank you everyone for your opinions and information.  As we are platinum, we will probably visit Moderno for one of our platinum dinners.  If there still is salmon and sushi on the salad bar, I will be happy, and my husband is not fussy at all when it comes to beef; although, I am.  The salad bar will be plentiful for me for dinner.

We will be using our platinum dinner voucher for this as well, but paying for the boys 46.80 each. We liked it on the Dawn not sure about the Gem as we didn't bother last April as our grandson (his favorite place) wasn't with us. Hope the salad bar is close to the Dawn and I will be happy :). Not a huge meat eater but do like the pineapple as well :). Guys said the meats were OK but nothing special in 2018 so we shall see what they think on the Gem in June.

5 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

, but paying for the boys 46.80 each. 

Is that what the walk up price is for Moderno?  Is that including tip?  That is about what the chain restaurants are charging (before tip).  $46.80 after you've already supposedly paid for a fine dining meal via your cruise fare, for lesser quality than you get at the chain places is crazy.  And wrong.

For me, Moderno is a “meat fest” - which is probably what churrascaria restaurants are. However, there is so much food on a cruise that I would rather have lesser portions of well prepared dishes - but again there is frequent criticism on the forum as to the quality of food on NCL. (My DW and I found the food quality generally very good across all the venues we ate at.)
For my DW and I, Moderno was ok, but we won’t be visiting on our upcoming cruise. 
We didn’t find the salad bar particularly good - no better at all than the salad bar at our local family steakhouse. The meat was pretty good - certainly had a full tum - but with so many eating options it was probably our least special dinner of our cruise. 

We have eaten at Moderno on a variety of ships and have always enjoyed it - particularly the grilled pineapple and the salad bar.  DH likes his meat medium rare while I'm a "well done" girl. 

Our waiter last month on the Breakaway was so kind.  He had the chef make a selection of all the different cuts of beef well done for me.  The meal overall was quite good.  

We have eaten at Moderno 3 times.   First time was just okay.  Second time the meat was so tough we couldn't eat it.   The final time they served the sides and we waited and waited for the meat.   We finally got tired of waiting, so we ate our sides and left.  

Never again.