Do You Walk Barefoot in Your Cabin?

need2cruisesoon

Needless to say I am a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to air travel, cruising and hotel rooms.

But in my cabin I'm always wearing flip flops or socks because the carpeting gives me the shudders. Stuff grows in carpet.

I mean do they just vacuum the carpeting after the termination of a cruise or do they shampoo on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Need2Cruise

I always travel with a pair of thin fabric slip-on slippers, similar to the ones that most of our recent cruises have provided in our cabins.   I take them home at the end of the cruise (they're not going to give them to another passenger!) and wash them in hot water, take them on my next trip.

I don't consider myself a 'germophobe' but won't go barefoot even in our own house.    I don't want to transfer whatever 'stuff' has come into the house on the bottoms of my shoes into my nice, clean bedsheets.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I travel with "hotel slippers" even though I've had them in my cabin in every cruise I've been on.  It would be my luck the one time I didn't though...  Walk around on the floor in a hotel or cabin in wet socks come time and see what they look like after a minute or two.  You'll never go barefoot in one again.

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I am barefoot as often as possible. Inside, outside, walking the dogs along the canal bank...  This isn't always smart - I develop plantar fasciitis and break toes and step on pokey things - but I really prefer barefeet. Anywhere and everywhere.

I remember when I had PF and had to see the Podiatrist. First thing they told me....start wearing shoes (of some kind) on my feet and to STOP going barefoot.

Usually I now wear some kind of flip flop/slide around the house.  Planter is

so very painful:classic_sad:

I do wear something on my feet in the cabin too.

2 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I am barefoot as often as possible. Inside, outside, walking the dogs along the canal bank...  This isn't always smart - I develop plantar fasciitis and break toes and step on pokey things - but I really prefer barefeet. Anywhere and everywhere.

Me too although - knock wood - I've not suffered any injuries...yet. It's common place for two to three pairs of shoes to have been discarded when I walk in the door.

34 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I remember when I had PF and had to see the Podiatrist. First thing they told me....start wearing shoes (of some kind) on my feet and to STOP going barefoot.

Same here. But I just cannot get used to wearing shoes all of the time.  It's an awful cycle. 

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sorry in advance for the slight detour.  I have suffered from PF for a long time.   Custom orthotics from the Podiatrist help a lot.  But the best thing I ever did for walking was buy a pair of HOKA shoes.  Hoka combined with my orthotics and PF literally became a non issue on long walks.  No affiliation with Hoka -- just sharing something that worked well for me.  

OK, back to the regularly scheduled programming!  

I guarantee you that the  carpeting in my house is far dirtier than anything on board and I go barefoot all the time  ( the interior of my house is run Japanese style)  

Have seen for myself  cabins being carpet shampooed on Turnaround days.   now whether that was  due to a one off in the room, a scheduled maintenance, or the steward had an extra  90 minutes  and was bored so decided to  clean, who knows.  

Yes I walk barefoot in my cabin.  I will walk barefoot through the hallways to the pool area too.  While I would not go into a buffet without shoes no one has made an issue of my unshod feet at the pool-side drink and snack bars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Yes I walk barefoot in my cabin.  I will walk barefoot through the hallways to the pool area too.  While I would not go into a buffet without shoes no one has made an issue of my unshod feet at the pool-side drink and snack bars. 

I had never thought about walking around the ship barefoot.....hallways or anywhere else. It is just easier to put

sandals on my feet if I am going to the pool.   I don't think anyone cares if you go barefoot poolside.

I wear socks around my house because my feet get cold.  I walk barefoot around the ship cabins and hotels and lived to tell about it.  I shower every day and don't eat with my feet, so I'm good.  

Really, the only OCD thing I have is washing my hands with soap and water often when I am traveling. I still touch handrails, elevator buttons, and things like that.  I think avoiding every little thing may give a person a false sense of security.  But I do not touch the door handle while exiting a restroom.  That defeats the purpose of washing my hands.  I use a hand towel to open it. 

Washing my hands and using hand sanitizer have made it so I have never been sick on a cruise or while traveling.  I'm much less concerned about my feet.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you are a germophobe, you probably shouldn't cruise at all or even be in the public for that matter.

I absolutely hate wearing shoes and socks when I am in my cabin/home. It is so uncomfortable. We take our shoes off right by the cabin door so we aren't tracking anything in.

When was the last time someone got their foot amputated or even anything at all happened because they went barefoot in their room?

• Like 2