Do You Walk Barefoot in Your Cabin?

need2cruisesoon

I walk barefoot in the cabin and while I don't go barefoot around the ship, I have gone back and forth to the laundry room barefoot.

I like being barefoot, but my feet are more tender these days, age I guess.  When not barefoot it's flip flops or sandals from as early in the spring as I can handle the cold weather to as late in the fall for the same reason.  I do put on more supportive shoes for walking longer distances like walking the dog or hiking.  

18 hours ago, K32682 said:

If you are wiping down the remote, light switches, etc. do you also wipe down the toilet handle and bathroom faucets? People don't typically wash their hands before flushing and to wash their hands they must turn on the water with unwashed hands.  

Yep, I sure do.  I also wash my hands frequently when I'm out and about.

11 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

I don't blame anyone for taking their socks off once in bed. Sex bites when one wears them

I wear snow shoes.  Helps with deep pile carpets.  Not so comfortable in bed though.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, JennyB1977 said:

Yep and to the horror of the lady next to me at Royal Farms earlier this week, I pumped gas barefoot LOL (I had worn new heels all day and needed a rest)

Like someone said earlier I like being barefoot. When I was a kid I'd run out of the house in the summer shoe-less and be gone all day. I only wear slippers or moccasins at home when my feet are cold.

Slightly off topic - those heels are cute but look incredibly painful 😮 I'm not sure I would pump gas barefoot but would definitely have other shoes in the car to wear 😉 

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, Essiesmom said:

We kick our shoes off at the door at home.  Barefoot all the time unless our feet are cold.  Yes, we go barefoot in the cabin.  EM

This.

No tracking street stuff into the house at all.  Shoes come off at the door.

When cold, I have house slippers for in the house only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Hmmmm. Reading all this I can't help thinking that I am probably not the first guy to sit naked on that sofa in my cabin. 

Well, in my case the last guy who sat naked on that sofa in my cabin sure as hell remains the last guy to sit naked on that sofa in my cabin - at least until I debark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2020 at 1:17 AM, ldubs said:

Sorry in advance for the slight detour.  I have suffered from PF for a long time.   Custom orthotics from the Podiatrist help a lot.  But the best thing I ever did for walking was buy a pair of HOKA shoes.  Hoka combined with my orthotics and PF literally became a non issue on long walks.  No affiliation with Hoka -- just sharing something that worked well for me.  

OK, back to the regularly scheduled programming!  

I don't have PF, by my Hoka Bondis are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

I won't go barefoot in the cabins. Hubby stays in a hotel usually once a week so we have plenty of the hotel slippers we bring with us. After the cruise we just toss them.

25 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I won't go barefoot in the cabins.

Has "why" already been asked? Are the cooties only on the floor? Do the cabin attendants never bring in anything? What about y'all? Nothing on your shoes, hands, etc.?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

No reason to avoid going barefoot unless you chew your nails. Not much you can absorb through your skin. Unless of course if you have open sores already.

This is not true.

Many things can be skin absorbed.

The feet tend to have lower absorption rates due to a thicker layer of dead skin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clo said:

Has "why" already been asked? Are the cooties only on the floor? Do the cabin attendants never bring in anything? What about y'all? Nothing on your shoes, hands, etc.?

If that's your logic then why don't you eat off of the floor or roll around on it, or do you already?

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

If that's your logic then why don't you eat off of the floor or roll around on it, or do you already?

You bet I do. I have a dog and grandkids. Spend a lot of time on the floor. I honestly believe that if people create the most extremely example of germ-o-phobia they might realize how nonsensical a lot of it is.

Edited by clo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, clo said:

You bet I do. I have a dog and grandkids. Spend a lot of time on the floor. I honestly believe that if people create the most extremely example of germ-o-phobia they might realize how nonsensical a lot of it is.

I was referring to cabin floors since that is what the op asked about. So you call not wanting to go barefoot in a cabin is an " extremely example of germ-o-phobia"? :classic_rolleyes::classic_rolleyes::classic_rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I was referring to cabin floors since that is what the op asked about. So you call not wanting to go barefoot in a cabin is an " extremely example of germ-o-phobia"? :classic_rolleyes::classic_rolleyes::classic_rolleyes:

Not at all. I was suggesting that one think of an extreme example. Your cabin attendant, room service etc. touch things constantly. And that's just in your cabin. All over the ship there are hundreds if not thousands of things that get touched and breathed on that are far more likely to make you sick. If someone just wants to keep dirt not germs off the bed or such, then sure. But cooties? Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

Not at all. I was suggesting that one think of an extreme example. Your cabin attendant, room service etc. touch things constantly. And that's just in your cabin. All over the ship there are hundreds if not thousands of things that get touched and breathed on that are far more likely to make you sick. If someone just wants to keep dirt not germs off the bed or such, then sure. But cooties? Not gonna happen.

Why does someone need to think of an extreme example (to fear monger???) when the question was regarding wearing shoes in the cabin. Everyone knows there are germs everywhere and the only way to avoid them is to be in a sterile environment. 

BTW aren't germs and cooties the same thing? Cooties is what we called germs when we were little so I think most people consider them the same.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

This is not true.

Many things can be skin absorbed.

Not really.......at least not in the sphere of microbes (bacteria, viruses, and fungi).  Chemicals (like toxins) and some parasites can be absorbed through the skin, but microbes need a way in, and healthy skin is a very good barrier. 

• Like 1

If its warm and clean why not? At home I usually walk around shirtless and barefoot.. and wear only shorts. I like to feel free and connected to the place. It also depends on the cabin. If its one of those low class cabins I wouldnt recommend walking barefoot there but if there is a carpet floor or something I don't see a problem

Edited by Roger88

25 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why does someone need to think of an extreme example (to fear monger???) when the question was regarding wearing shoes in the cabin. Everyone knows there are germs everywhere and the only way to avoid them is to be in a sterile environment. 

BTW aren't germs and cooties the same thing? Cooties is what we called germs when we were little so I think most people consider them the same.

Sigh. There are people here who wear shoes in their cabin to keep DIRT off them and, for them, that makes sense. And there are those who wear shoes in their cabin to protect from cooties/germs and that doesn't make sense.

• Like 2