Oceana 16 Feb

BrianI

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Ship docked just before noon today, we (like many others) self disembarked, and were ashore by 12:30, and in our car by 12:45, soaked through, thanks to the driving rain.

At times, deck 5 in the atrium  resembled a refugee camp, with all of us self disembarkers trying to find sonewhere to sit, amongst all the suitcases.  

Most inconsiderate passengers of the cruise award, goes to the 4 passengers (presumably doing a b2b, given the lack of any type of luggage) who quite happily sat in the best 4 seats reading and doing cross stitch, whilst all around them people were searching for some floor space to sit on ! 

Welcome back Wowzz 

Andy 

26 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Consider however that like everyone else they need to be out of their cabin so the steward can do the cleaning and all the other places they might wish to sit and relax will likely all be designated waiting places for disembarking passengers.  Not much they can do as a result.   If the weather were lovely and warm and sunny they would doubtless go and sit outside on the upper decks but given the awful weather we are currently having they need to find somewhere inside.

Sorry - not buying that. Plenty of non-designated areas that they could use, including the buffet, plus, if they were B2B cruisers, they could have stayed in their cabins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry - not buying that. Plenty of non-designated areas that they could use, including the buffet, plus, if they were B2B cruisers, they could have stayed in their cabins.

I would imagine that B2B passengers might think that they have more rights to sit where they want than disembarking passengers at the end of their cruise, I know I will in October when I enjoy my first B2B.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would imagine that B2B passengers might think that they have more rights to sit where they want than disembarking passengers at the end of their cruise, I know I will in October when I enjoy my first B2B.

Ha, I trust your tongue is well and truly in your cheek!

I wouldn't have the affrontery or the sheer bad manners to do what they did.

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

My experiences would tell me that the buffet on disembarkation day is the busiest, most horrible and angriest place on the ship.  So much so that I never go anywhere near it on that day.  Have things changed?

I am not saying I disagree with your thought process, just pointing out to less experienced cruisers that the buffet is (in my opinion) anything but a spacious relaxed experience on the last morning.

6 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

My experiences would tell me that the buffet on disembarkation day is the busiest, most horrible and angriest place on the ship.  So much so that I never go anywhere near it on that day.  Have things changed?

I am not saying I disagree with your thought process, just pointing out to less experienced cruisers that the buffet is (in my opinion) anything but a spacious relaxed experience on the last morning.

I think the point is they never disembarked until after 12 and everybody had a designated waiting area on the lower decks, so the buffet should have been relatively clear. 

I agree though, usually avoid the buffet as much as possible on getting off day, why do these people need so much hand luggage😊

Andy 

14 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

We went to the buffet just after 8 for breakfast, and it was pretty relaxed, as cabins did not have to be vacated until 11. People were then requested to wait in their designated waiting areas.

I'd agree with you, that normally the buffet is not a great place to be on disembarkation morni g. 

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I would see that as a result. 

Are they offering free shuttle to Amsterdam? 

Andy 

IJmuiden is also a long way from Amsterdam, fasttrain from Rotterdam is 30 minutes. Cruiseterminal is is the city centre. 

6 minutes ago, boco said:

IJmuiden is also a long way from Amsterdam, fasttrain from Rotterdam is 30 minutes. Cruiseterminal is is the city centre. 

Yes, my point was that because they currently offer free shuttle to Amsterdam from IJmuiden, are they offering it from Rotterdam as you have been diverted? 

Andy 

I remember when there were posts on here saying that at least with IJmuiden there was a better probability of getting than with Amsterdam in high winds.  

Now it looks like IJmuiden has been missed twice in a month.  Yes I have heard of storm Dennis.  Seems like IJmuiden isn't the great safety net it was portrayed as.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I remember when there were posts on here saying that at least with IJmuiden there was a better probability of getting than with Amsterdam in high winds.  

Now it looks like IJmuiden has been missed twice in a month.  Yes I have heard of storm Dennis.  Seems like IJmuiden isn't the great safety net it was portrayed as.

Its not a surprise to me, with the cruise dock being immediately off the North Sea and requiring just over a 90 degree turn to get in.  There is also a small island outside the entrance to the dock too, just to make things more complicated in high winds...

• Like 1