Cabo, Puerto Valarta and Mazatlan Excursions

amy2313

In less than 2 months we will be cruising to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.  

We are still deciding are our excursion and would love to hear if people's thoughts if they have done any of these...

Cabo:  we narrowed it down to doing the UTV & Suspension Bridge tour or Snorkeling & the Arch

Mazatlan:  UTV or beach day

Puerto Vallarta:  UTV through Sierra Madre or UTV through rain forrest or ATV & Surfing

Has anyone done these?  Recommendations, reviews and suggestions would be much appreciated.

We like to have fun, lol. So these are our suggestions:

Cabo: This is where I would jet ski (besides MZ). Also shopping, tacos Gordo Lele. Bar/Brewery hopping. We did a party snorkel boat once to the arches, we had a blast on the way back! My kids like hanging out at the pier area during the last hour or so before it's time to head back to the ship. Usually Cabo is a short stay, hence the less options.

Mazatlan: I highly suggest Stone Island, we all loved it. We've been there on 4 or so cruises and have taken others there. They have all loved it. Hang out at Lety's (Victor's used to be the spot, but word is that he's no longer open, he comes and goes). At Stone, you can do a lot of water sports and ATV. ATV's here are cheap, and you can ride all over the beach! Waiters at Lety's can hook you up. You can also do a banana boat here, jet ski, parasail, etc.! Very active place and also a great place to chill. Food is the BOMB and cheap!!! Head back to the ship an hour or so early and hang out at the bars by the ship or shop!

PV: Our favorite place in the MDR. So much to choose from. We've done this cruise about 10 times, so we've done many things. The ship is in port for a long time. I usually rent a van/driver. We do some shopping. We head up to El Eden (tourist trap, so don't eat here, just enjoy the sites and water) or somewhere up in the jungle. There's a tequila outdoor shops up there, have some samples. If you really want to ATV, I'd do it here in PV. Lot's of mud and water and jungle! Do not book on ship, bargain once you get off the ship. You can also zip line, drivers usually get you a good deal! BEWARE: They might get you a better deal, but it might not include ALL of the zip lines (some places might have 15, but you'll get to only do 10 or so). So ask before you pay. Los Muertos Brewery is a cool hangout, good beers and GREAT pizza! In my opinion, going with an affordable driver (NEGOTIATE!) is the way to go, cuz they can take you all over PV and get you on a schedule. But you tell him where YOU want to go! Sometimes they'll want to take over, don't let them do that. They'll take you to their buddies restaurant, stores, etc. They get a kickback. So figure out what you want to do and tell him! Trust me on this. 9/10, they'll do as you asked.

Anyhow, hope this helps! 

3 hours ago, klfhngr said:

We like to have fun, lol. So these are our suggestions:

Cabo: This is where I would jet ski (besides MZ). Also shopping, tacos Gordo Lele. Bar/Brewery hopping. We did a party snorkel boat once to the arches, we had a blast on the way back! My kids like hanging out at the pier area during the last hour or so before it's time to head back to the ship. Usually Cabo is a short stay, hence the less options.

Mazatlan: I highly suggest Stone Island, we all loved it. We've been there on 4 or so cruises and have taken others there. They have all loved it. Hang out at Lety's (Victor's used to be the spot, but word is that he's no longer open, he comes and goes). At Stone, you can do a lot of water sports and ATV. ATV's here are cheap, and you can ride all over the beach! Waiters at Lety's can hook you up. You can also do a banana boat here, jet ski, parasail, etc.! Very active place and also a great place to chill. Food is the BOMB and cheap!!! Head back to the ship an hour or so early and hang out at the bars by the ship or shop!

PV: Our favorite place in the MDR. So much to choose from. We've done this cruise about 10 times, so we've done many things. The ship is in port for a long time. I usually rent a van/driver. We do some shopping. We head up to El Eden (tourist trap, so don't eat here, just enjoy the sites and water) or somewhere up in the jungle. There's a tequila outdoor shops up there, have some samples. If you really want to ATV, I'd do it here in PV. Lot's of mud and water and jungle! Do not book on ship, bargain once you get off the ship. You can also zip line, drivers usually get you a good deal! BEWARE: They might get you a better deal, but it might not include ALL of the zip lines (some places might have 15, but you'll get to only do 10 or so). So ask before you pay. Los Muertos Brewery is a cool hangout, good beers and GREAT pizza! In my opinion, going with an affordable driver (NEGOTIATE!) is the way to go, cuz they can take you all over PV and get you on a schedule. But you tell him where YOU want to go! Sometimes they'll want to take over, don't let them do that. They'll take you to their buddies restaurant, stores, etc. They get a kickback. So figure out what you want to do and tell him! Trust me on this. 9/10, they'll do as you asked.

Anyhow, hope this helps! 

Thank you so much!!! This is all so incredibly helpful!!  We think Stone Island might be a great option/choice for us.

• Like 1

For Cabo, probably the UTV Suspension Bridge would be fun for your kids. It's also easy to get a water taxi right on the pier to take you out to the Arch. Pretty simple trip. NEGOTIATE PRICE. Snorkeling is "ok" in Cabo, Maz, PV, but nothing like Hawaii or the Caribbean. There is one world class spot for snorkeling/scuba in Cabo Pulmo but that requires a land vacation to the Cabo area and then a one day (or more) trip to Cabo Pulmo. Video's on YouTube for this amazing spot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Cabo: tacos Gordo Lele.

Gotta love Gordo Lele's. Started eating there back in 2004 when his place was still a crack in the sidewalk by the church. Not the easiest place for cruisers to find however. We are also particularly drawn to Gardinias for their outstanding fish tacos. That's an annual pilgrimage for us for lunch each year.

• Like 1

We are leaning toward The Atv/Suspension bridge in Cabo with maybe a inexpensive boat ride to the Arch, Stone Island in Maz, and some sort of UTV tour in PV.

Has anyone done a UTV tour in PV??  And if so which one?  What company did you use?

Great post, klf.  However, I don't recall parasailing from Stone Island.  In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen parasailing in Mazatlán at all. There might be, in fact, there probably is, but I just don't recall seeing any.

I've gone parasailing in PV, from Los Muertos Beach and from the beach at Zona Dorado.   And in Cabo from Medano Beach.  

For what it's worth, I prefer parasailing from a boat that launches you from the boat itself instead of the ones that launch you from the beach.  

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but if you do ever stay land based in Cabo area, rent a car and drive yourself out to Cabo Pulmo.  Ahhhmazing!  Also if you do get a car, El Chorro and Santa Rita Hot springs (cascading hot falls into the river, with little pools dammed up with rocks) - great places to go via the little town of Santiago.  About 90 minutes from Cabo with some bumpy dirt road.  Very private and quiet, we only saw one other couple hiking along the river, and bizarrely,  they were from a town just 45 minutes away from where we live.  Serendipity, lol.  An older gentleman mans the gate at El Chorro and there is a small entrance fee in pesos only - he gives you a little coated paper bracelet.  No real facilities except in Santiago. 

On 2/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, Mike45LC said:

Great post, klf.  However, I don't recall parasailing from Stone Island.  In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen parasailing in Mazatlán at all. There might be, in fact, there probably is, but I just don't recall seeing any.

I've gone parasailing in PV, from Los Muertos Beach and from the beach at Zona Dorado.   And in Cabo from Medano Beach.  

For what it's worth, I prefer parasailing from a boat that launches you from the boat itself instead of the ones that launch you from the beach.  

Thank you...

The first time we did Stone, there was parasailing... I don't recall on our last visit.

Rumor has it that when they first started parasailing in MZ, the rope was too long. So when they swang back to land, they rammed the people on the parasail into a hotel. Again, a rumor, lol! Not funny it it's true.

There is a reason why the locals in Mexico call it "dope on a rope". Mazatlan is really more of a vacation spot for middle and upper class Latino's. We spent a week at El Cid El Moro last year in July (it was a mostly a free bonus week) and had a great time. But now that the main road from Durango, MX is open - Mazatlan is seeing a huge influx of middle class Mexican tourists. It's still a great cruise stop and they do have a good ex-pat population there. But Cabo and PV are the Americanized vacation spots on the West Coast. Acapulco is very similar. Mexican tourists come from Mexico City (just up the hill) to vacation on the coast in Acapulco.

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

Rumor has it that when they first started parasailing in MZ, the rope was too long. So when they swang back to land, they rammed the people on the parasail into a hotel. Again, a rumor, lol! Not funny it it's true.

My wife's first parasailing was from Playa Del Muertos in PV, a beach launch.  She was terrified of being swung into a building; I'm glad she had not heard the story you just told!!  She was also not thrilled with having to beach run/waddle on the launch or getting caught as she landed.  

So a launch from the boat, with the length of the rope controlled by a winch, is far better for us!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, amy2313 said:

Cabo:  we narrowed it down to doing the UTV & Suspension Bridge tour or Snorkeling & the Arch

My 23-year old daughter and I did the UTV and suspension bridge excursion last spring and had a blast.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, amy2313 said:

We are leaning toward The Atv/Suspension bridge in Cabo with maybe a inexpensive boat ride to the Arch, Stone Island in Maz, and some sort of UTV tour in PV.

Has anyone done a UTV tour in PV??  And if so which one?  What company did you use?

We used Unique ATV Tours. Great people, try to negotiate! Only negative: They push HARD for tips when it's all over!