Get rid of the buffets already!...

klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

Obviously the buffet quality sucks on most cruise lines, so much food and money is wasted, flu's, noro, etc. shared with everyone!

Isn't it time for the buffets to go away and have smaller eateries (food courts)? So much space is wasted in the buffet area! More free food options, smaller portions=saved money by the cruise lines.

IDK, it's been on my mind and wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way!

Edited by klfhngr
typo

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

I doubt many people want smaller portions of anything on a cruise 

They could always go back and forth to the 'food court'..... Let employees serve it to prevent waste and sickness. Make a few stops before you grab your table, lol! 

• Like 2

I rarely eat at the buffet.  maybe a salad and I like to get some varieties of cut cheese.  But that is it. On all of our cruises there is always a line at the buffet so people must like them.  I keep thinking of trying royal or other lines but would miss all of the lunch options that aren't a buffet.  🙂

On our last cruise, we had the BEST Elderberry cake from the buffet.  Now that my doc has made me swear off sugar, I will hold out for the next 4 months on dessert, just to get healthy enough to get another slice.

I have no problems with the buffet, just the size of the plate.  If you get a plate that big, then most folks feel they have to fill it.  If they filled it with small amounts of lots of things, then they might eat it-I just remember that the big plates replaced trays-and who wants to eat a tray full of food?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Fallacy of presupposition....

I usually like the buffet choices on the ships I’ve been on.

IMHO,  I should've stated. But I do read the reviews, and many are expressing how bad the buffet food has gotten. So I'm right 😉

3 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

On our last cruise, we had the BEST Elderberry cake from the buffet.  Now that my doc has made me swear off sugar, I will hold out for the next 4 months on dessert, just to get healthy enough to get another slice.

I have no problems with the buffet, just the size of the plate.  If you get a plate that big, then most folks feel they have to fill it.  If they filled it with small amounts of lots of things, then they might eat it-I just remember that the big plates replaced trays-and who wants to eat a tray full of food?

Great idea! How many times have you walked by an empty table only to see plates of half eaten food! Smaller plates=smaller servings=less waste!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

The plates are large to allow space between items while needing only one plate. Protein separate from starch from veg from bread.

• Like 1

I think you have some valid points about waste especially but I do like the buffet area for lunch and yes a food court could, kinda, work but I'm guessing a lot of people like myself like visiting different stations and mix/matching between them- somehow I see that as taking a lot more time in a food court set up.  

@klfhngr

I think you missed the boat on this one.  Carnival is moving to bigger and bigger ships that hold more pax.  While the buffet seating may not usually fill 100%, the line process for the buffet is very efficient compared to say Guys Burgers.  And the food stations on the newer ships appear to be an improvement over the single stations.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

IMHO,  I should've stated. But I do read the reviews, and many are expressing how bad the buffet food has gotten. So I'm right 😉

Well, pretty tough to argue with that line of analysis and since you’re the OP, I’ll defer.

• Like 1

I eat at the buffet at least once a day on every cruise.  After 15 cruises, I've never gotten sick.  I wash my hands after handling the utensils or use hand sanitizer and think that's the key.  Anyway, the buffet food is hit or miss.  As far as dinner buffets, I think Royal does it well with a great variety.  I always fill half of my plate with a salad when I eat at the buffet for lunch or dinner.  There is definitely more food waste at buffets.

I do really like the new buffet setup on the Panorama and wish they would do that in all of Carnival's ships.  It's set up in stations and so much easier to get something without waiting in long lines.  I think it would be disappointing if the cruise lines did away with buffets, although a food court sounds appealing.

• Like 3

Interestingly, I just read a review on the AIDA board and those ships do not have an MDR.  They have up to five buffets, although it seems they all serve the same things...  My favorite buffets are on the S class of Celebrity.  EM

• Like 1