Get rid of the buffets already!...

klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, richstowe said:

Have you actually been on a cruise ? Based on your definition of normal , very few are  . 

And BTW , nobody needs a cruise either . I'll take that back . Sometimes I need a cruise !

No of course not. Just come on this site for giggles.

16 cruises actually. And never had 2 three course meals in a day.

In fact usually miss the buffet too as I tend to have a huge breakfast.

25 minutes ago, That sinking feeling said:

Why does anyone think they have to eat a lot at a buffet? I never have and I am NOT a thin person 🙂

1 minute ago, That sinking feeling said:

No idea. But I didnt say they did either.

In fact I was arguing people dont need to eat that much.

I read your comment as if one eats at the buffet then they'll eat a lot. ?

I certainly wouldn't want every meal to be a formal event with no quick service options. 

There is reason to think that the buffets are the culprits for the spread noroviris and other disease transmission on ships.  Closing them is often the first action after a serious outbreak to slow the spread.  Often a case of closing the barn door too late.  Why not just get rid of the source before/instead of having an outbreak.  And once there is an onboard epidemic, nobody is safe so it is not a matter that can be simply dismissed as "if you don't like the buffet, don't eat there"  The "please wash your hands" signs are not sufficient.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Why does anyone think they have to eat a lot at a buffet? I never have and I am NOT a thin person 🙂

Why would anyone even care how much another person eats, no matter the dining venue? 🙄

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

I think the time of the buffet is almost over and this venue should be replaced on ships with a food hall with more artisanal choices or multiple smaller included restaurants that have the same hours as the buffet each of which focus on one cuisine or type of food only.   IMO it would cut back on wasted food and should increase the quality of food overall.  

3 hours ago, That sinking feeling said:

No of course not. Just come on this site for giggles.

16 cruises actually. And never had 2 three course meals in a day.

I really think that lots of people eat 2 three course meals most of the days.  The reason why I think that is that the staff in the restaurants always comment when I don't order at least three courses! Most of the days I eat three courses both for lunch and dinner but not always.

I don't think that I eat very much on a cruise because many of the courses are rather small.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, That sinking feeling said:

Not at all. I was trying to argue the opposite. Failed though I suspect. Lol

Another "not at all." I thought you were talking about other people eating too much:)

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Another "not at all." I thought you were talking about other people eating too much:)

No. I was suggesting there is no reason to have a three  course lunch as well eating a three course dinner.

It is also true that I said some eat the buffet like it's their last meal prior to getting the chair.

But the later points were about using the buffet for lunch rather than being served a three course meal.

It gets bloody complicated on here. Lol

2 hours ago, That sinking feeling said:

No. I was suggesting there is no reason to have a three  course lunch as well eating a three course dinner.

It is also true that I said some eat the buffet like it's their last meal prior to getting the chair.

But the later points were about using the buffet for lunch rather than being served a three course meal.

It gets bloody complicated on here. Lol

We always eat a 5 course meal very evening in the MDR on all our cruises. And sometimes two desserts. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Did you sign an NDA that prevents you from answering the question about what ship it was?

Well it wasn't a Scientology ship so no 😜. Fact is I wasn't aware anyone asked. Notifications are a bit difficult to click on in a mobile browser. Aranui to whoever was interested. 

I like the buffet.  On a seven days cruise we will have breakfast in the buffet a couple of times instead of in the MDR as we often find slightly different foods on offer and it's just nice to have a change.  Lunch is always in the buffet because with a big breakfast inside of us and a big meal ahead, we want something light and have been known to have just a bowl of soup and a bread roll.

I must admit to staring at some peoples' plates and the amount of food piled up.  We are just off the Symphony and I watched one man eating off two plates and then going back for a third!!  And no, I wasn't deliberately watching him, he was sitting directly In my eye line so I couldn't help but notice him.  In a funny way I quite admired his ability to eat so much food 😂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

I think the time of the buffet is almost over and this venue should be replaced on ships with a food hall with more artisanal choices or multiple smaller included restaurants that have the same hours as the buffet each of which focus on one cuisine or type of food only.   IMO it would cut back on wasted food and should increase the quality of food overall.  

There simply isn't enough room on a ship for a food shop hall.  Go ahead and sketch out how you would repurpose the buffet to accommodate multiple included restaurants.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There simply isn't enough room on a ship for a food shop hall.  Go ahead and sketch out how you would repurpose the buffet to accommodate multiple included restaurants.  

Richard Branson's Virgin Voyages cruise ship has been designed like that.  So...yes, there is enough room on a cruise ship to do it and it can and has been done.  

17 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Richard Branson's Virgin Voyages cruise ship has been designed like that.  So...yes, there is enough room on a cruise ship to do it and it can and has been done.  

At what price?

$2700 for a five night cruise in an inside?

Is that what you want?

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't most now have different "stations" within the buffet space? So I can get salad in one area, a burger somewhere else, etc.?