Formal Attire

17 minutes ago, cruiser1949 said:

My husband and I will be going on an New England cruise in October.  I was wondering if woman wear long dresses or short dress for the formal nights,

I see fewer and fewer long dresses except for long sun dresses. The women wearing long gowns generally look stunning but I see a fewer and fewer each cruise. We did a longer Canada and NE cruise this past summer (on grandeur) and I was surprised at how casual passengers dressed on formal nights. I wore a black cocktail dress or dress pants and a fancy top on formal nights. (Occasionally I pack a long black skirt rather than the dress slacks.) Many dressed much more  casually. 

Enjoy

m

Formal nights are now Casual nights. Fewer and fewer people making an effort to dress up. You are likely to folks dressed up a bit sitting next to people in shorts (fewer shorts on the NE cruises).  You are on vacation and dress in manner that makes you comfortable. On our last Allure cruise (since it is easier to count gentlemen attire), in our section of the MDR on Formal Night, there were no gents in tuxes, you could count the number of suits and ties on 1 hand, a few sports coats, lots of polo shirts. 

9 hours ago, cruiser1949 said:

My husband and I will be going on an New England cruise in October.  I was wondering if woman wear long dresses or short dress for the formal nights,

You cannot be over dressed on a cruise,  but lots of people have there own opinion of there rights to arrive for dinner in what ever ... My wife is in the Camilla zone at the moment, short or long and flowing very exotic.,  😘

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s very disappointing the way some people dress on formal nights. When you’re sitting at a group table, you should show a little respect for others. While I don’t wear my tux anymore, I wear at least a jacket and tie on formal nights. We request not to be seated at a table with anyone wearing shorts or a t-shirt. They always accommodate us. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, slester said:

It’s very disappointing the way some people dress on formal nights. When you’re sitting at a group table, you should show a little respect for others. While I don’t wear my tux anymore, I wear at least a jacket and tie on formal nights. We request not to be seated at a table with anyone wearing shorts or a t-shirt. They always accommodate us. 

that is good. I don't want to sit with you either.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, slester said:

Thankfully, we always choose a two top, so we are exempt from your dress code. 🙂

• Like 6

12 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

that is good. I don't want to sit with you either.

I usually wear a long dress and my partner wears a dress jacket and pants almost every night. We love to get dressed up. However, I am quoting this because I actually laughed so hard. It's your vacation and even though we like to get dressed up it doesn't bother me if others do not. It's nice to have the option because sometimes you may just want to stay by the pool and soak up the sun a little longer and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, slester said:

I'm really trying to imagine someone actually going up and saying that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

I'm really trying to imagine someone actually going up and saying that 

It’s really amazing how a simple request can improve your cruise experience. 

• Like 1

Just back today from my Anthem cruise to Florida and Bahamas. I wore long dresses both formal nights. Most people were not dressed up. Some were just a little dressed up. I didn’t care, I looked fabulous. And I felt great and was happy we could all dress the way we liked to. We took some very nice pictures which we hardly ever do. I figured it might be one of the last times I’ll get that dressed up so why not. If everyone’s going super casual I may do the same going forward. I do prefer dressing up though, that’s just me. I recommend just do what you like. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Just back today from my Anthem cruise to Florida and Bahamas. I wore long dresses both formal nights. Most people were not dressed up. Some were just a little dressed up. I didn’t care, I looked fabulous. And I felt great and was happy we could all dress the way we liked to. We took some very nice pictures which we hardly ever do. I figured it might be one of the last times I’ll get that dressed up so why not. If everyone’s going super casual I may do the same going forward. I do prefer dressing up though, that’s just me. I recommend just do what you like. 

It would be nice if everyone had your attitude.

• Like 3