Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cruiser1949

Formal Attire

My husband and I will be going on an New England cruise in October.  I was wondering if woman wear long dresses or short dress for the formal nights,

15 minutes ago, cruiser1949 said:

My husband and I will be going on an New England cruise in October.  I was wondering if woman wear long dresses or short dress for the formal nights,

Few will wear either.

17 minutes ago, cruiser1949 said:

I see fewer and fewer long dresses except for long sun dresses. The women wearing long gowns generally look stunning but I see a fewer and fewer each cruise. We did a longer Canada and NE cruise this past summer (on grandeur) and I was surprised at how casual passengers dressed on formal nights. I wore a black cocktail dress or dress pants and a fancy top on formal nights. (Occasionally I pack a long black skirt rather than the dress slacks.) Many dressed much more  casually. 

Enjoy

m

You will see the full range of attire, from jeans to gowns. In my experience over the last few years, you will see more people dressed casually than you will see dressed formally.

Seen lot more pants, then Dresses on these New England  Late Fall Cruises. Done these Cruises last 7 out of last 8yrs

Edited by ONECRUISER

Formal nights are now Casual nights. Fewer and fewer people making an effort to dress up. You are likely to folks dressed up a bit sitting next to people in shorts (fewer shorts on the NE cruises).  You are on vacation and dress in manner that makes you comfortable. On our last Allure cruise (since it is easier to count gentlemen attire), in our section of the MDR on Formal Night, there were no gents in tuxes, you could count the number of suits and ties on 1 hand, a few sports coats, lots of polo shirts. 

I was on the Allure two weeks ago and saw four guys dressed in flannel shirts, bib overalls, work boots, wearing ball caps, most anything goes now days. 

9 hours ago, cruiser1949 said:

You cannot be over dressed on a cruise,  but lots of people have there own opinion of there rights to arrive for dinner in what ever ... My wife is in the Camilla zone at the moment, short or long and flowing very exotic.,  😘

I usually wear one long dress (gown, but not ballgown) and one short cocktail dress in a week. DH always wears a tuxedo.