So where is Quantum of the Seas heading now??

Bader

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's somewhat typical of cruise lines.  They seem to limit their responsibility to the cruise itself based on guests being local to the home port unless a package is booked including airfare from the cruise line.  When guests make their own travel arrangements guests assume responsibility for travel to or from the cruise port or so it seems.   At that point you are no different from someone living in the home port city.  

I was impacted by this myself when the crane fell on Oasis.  I had booked a round trip ticket that I used for the Symphony TA on the outbound and I was going to use the return ticket to come home after the Oasis TA.  Because I had used the outbound air ticket already I couldn't get any credit or use the second part of the air ticket for anything else.  I lost over $800 of ticket value on the return portion that I couldn't change to anything but a flight from Barcelona to the U.S.  There were no other TAs I could jump on to use the return air ticket by the date the airline established.

That's where travel insurance comes into play.  

Yes, luckily we weren't out of pocket as we had already decided not to travel to Singapore as we guessed what might happen. I think the reason people are angry is because Celebrity have given those cancelled on Millennium a 50% cruise credit as well as the refund and they are the same company in most people's eyes.

19 minutes ago, kernow said:

Yes, luckily we weren't out of pocket as we had already decided not to travel to Singapore as we guessed what might happen. I think the reason people are angry is because Celebrity have given those cancelled on Millennium a 50% cruise credit as well as the refund and they are the same company in most people's eyes.

Is Celebrity doing that for all cancelled cruises or just the first ones?  

I guess it's easier with 2,100 guests versus 4,500.  Human nature to always want more but at the same time RCCL is already issuing new guidance and estimating the CV impact to financial performance at $0.65 per share.  They estimate if they need to cancel all Asia cruises through April there will be another $0.55 per share impact.  

I get that people will always want more but this isn't their doing and they a business so I guess I can see both sides.  It's been a rough 12 months.  The Oasis crane, Cuba, Hurricane Dorian, Middle East tensions, COVID-19.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is Celebrity doing that for all cancelled cruises or just the first ones?  

We got 50% FCC for the Feb 15th, but the official cancellation email came on the 11th. I don't know about the other cruises, but I think they got only 25% for the Feb 29th.

5 hours ago, ssb said:

Yellow greenish Ship in middle of photo is Quantum 

CABA5ACD-7D88-450E-973E-A66C566927F4.png

Well she doesn't appear to be stopping at Port Klang despite what her destination info says.  Would you really go this way to LA though if the hint on the Royal App is correct? 

The frustrating thing is this ship is certainly on a mission so why can't they just tell us what the grand master plan is?  Are they delaying in the hope more people will cancel of their own accord so when the day of reckoning comes they have fewer refunds to provide?  If they are getting a steady stream of cancellations each day, that is how the financial minds would be working.  Over in the PR office, they might not be quite as happy with such a strategy!!  All we can do is speculate until they tell us what is really going on.

Publication2.jpg

Edited by Bader
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Maria63 said:

We got 50% FCC for the Feb 15th, but the official cancellation email came on the 11th. I don't know about the other cruises, but I think they got only 25% for the Feb 29th.

Exactly the same timings for the Quantum cruises but no FCC of any kind.

Thank you Bader for the information.  Yes, I agree - it is very frustrating : (

I've gone and had a look at the app and can see what is being mentioned about it suggesting they might be going to LA.

I know, I know - they've got a lot on their plate to organise but still....

I feel very much for people who have a cruise booked sooner than mine on 17 April.

I've just now gone ahead and booked a Singapore hotel (cancellable this time!!) for the 5n of our cruise so I have a back up plan if we need it.  We were already staying in 3 different hotels and I didn't want to make it a 4th one so I've booked the 5n at the Swissotel Stamford where we were staying 1n before boarding the cruise.

I've told my friend none of this yet.  This trip is celebrating her 50th - we are going with her 13yr old daughter and my 14yr old son.  She doesn't watch the news so she would be reasonably unaware of all this going on and they're had some family dramas of late including family members involved in a very serious accident so she's had a lot going on.

I'm just going to hold off telling her anything yet and wait and see and hope for some more info sooner rather than later!

I wonder if she is in fact going to LA but the long way through the Suez and Panama Canals i.e. across the Atlantic.  If they were to go the shorter and more logical route across the Pacific, perhaps that would have involved stopping in China/Hong Kong for supplies and fuel, which I presume they would wish to avoid?

1 minute ago, mugtech said:

Much more expensive to go through 2 canals, with no passengers one stop in Asia should provide plenty of provisions for the TP.

That is what I was wondering.  I thought I read it cost them about 1M to bring Spectrum thru the Suez.

I've got no idea of the running costs of the ship in general however - despite attending MANY Captain's Corner talks where they often talk about those things : )

2 hours ago, Bader said:

Well she doesn't appear to be stopping at Port Klang despite what her destination info says.  Would you really go this way to LA though if the hint on the Royal App is correct? 

The frustrating thing is this ship is certainly on a mission so why can't they just tell us what the grand master plan is?  Are they delaying in the hope more people will cancel of their own accord so when the day of reckoning comes they have fewer refunds to provide?  If they are getting a steady stream of cancellations each day, that is how the financial minds would be working.  Over in the PR office, they might not be quite as happy with such a strategy!!  All we can do is speculate until they tell us what is really going on.

Publication2.jpg

She is due in Port Klang tmr morning

Edited by WaveSplasher

20 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Moving out to California surely indicates a fairly long absence from the Far East,seems a heck of a long way to go to pass the time between a handful of cancelled cruises

or does it allow Spectrum to stay and cover Singapore / Australia and when the time is right start cruses again out of China?

Edited by Sail n Snow

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Interesting.  The Royal app has Quantum in Singapore on March 8 - 13 then Los Angeles on Mar 9 - 13 with Catalina Island listed as the next port.

March 8 - 12 Singapore  

March 9 - 13 Los Angeles next port Catalina

March 13 - 18 Singapore

March 16 - 20 Los Angeles next port Catalina

March 18 - 22 Singapore

March 20 - 23 Los Angeles next port Ensenada 

March 22 - 27 Singapore

March 23 - 27  Los Angeles next port Catalina

March 27 - 30 Singapore

March 30 - Apr 3  Los Angeles next port Catalina

Mar 31 - Apr 3 Singapore

Apr 3 - 6 Los Angeles next port Ensenada 

Bring a few RC ships to San Diego. We'd love to have them in Port 😁

Just now, Biker19 said:

From what info source? Marinetraffic still has no update.

Marine Traffic. If You look at the area around there, north of Port Klang there is this blue arrow which says, "Position received via satellite" Few hours ago, it was heading north and now is heading southwards. That blue arrow is actually Quantum Of The Seas. 

Even Cruise mapper shows Quantum heading back down southwards.

1 minute ago, WaveSplasher said:

Marine Traffic. If You look at the area around there, north of Port Klang there is this blue arrow which says, "Position received via satellite" Few hours ago, it was heading north and now is heading southwards.

Are you seeing something different than this:

image.png.ffbe035390c591b74e169a821f0ed27f.png