Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TowandaUK

Winemakers Dinner

Recommended Posts

I have seen mention of the winemakers dinner, but can’t seem to find any info on it. Has anybody done this?  Can you tell me about it?  Is it available on all boats, do you have to book onboard, what sort of menu and wines?  Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is available on Royal class ships (Royal, Regal; Itc).  When it was first introduced, Princess described it as

 

Wine Cellar – Diners can enjoy a private dining experience in a wine cellar inspired space. Surrounded by wine bottles, the circular area, which seats up to 12, offers a unique atmosphere for private functions and special celebrations. Wine cellar specialty menus have been developed in conjunction with noted winemakers, and are designed to specially pair with matching wines. Menu items include classic carved meats such as crown of veal rack, lamb Baron and veal rack a l’Orlov.

 

We did it a few years ago on the Royal Princess and it was the best specialty dinner from both food and value perspectives that we've ever had on Princess (and that includes 3 Chef's Tables) .  Sign up for it at passengers services or talk to your waiter or maitre'd as early in the cruise as possible if interested.  Sometimes Roll Calls also organize one for interested members.  I know there are 3 (IIRC) possible menus and that the Chef decides which one to offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did it last year on the Regal and in 20 cruises on Princess (including doing the Chef's Table) it was the absolute best dining experience ever. The steak I had was the best I've ever tasted, and I've dined in just about every high end steakhouse in Vegas. The service was stellar, attentive without being intrusive, the food imaginative and uniformly delicious, and with unlimited wine at a cost of only $40 per person it was about the best bargain we've ever seen on a ship. (We also tipped the waiter an additional $20 and the asst. waiter $10).  You have to seek out one of the head waiters or maitre d' in a dining room to sign up for it; it is not advertised and fills up quickly - there is seating for 16 around a large table in a private area off the main dining room, on the Regal at least. I do think it's offered on most ships. We plan to sign up as soon as we set foot in the Sky in three weeks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caribbean2000 said:

We did it last year on the Regal and in 20 cruises on Princess (including doing the Chef's Table) it was the absolute best dining experience ever. The steak I had was the best I've ever tasted, and I've dined in just about every high end steakhouse in Vegas. The service was stellar, attentive without being intrusive, the food imaginative and uniformly delicious, and with unlimited wine at a cost of only $40 per person it was about the best bargain we've ever seen on a ship. (We also tipped the waiter an additional $20 and the asst. waiter $10).  You have to seek out one of the head waiters or maitre d' in a dining room to sign up for it; it is not advertised and fills up quickly - there is seating for 16 around a large table in a private area off the main dining room, on the Regal at least. I do think it's offered on most ships. We plan to sign up as soon as we set foot in the Sky in three weeks!

 

We'll also be on the March 7th sailing and are thinking of doing this as well. Did you meet the Maitre'd when he is in the dining room taking special requests on embarkation day or did you wait until you were in the MDR for your main meal? I know for the Chef's Table you need to get on the list ASAP, I'm just wondering if it is the same for this dinner.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great experience but as said only available on Royal-Class ships & limited to 12 per dinner in a Wine Cellar & is not offered on every night.

 

7EF8EB1D-CD01-4705-AF6F-3EA8B76D86D4.jpeg

3F3870BE-DAD1-47F2-A377-7B71729C59AF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

I know for the Chef's Table you need to get on the list ASAP, I'm just wondering if it is the same for this dinner.


By calling the DINE line during embarkation we have had the WM Dinner on every Royal-Class cruise.  Like the CT participation is very limited so we call ASAP & would not wait until dinner to request it.

 

I’ve also read posts that some passengers were able to request it from a head waiter during the noon to 1:30 embarkation day lunch which is usually in one of the midship dining rooms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How small/large are the portion sizes.  I've recently had bariatric surgery and can only have small amounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

How small/large are the portion sizes.  I've recently had bariatric surgery and can only have small amounts.


Here are photos of the entree & dessert with other courses being a similar moderate size except for the gnocchi which you could either skip or request a smaller portion.

 

6C8407F1-A504-4504-9598-EF075E502CA4.jpeg

C64117AD-80C5-4320-B2BF-61A657FB7A24.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:


Here are photos of the entree & dessert with other courses being a similar moderate size except for the gnocchi which you could either skip or request a smaller portion.

 

 

Thank you for this. We did the Chef's Table once and because I am not naturally a big eater I just couldn't enjoy or do all those courses justice. I do appreciate good food and wine though and this dinner seems to fit the bill. The entree and dessert look delicious and at only $5 more than Bistro Sur La Mer it definitely seems like a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

 

Thank you for this. We did the Chef's Table once and because I am not naturally a big eater I just couldn't enjoy or do all those courses justice. I do appreciate good food and wine though and this dinner seems to fit the bill. The entree and dessert look delicious and at only $5 more than Bistro Sur La Mer it definitely seems like a bargain.


And the WM Dinner is only $11 more than the Crown Grill without any wine so the WM Dinner is a bargain. 🍷

 

My CG experiences in the past couple of years had inconsistent steak quality & service.  Like the several CT & UBD meals we’ve enjoyed, all 5 of our WM Dinners have had great food & service.  With the free-flowing wine everyone has a wonderful experience & leaves not as full as with the CT/UBD. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:


Here are photos of the entree & dessert with other courses being a similar moderate size except for the gnocchi which you could either skip or request a smaller portion.

 

6C8407F1-A504-4504-9598-EF075E502CA4.jpeg

C64117AD-80C5-4320-B2BF-61A657FB7A24.jpeg

That should work.   Thanks for the photographs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your replies. This is definitely something we would like to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

Thanks for all your replies. This is definitely something we would like to do. 

I'm sorry we didn't do it on our recent Caribbean cruise on the Sky.....😕

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

I'm sorry we didn't do it on our recent Caribbean cruise on the Sky.....😕

 

Bob

Bob - was it offered on the Sky? We are hoping to do it on our March 7 cruise but according to a post above it is only offered on Royal-class ships.

Gene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caribbean2000 said:

Bob - was it offered on the Sky? We are hoping to do it on our March 7 cruise but according to a post above it is only offered on Royal-class ships.

Gene

 

The Sky is a Royal Class ship. It should be offered. We are on the same sailing and hope to do it as well.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...