Advice please Penthouse Spa

Jayjay900

Used to sailing on Encore. Just put a hold on a Caribbean cruise for November in a Penthouse Spa Suite on Sojourn.

Can anyone advise if I should book a middle or end Suite? Told there are differences. Both still available to choose.

Thanks.

End Suites have a wrap around balcony and windows in two sides of the cabin.   The middle suites are also wonderful, large with huge balconies.   Be aware that there is no elevator to the four Spa Suite cabins.  The stairway is curved and a bit of a challenge especially in rough weather.   There is a chair lift, when it’s in use you can’t use the stairs.    It normally isn’t but a woman in a Spa cabin broke her ankle on board and that was the only way she could get to or from her cabin.

We had a spa suite on our last cruise, March 2019.  I loved it, but my wife didn't.  She hated the spiral staircase...hard to manage in heels and long dress. And she didn't like the "rear view only".  I thought that was silly, as the suites are huge and beautiful and a huge balcony. We had a middle suite, which was great. I saw an end suite...more glass,  as Covepoint cruiser says, but also more likely to move up and down as the ship rolls. The only problem with all of the spa suites, in my opinion, is that at the tail end of the ship you take the risk that if you get in bad weather, there will be a lot of ups and downs. We had really smooth sailing, but we had some motion one day, and wife said "never again". We have booked our next cruise, 30 days trans Pacific on Sojourn, and wife insisted that we get a regular balcony suite, low and midships. I would take a middle spa suite again in a heartbeat, but wifey won't. Hope this helps.  Have a great cruise!

Quick question: saw a Penthouse Spa Suite on Encore, it was actually larger than one of the Owners suites.  Just looked at spec for Sojourn - seems far smaller than suite on Encore. 
Anyone been in both? 
Prople who responded earlier - are your comments re the Sojourn type ship or the Encore?

Thanks

Encore and Ovation are reached by elevators. The spiral staircase point applies to the Odyssey class ships only. Also, they  seems narrower than those on the O ships: 5 are in place versus 4 on ships marginally wider than the O ships. But I do not have the specs.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I have been on PHSS  on both Soujourn/Quest Class and Ovation.  On the Sojourn/Quest they are very good sized.  There is the spiral staircase and no elevator so anyone with 

mobility issues would have a problem.  We have seen several people really struggle going up and down the stairs, particularly if it’s bumpy.  

Yes in bumpy weather you feel it and more so on the corners, but it doesn’t bother us.

We love the corners, but the two middles suites are larger and the balconies more protected from the wind.  Also don’t quite feel as much motion.  People we have met in the middles suites prefer for these reasons.  

We had a corner PHSS on Ovation and were quite disappointed.  It does not have the wrap around glass and in fact relatively small amount of window space considering the design of the room.  They also place the couch in a place where you can’t see out the window at all.  We moved it underneath the tv so we could see out the relatively small window and door.  Having said that the balcony is great and does wrap around, but when it’s really windy you can’t always use it.  If we were to have this category suite on Ovation or Encore again I think I’d go for the middle.   The one good thing is there is an elevator so no worries about the spiral staircase.  But again like the others you do still feel the motion of the ship.  So people who this bothers won’t like much.

i hope this is helpful!

We were on the Ovation in a corner penthouse spa suite. Lots of room and an excellent closet plus a window in the bedroom. However, I agree with the previous poster that the small amount of window and sliding door space in the living area is a disadvantage. Plus, you definitely rock and roll in rough weather. If I had it to do over again I would choose a regular penthouse on the lower decks, mid ship.