Lack of information from Azamara

sunlover33

For those living in "fear" of Corvid 19, here's a bit of perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/time-for-a-reality-check-america-the-flu-is-a-much-bigger-threat-than-coronavirus-for-now/2020/01/31/46a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

I know it's not going to help the situation as far as Azamara and others go because they have to toe the line. That is the reason for this thread and not to take away from it. But it might help  others who are worried and reading this.  

And I do have a horse in the race because I'm due to go to Taiwan soon. I will just see how it plays out. Having been through Singapore airport in the last week or so and with all the people wearing (ineffective for the most part) face masks you'd think it was the end of the world. Which it's not. Disappointed if my trip doesn't go ahead?  Yes.  Worried I've a good chance of becoming very ill and I'm going to die?  No. 

My opinion of course. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Worried I've a good chance of becoming very ill and I'm going to die?  No. 

I agree with you here, Phil.  However, my husband and I were on the Tahiti to Auckland cruise with you and, as you probably know, Azamara were denying boarding to passengers who had transited through Hong Kong to get to Auckland.  We too transited through a very deserted Hong Kong airport on our way home to the UK and we have decided to impose a 2 week quarantine on ourselves as a precaution.  We have had to cancel a number of appointments and meeting with friends but we thought this was the right thing to do because our friends (mainly in the 60+ bracket) were aware of our Hong Kong transit and the thought that we might bring them worry by meeting up with them and passing something on was not something we could live with.  Those same friends have all offered to help with getting us shopping and we're managing ok.  Two weeks self imposed quarantine is a small price to pay in these circumstances.  Being retired, this is easier for us to do than others and we appreciate that.

• Like 5

Hi Medeba.  No. I didn't know they had denied boarding to some. I got on in LA before it blew up. It's tough on a cruise ship because it's such a closed environment and it's obvious this coronavirus is very infectious. As shown by Diamond Princess.

I guess my point is that whilst I was really worried that I could have transited through Hong Kong and been exposed to a killer (as it happened I'd changed that a month before I left for better flight times thru Singapore), further reading that I've been able to do know I'm back and with a land trip to Taiwan in my future has shown that this has been hyped up by the media and the actions by China. 

I hope you enjoyed the cruise 😎

Phil 

14 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi chromered7, I understand you are worried but don’t be. There are still eight weeks until your ship’s departure. But that said, on Tuesday I’ll see when will be the next update to our Travel Advisory.

Thank you Bonnie-we are just anxious to know whether or not we will be on a rerouted or cancelled cruise. We have flights to Singapore and return from Dubai with a stopover in Zurich for a few days. We might consider doing a land trip of some sort if we have no cruise. It would just be helpful to know sooner rather than later as we might need to get a visa. My preference is still to do our original cruise however! I am looking forward to meeting what seems like a super group of folks on our roll call. Cheers all. Julie

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

For those living in "fear" of Corvid 19, here's a bit of perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/time-for-a-reality-check-america-the-flu-is-a-much-bigger-threat-than-coronavirus-for-now/2020/01/31/46a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

I know it's not going to help the situation as far as Azamara and others go because they have to toe the line. That is the reason for this thread and not to take away from it. But it might help  others who are worried and reading this.  

And I do have a horse in the race because I'm due to go to Taiwan soon. I will just see how it plays out. Having been through Singapore airport in the last week or so and with all the people wearing (ineffective for the most part) face masks you'd think it was the end of the world. Which it's not. Disappointed if my trip doesn't go ahead?  Yes.  Worried I've a good chance of becoming very ill and I'm going to die?  No. 

My opinion of course. 

Phil 

Hello Phil-cannot read the article as I am not a subscriber to the post but found this-https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/   It does lend a different perspective to the panic setting in. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bonnie for looking into this, even if AZ can’t make an informed decision yet, it would be much appreciated if they would give everyone on the Journey on March 24 disembarking in Singapore on April 11 and the next cruise to Dubai a TIMELINE of when they are going to make a decision.  Here’s my suggestion... perhaps AZ could offer early disembarkation with some compensation in the last Australian port  (getting off in Bali we would probably have to go back to Australia anyway)  if the ship intends to continue to Singapore or head directly to Dubai as the Celebrity Constellation just did, since there is no guarantee on a day to day basis it will be allowed to dock in Singapore once it gets there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2/17/2020

It is important to us to be as communicative as possible during this very fluid novel coronavirus situation.

We will be issuing communications to all guests sailing on the Azamara Journey March 24th and April 11th tomorrow with the latest updates as we continue to consult with local health authorities as well as the WHO and US CDC.

If you have specific questions, please reach out to your Travel Advisory immediately or contact us directly at 1-855-AZAMARA. 

it really bothers me that Azamara is not giving us more details   We are scheduled on the 4/11 cruise out of Singapore and probably will not be allowed...I read that India is not allowing people from Singapore or Thailand to land

As long time Azamara I am beyond disappointed....it was my favorite ship...we were on it when the fire happened and as a loyal past guest even nominated them for several awards  they won....and can you believe I have called every few days to see if they have made a decision and no response...the PR is awful    Why get a visa and air to not go>????? 

8 minutes ago, hamptonroads said:

it really bothers me that Azamara is not giving us more details   We are scheduled on the 4/11 cruise out of Singapore and probably will not be allowed...I read that India is not allowing people from Singapore or Thailand to land

As long time Azamara I am beyond disappointed....it was my favorite ship...we were on it when the fire happened and as a loyal past guest even nominated them for several awards  they won....and can you believe I have called every few days to see if they have made a decision and no response...the PR is awful    Why get a visa and air to not go>????? 

The Philippines is also considering not allowing people who have recently been to Singapore.  

Azamara is about ten days behind other lines in cancelling, but it sounds like they'll do the right thing tomorrow.

Coronavirus is 40 times deadlier than the flu, but they're saying they are three months away from a vaccine.  

1 hour ago, hamptonroads said:

Did you read Bonnie’s post??

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 1:24 PM, hkr1216 said:

I’m on the Singapore -Dubai cruise as well.  I have every confidence that Azamara will make the decision as soon as they can, and in the worst case scenario, will make things right for their guests.  I just had to buy a second ticket to Singapore, as my original one connected through Hong Kong.  It’s all very frustrating, but I have faith Azamara will resolve this situation (which is not their fault), as best they can.  Still almost two months to go.

Thank you for the positive vibes. We too booked a second flight because we were scheduled to arrive via Beijing. I hoping that Azamara can come through.

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

Coronavirus is 40 times deadlier than the flu, but they're saying they are three months away from a vaccine.  

Can you share a source for this? It’s very scary, but not the information I’ve read or can extrapolate from numbers I’ve seen regarding either mortality or a vaccine. If either are accurate, it’s a different picture than I’ve had.

Thanks, 

Melissa

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Melissaghoti said:

Can you share a source for this? It’s very scary, but not the information I’ve read or can extrapolate from numbers I’ve seen regarding either mortality or a vaccine. If either are accurate, it’s a different picture than I’ve had.

Thanks, 

Melissa

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/17/new-coronavirus-what-dont-we-know-dr-anthony-fauci-q-a-opinion/4790996002/

According to Fauci, Corona Virus is 10 times more deadly than flu  ( 2% vs. .1 or .2 %)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Melissaghoti said:

Thanks, 

Melissa

This is just the kind of hysteria and misinformation that is out there at the moment. I'm not sure how a death rate can be calculated when there is no reliable source of total confirmed cases. It's certainly has a death rate of 2% or less so you are much more likely to recover from it. Not to mention the age and underlying health of many of those who have died. 

Phil 

• Like 3

Thanks.

That’s more like what I’ve heard with the caveat that many cases are going unreported because they’re either very mild or testing to confirm wasn’t available, thus perhaps lower mortality. Also, hear that a vaccine is a year out, assuming the virus is still around when it becomes available. 
In any case, no fun for travelers to Asia!

M.

BONNIE,  

Just read this article...  Definitely should be a consideration in the discussion of where the Journey is going in April... 

Singapore Airlines to cut flights as coronavirus epidemic hits demand

3 MIN READ

•  
  •  

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines Ltd will temporarily cut flights across its global network in the three months to May, it said on Tuesday, as a coronavirus epidemic hits demand for services to the Asian city state, as well as through the key transit hub.

https://in.reuters.com/article/china-health-singapore-air-idINKBN20C0C9

4 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/17/new-coronavirus-what-dont-we-know-dr-anthony-fauci-q-a-opinion/4790996002/

According to Fauci, Corona Virus is 10 times more deadly than flu  ( 2% vs. .1 or .2 %)

Here is the source and it relates to this year in the USA. Look at the paragraph under Death Rate.  However, the 2% amount on coronavirus could drop.  There's too much unknown, and that's why nobody wants to take any chances.  It's not officially a pandemic, but it's on the brink.

But the biggest difference is that right now, there are vaccines for the flu and they are at least 3-4 months from coming up with a vaccine for the coronavirus.  In any case, I'd stay off of cruise ships in the region, for now.  Cruise ships are breeding grounds for spreading diseases like this one.  Azamara will either reach that conclusion in the next 24 hours or other countries will refuse docking of ships previously docked in Singapore.  Maybe the delay right now relates to Azamara figuring out plan B.

Edited by hubofhockey

2 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I had read .05% in the USA.  But the biggest difference is that right now, there are vaccines for the flu and they are at least 3-4 months from coming up with a vaccine for the coronavirus.  In any case, I'd stay off of cruise ships in the region, for now.  Cruise ships are breeding grounds for spreading diseases like this one.  Azamara will either reach that conclusion in the next 24 hours or other countries will refuse docking of ships previously docked in Singapore.  Maybe the delay right now relates to Azamara figuring out plan B.

I agree. Cruise ships are not the place to be when there is something going round. I've lost count of the number of times I've picked up colds on the ship and I sadly struggle when I get one. It always makes me feel rotten. Take after my father who was resilient to most things, but when he got a cold......

Thanks to uktog on this board I now take Vicks First Defence with me. First sign of a cold and it really seems to help and prevent development. Of course Corvid 19 is a very different infection and proposition. 

Phil 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I agree. Cruise ships are not the place to be when there is something going round. I've lost count of the number of times I've picked up colds on the ship and I sadly struggle when I get one. It always makes me feel rotten. Take after my father who was resilient to most things, but when he got a cold......

Thanks to uktog on this board I now take Vicks First Defence with me. First sign of a cold and it really seems to help and prevent development. Of course Corvid 19 is a very different infection and proposition. 

Phil 

I hope they figure out an alternative for your cruise and somehow pay the difference in flight and other travel plans.  You have to think that's what the delay is about.  I just don't think Azamara has harmed anyone here and they operate differently because ships don't constantly repeat itineraries.  It makes logistics more of a challenge.

45 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If your planning to travel to Japan make sure you leave it on board. Incredibly Vicks is on the banned list for many countries including Japan , strange when you can buy it in any supermarket in the U.K.! Maybe it has hidden properties for Corvid 19 too, but I’m not volunteering to test it. 

• Like 2

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-news-latest-princess-cruises-iglu-package-travel-regulations-a9331066.html

this is an interesting article with regard to cancellation, for U.K. residents who have booked cruises. It pays to know your rights before any changes are made. But I am really hoping this cruise continues as planned, only time will tell. 

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-news-latest-princess-cruises-iglu-package-travel-regulations-a9331066.html

this is an interesting article with regard to cancellation, for U.K. residents who have booked cruises. It pays to know your rights before any changes are made. But I am really hoping this cruise continues as planned, only time will tell. 

Great article and Simon Calder of the Independent is the one person I trust in terms of correctly interpreting legislation 

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

If your planning to travel to Japan make sure you leave it on board. Incredibly Vicks is on the banned list for many countries including Japan , strange when you can buy it in any supermarket in the U.K.! Maybe it has hidden properties for Corvid 19 too, but I’m not volunteering to test it. 

I think it's the decongestant agents that some Vicks products have (and others like Sudafed) which is the issue so I believe First Defence is ok. But yes, it can be a bit of a minefield. 

Phil 

• Like 1