PLEASE NCL TELL US - JADE CRUISE 27TH ????? IT IS GOING AHEAD OR NOT, GIVE US TIME TO MAKE ALTERNATE ARRANGEMENTS

GOTTODOIT

10 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@mugtech

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/singapore-port-10  will show the cruise liners expected in Singapore in February.

Note that the Jade is not there!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@mugtech

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/singapore-port-10  will show the cruise liners expected in Singapore in February.

Note that the Jade is not there!!!!!!!

Note that Quantum OTS is still listed, not happening.  Wonder how often this is updated.

I am due to sail on the 27th February and would like to know why the Jade was cancelled on the 17th February.  The 17th cruise was going for 10 days from Singapore back to Singapore,  So NCL has cancelled it as it might have been worried in case a passenger caught the virus and then the ship it would be in lock down like the Princess. The cruise leaving on the 27th has to get back to Europe for their summer season so it can’t be delayed for any reason.  At this stage it seems that NCL is more concerned about the dollars then their passengers health.

• Like 2

I assume that if YOU cancel, you will loose all your money.  I wouldn't think that any cancellation insurance will cover this virus--but maybe I'm wrong.  If THEY cancel, I assume that you will either get your money back, or a credit for another cruise.  I know that money isn't the issue, but.......

Edited by drsheryl

1 hour ago, Hendrikus1 said:

I am due to sail on the 27th February and would like to know why the Jade was cancelled on the 17th February.  The 17th cruise was going for 10 days from Singapore back to Singapore,  So NCL has cancelled it as it might have been worried in case a passenger caught the virus and then the ship it would be in lock down like the Princess. The cruise leaving on the 27th has to get back to Europe for their summer season so it can’t be delayed for any reason.  At this stage it seems that NCL is more concerned about the dollars then their passengers health.

I look at it differently. With the 10 day sailing cancelled, like other lines in the area, the ship is likely to undergo deep cleaning and sanitization during that period. If the 27th voyage does sail I would imagine there will be significantly enhanced screening prior to boarding as well. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, goodml said:

I look at it differently. With the 10 day sailing cancelled, like other lines in the area, the ship is likely to undergo deep cleaning and sanitization during that period. If the 27th voyage does sail I would imagine there will be significantly enhanced screening prior to boarding as well. 

Right, the problem is that NCL can't control external factors, such as contracting the virus in a port of call, in the homeport of Singapore, or an airport en route to the ship. Symptoms can take days to present themselves.

Therefore, NCL can force their crew to deep clean the ship for days, but that won't prevent someone from boarding ill. Ditto with screening in Singapore. Not everyone with a fever has Coronavirus and not every one that registers a normal temperature is healthy. Their medical screening doesn't really ensure people with the virus don't sail, so don't be fooled by that.

Looks like Jade has departed Singapore and is currently en route to Malaysia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsheryl said:

I assume that if YOU cancel, you will loose all your money.  I wouldn't think that any cancellation insurance will cover this virus--but maybe I'm wrong.  If THEY cancel, I assume that you will either get your money back, or a credit for another cruise.  I know that money isn't the issue, but.......

I think that is true. There are some reports of passengers that cancelled their Jade 17th cruise prior to NCL getting around to cancelling. Of course, those passengers are appealing to NCL for refunds, but expectedly, NCL is refusing, stating the passenger cancelled.

So, this may explain part of NCLs delayed communication strategy. If you find yourself with no insurance or inadequate insurance, it may be advisable to do nothing until NCL makes an announcement. You can be a no show at the port and still get your port fees back.

My heart goes out to all those booked on the 27 Feb sailing of the Norwegian Jade. My wife and I were booked on the 17 Feb sailing, and along with other forum members I began a social media and press campaign to get NCL to cancel and refund our cruise.

Although I wrote directly to several NCL addresses (including kbyrd@ncl.com, Astuart@ncl.com, hsommer@ncl.com, sdeaton@nclcorp.com, PublicRelations@ncl.com, jleung@nclcorp.com, jrose@ncl.com), the few who answered me were not helpful, and I suspect the bad press they got also had little effect on their decision.

It was only after the Jade was barred from entering ports in Vietnam (and perhaps dissuaded from further stops in Thailand) that NCL finally threw in the towel, cancelling the 17 Feb sailing.

So, will they also cancel the 27 Feb sailing? Given their past bahavior, I bet they won't cancel... unless the planned ports on that sailing also refuse to accept them.

I mean, look at it from the point of view of ports between Singapore and Dubai: here is a ship that has been all over Southeast Asia in recent weeks, that most recently docked in Singapore where there are also a number of local transmission cases of COVID-19 coronavirus, and now plans to carry passengers and a floating petri dish into their own waters. If you were in charge of some of those ports of call, what would you decide?

NCL is probably going to spend the next 10 days giving the Jade a clean bill of health - sterilizing the entire ship, switching out crewmembers and getting a note from their mommy saying that they've been good little boys and girls. Unless the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic continues to spread and cause enough alarm to prevent sailing out of Singapore at all, I feel fairly confident in the belief that they will maintain the 27 Feb sailing as is. Business as usual.

Should you cancel? Statistically speaking, you probably are at little risk from the virus, even though it might be hard to relax knowing everything that's been going on. NCL could change their port of departure from Singapore to somewhere with less contact to the pandemic than Singapore, like Port Klang, Malaysia, where the ship is now. IMHO, that is the most likely scenario. Only you can decide what you want to do.

If you need help waging a press campaign, I can help put you in touch with Ron Hurtibise at the Miami Sun Sentinel. He wrote a nice article about the situation, though it only came together after NCL finally caved. Here it is, if you're interested:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-coronavirus-spawns-dilemma-for-planned-asia-cruisers-20200213-oh4medemiva2hjsn74homcr4vq-story.html

Good luck!

Edited by PhilBenz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you PhilBenz for your input on this. I do believe that the feb 27th sailing will bring the ship out of Asia, which is exactly what NCL needs now. Maybe they will offer a more generous cancellation policy due to public pressure, but the sailing will probably go on, just to reposition the ship to Europe for spring/summer season. Even if many people cancel, they can still make some money instead of just repositioning an empty ship. 

I'm not worried by the risks of getting infected. Their screening policy is pretty strict. If ever a carrier got on the ship, it would be very bad press for them, so they better do everything they can to prevent that. I bet they will check all passports thoroughly for stamps, check temperatures many times, etc. 

I'm wanting to join the Feb 27th sailing, just waiting a few more days. If no cancellation then, I will buy the airfares and book the cruise. 

Cheers all,

Jacques

Totally agree with you Jacques. With the ship now headed for Malaysia, there is no doubt in my mind she will come back to Singapore for the 27th sailing which we are booked on. Even if some of our Arabic friends decide to forbid entry to their ports I would not mind to continue the cruise onto Europe at NCL’s expense! Hehe...

4 hours ago, jacquesrules said:

... Even if many people cancel, they can still make some money instead of just repositioning an empty ship. 

I'm not worried by the risks of getting infected. Their screening policy is pretty strict.

If ever a carrier got on the ship, it would be very bad press for them, so they better do everything they can to prevent that.

I bet they will check all passports thoroughly for stamps, check temperatures many times, etc. 

Full disclosure, first, for the records - we own stocks & investments, including NCLH.  It is clear, simple & obvious what NCLH corporate priorities are - we understood but disagree with how it is being handled vis-a-vis other cruise lines, not that some of them are managing it perfectly.  

Lots of unknown about this newly identifiy COVID-19 and medical experts at mainland China, warning & cautioning that the silent incubination period can be as much as 3 weeks to 25 days, thus, the 14 day isolation/quarantine guidelines issued by WHO isn't necessary adequate, which WHO acknowledged.  

IMHO, the screening policy in use by NCL now isn't adequate, not inclusive/exclusive enough to stop secondary infection by "silent" carriers - as the infected person(s) himself/herself might be absolutely unaware of transferring & transmitting the virus, passing it along to others.  Just take a look at the Diamond Princess's new daily headcounts.  NCL's temperature screening isn't going to identify and eliminate 97.5% of the risks for having an infected person onboard the ship, its aim is to minimize but falling short of stopping the risk at 99%.  

Doing that in combination with the ability to verify and cross-check databases for recent travel history, possibly even contact tracing - would be better - to see whether the passengers (and crew) might've been in the vicinity of and in contact with other infected persons - there is NOT a universal or worldwide database to reference & clear the cruisers for embarkation & disembarkation.  Some of the confirmed patients had mild symptoms or no symptoms for days; and, most of them are able to make a full recovery. 

The risk for the Jade's Feb. 27th sailing to be quarantined and passengers put into isolation cannot be ruled out and easily predicted, maybe the same odds as getting the seasonal influenza or norovirus while traveling or onboard - all with similar symptoms; and, a diagnosis cannot be reassured on the basis of a quick non-touch IR tempearture scanning (it can be "defeated" or hidden by taking the common OTC cold/flu medication).  I can visualize long & slow screening lines and hours at the cruise terminal to get checked in for boarding.  

From a risk management standpoint, best of luck for a safe, happy & healthy cruise.  My advice, make sure you get an excellent travel insurance policy with CFAR coverage, including pandemic outbreak ... packing personal medications, OTC as well as prescribed one, an extra 30 days supply plus extra prescriptions for refills.  Make sure your immunization and booster shots, including influenza & pneumonia and MMR, etc. are current & up-to-date.  

We're seriously considering last minute booking on the Jade about 5 or 6 weeks ago but it is not a worthwhile bargain by any means.  

Edited by mking8288

It's  a shame that profits, stockholders and bad press supersede common sense.

Let this be a lesson to all that your only worth is the final payment date.

Unbelievably even the airlines handled this unfortunate situation better.

Hope all works out for the OP.

Edited by NJGeorge
  • Like 1

Jade is now mourning but not docked near Port Klang. Next destination shows-up as Singapore on Feb 25. Seems like this cruise is still on for the 27th unless some international body makes Singapore a locked down port.

7 minutes ago, Ldldl said:

Jade is now mourning but not docked near Port Klang. Next destination shows-up as Singapore on Feb 25. Seems like this cruise is still on for the 27th unless some international body makes Singapore a locked down port.

Probably not "mourning", but maybe "moored".

This is consistent with prior NCL behavior. Say all the right things...you are concerned about safety, you are monitoring things, but operate at ANY cost in the name of $$$$. Force people into Singapore as cases continue to increase slightly and airlines slash flights to Singapore due to lack of demand stemming from concerns about the virus. Only cancel when a government prudently steps in

forces them to cease their careless actions.

Yes, this is Norwegian Cruise Lines.