Thoughts on Lanai Stateroom on Amsterdam

Cruzinnana47

Looking into possibly booking a cruise  on the Amsterdam in 2021 from Montreal to Boston and considering the Lanai stateroom category.  This would be our 1st Holland America sailing.  Would appreciate pros/cons from those who have stayed in these cabins and on this ship in particular.

TIA!

2 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Looking into possibly booking a cruise  on the Amsterdam in 2021 from Montreal to Boston and considering the Lanai stateroom category.  This would be our 1st Holland America sailing.  Would appreciate pros/cons from those who have stayed in these cabins and on this ship in particular.

TIA!

Loved it! And we would definitely book another. Last summer we had cabin 3335 for our Alaska cruise. It was a perfect cabin location for us. The cabins were recently refurbished, and the bathrooms are beautiful (glass shower doors). The sliding glass door to the promenade deck is quite heavy, and you do need to carry a special key card with you to get back in your door. I can't think of anything negative about our lanai cabin. You won't regret booking one.

We've had them on the Maasdam and Veendam, several times.  They are nice, especially in bad weather.  You can still look out at the view while reading on your couch.  I don't consider them cramped since we take them on long voyages.  Just be careful that you don't book them under a kitchen galley.  You'll be awake all night.  Study your floor plan above you before booking.

Thanks for the feedback.  We generally book balcony (or mini-suite) cabins, but thought the Lanai would be a different experience for us.   Especially since we love walking on the promenade deck (on whatever ship we sail), and this location would be handy,  The Montreal to Boston itinerary is especially appealing as we'd be sailing up the St. Lawrence seaway, out and over to the Canadian Maritimes then back close to home.

Imagine you need to be careful at night and make sure the drapes are closed, however. 😉 

we had lanais on Veendam and Masdam and really liked the easy access to,the promenade deck. Even though the deck chairs were marked for the lanai cabins, there were times when people were sitting in those chairs and we had to politely point out that they were reserved. I would book a lanai again but my last cabin was a suite and I think I’m spoiled now.

3 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Imagine you need to be careful at night and make sure the drapes are closed, however. 😉 

We have had 2 cruises on the Rotterdam in Lanai cabins.   The only reason you need to keep your curtains closed is because the Promenade deck is lighted all night and the light may keep you awake.   You cannot see in from the outside.   We tested it on our first cruise in a Lanai.  With all cabin lights turned on at night, I went outside and looked in.  All I could see was a reflection of myself due to the mirror coating on the glass door.   I actually pressed my nose to the glass, and I could only see the ceiling lights glowing, and when DW walked through the cabin, I saw a silhouette.   Use the men's pants hangers from the closet to clip the curtains together so the light doesn't keep you awake.

The door is heavy because it is very thick glass.   They use a magnetic lock to keep the door locked.  From the inside, you press a white button to release the magnet that holds the door closed.  You have about 3 seconds to slide the door open, or it will re-lock.  From the outside, you use a separate proximity swipe card held against a module to release the lock.  You get 2 of these cards, and do not lose them.  They are not labeled for your cabin,  and if they are lost, I'm sure HAL will charge your account for a replacement. 

The promenade deck cabins - which often bracket lanai cabins - are the only ones we book but, and this is a big but (hahaha), you really need to be 100% sure what is above you. Best way to do that is to use the nifty tool on cruise deck plans dot com which allows you to see what is above and below specific cabins. We have never seen the value of lanai cabins vs its near or adjacent neighbor (except for big glass door and bed position).

The cruise you are considering was very nice...we were on the Maasdam from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale and loved being able to zip in and out of cabin onto promenade deck in mere moments.