Serenity Guarantee Categories (OG, VG and PG)

BeachTunes

Hello! 

We are booked on a Rome to Barcelona sailing on the Serenity this summer and I just noticed that three booking categories have been added: Deluxe Guarantee (OG), Veranda Guarantee (VG) and Suite Guarantee (PG). We are currently booked in a C3 Oceanview Guarantee and at first glance, it appears that we could book the VG Verandah Guarantee category for just $50 more per person for our sailing! Seems almost too good to be true!

Does anyone have any specific details about these categories? They were not available when we booked in January. Are these what are considered to be "Flex Fares"? I recall reading some threads last year that these guarantee rooms won't be assigned until guests arrive at the pier. No problem for us! As mentioned we are currently booked in the lowest oceanview GTY category anyway, so it seems like a great opportunity to upgrade to a balcony! The only hurdle I see at the present is that when I do a mock booking on Crystal's website, our Crystal Society credits aren't being applied which seems strange. This sailing is one of the 30th anniversary cruises so we should be receiving a 5% Crystal Society member discount. 

I just emailed my travel agent and look forward to hearing from her. In the meantime, if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated! Thanks so much! 

Edited by BeachTunes

I’ve posted something similar in another thread. We were in a similar position on another Med itinerary this summer, as we had also booked an OV category but noticed that Crystal yesterday introduced a VG option for only $100 more. The challenge however was that our crystal society savings won’t stick, and our agent contacted crystal to confirm- they won’t combine society savings with this VG promo for whatever reason. In the end it’s about a $300 jump per person for VG but we’re still going to do it. On board credits are still applicable. 
Regarding cabin assignment, crystal on our last sailing assigned our cabin 2 weeks prior on the nose. We received a double upgrade (which didn’t seem like anything meaningful as it was still forward, but on a higher deck). I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the Verandah state rooms over an OV. 
Let me know if you hear otherwise re the society savings in combination with the VG sale. 

Thank you thebigcruiseguy! Your input is helpful and explains why I wasn't seeing the Society savings on the mock booking. 

I just searched Crystal Flex Fare online and came up with this link which also confirms your point about the offer not being combinable with other discounts: https://www.crystalcruises.com/special-offers/crystal-flex-fares

I'll keep you posted when I hear back from my travel agent. Like your situation, it's looking like the jump to the VG category is about $300 per person if our Society savings and onboard discounts are not allowed to be applied. An assigned verandah on this sailing is at least $1000 more per person so either way, the Flex Fare is pretty good deal. 

Now if only our abysmal Canadian dollar would increase in value before final payment! 😉

1 minute ago, thebigcruiseguy said:

Yes please let me know! Hoping you at least received some decent on board credits via your TA- you should have 🙂

Best of luck with the exchange rate!

Thank you! It's a holiday weekend here in Ontario, Canada so I'll likely hear back on Tuesday. And yes, our TA has offered us some generous OBCs! 🙂

Since you also asked about PG (Penthouse Guarantee), I would like to chime in that we did this two months ago in Serenity and were quite pleased.  However, on last May's cruise, we did an assigned PH and were better pleased with the vanity configuration.  Just to say that, if ever considering a PH guarantee, the vanity may, or may not be, important to you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Since you also asked about PG (Penthouse Guarantee), I would like to chime in that we did this two months ago in Serenity and were quite pleased.  However, on last May's cruise, we did an assigned PH and were better pleased with the vanity configuration.  Just to say that, if ever considering a PH guarantee, the vanity may, or may not be, important to you.

You make a good point! Room configurations within the PH category do vary. We haven't stayed in one but I've looked at the floor plans and have read many reviews. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

58 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

We booked one of these on our last cruise. Cabin was assigned well before sailing (not assured, of course) and pricing was great, even after losing society and on-board discounts. We were happy bunnies !

My friend and I booked one of those flex fares on our recent Esprit cruise.  We had to pay in full at the time of booking (7 months out in our case) but received our room assignments almost 3 months prior to sailing.   We were also told that those voyages don’t count toward your CS rewards too but I haven’t checked whether it has or hasn’t - no big deal in our case as we’re not likely to reach any significant milestones!!!!

Anne...

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 2:46 PM, BeachTunes said:

You make a good point! Room configurations within the PH category do vary. We haven't stayed in one but I've looked at the floor plans and have read many reviews. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I  thought I would add some input  about the PH should you go this route.

The PH category on Serenity  is our favorite of the suite (PH and  PS categories on Serenity and a favorite of the Symphony PH).

We think they make excellent use of the space such as the cabinets main room.  Something we really like and  is a plus over the other suites is the two desks which have great size counter tops, some storage a great makeup area for my wife to use  and are across from one another so we can use maximize the electrical outlets.

All of the layouts should be the same with one exception and that are the PH's created several years ago by combining some of the standard rooms on Deck 10 to create additional PH's.  This is not to be confused with a similar approach in the 2018 dry dock which created the new Seabreeze equivalents to the PH and a couple to the PS.  There might be a little difference but overall very similar.

Good luck with all of this and most importantly the cruise.

Best to  you.

Keith 

• Like 1

Just to supply a little more detail on Keith's description, the PH 1103, for example, has the vanity positioned in front of a corner of the bed, leaving hardly any space to sit in the stool, and - even if you only stand to do your make up/hair - your room partner cannot pass to the bathroom.  Otherwise the suite is perfect!  .....I only share this tidbit for women who would spend some time using the vanity....  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Just to supply a little more detail on Keith's description, the PH 1103, for example, has the vanity positioned in front of a corner of the bed, leaving hardly any space to sit in the stool, and - even if you only stand to do your make up/hair - your room partner cannot pass to the bathroom.  Otherwise the suite is perfect!  .....I only share this tidbit for women who would spend some time using the vanity....  

Just wanted to  be sure  we are all talking about the same category.

On  Serenity it would be 11003 and if I am right that  is a PS.

I was  talking PH and  I prefer PH over Serenity PS.

Keith

On 2/17/2020 at 1:28 PM, Camillus112 said:

Yes, Keith, it was 11003 and, sorry, I was unaware of the difference between PH and PS.  I agree that PH is preferable in Serenity.

Camillus, I  have  the same  view of  the desk in the PS as  you do.   The makeup one  is  not very deep  which is one  of the reasons  we like the  PH.  I do  like the extra living room space in the PS but  we  find  that overall we prefer the PH and for us a  better value.   

Keith

On 2/17/2020 at 11:55 AM, Jayayeff said:

My friend and I booked one of those flex fares on our recent Esprit cruise.  We had to pay in full at the time of booking (7 months out in our case) but received our room assignments almost 3 months prior to sailing.   We were also told that those voyages don’t count toward your CS rewards too but I haven’t checked whether it has or hasn’t - no big deal in our case as we’re not likely to reach any significant milestones!!!!

Anne...

Anne

I had a look at the website and the good news is that I believe that these bookings DO accrue milestone credits.

Colin

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your input about these categories. 

We went ahead today and upgraded from a C3 GTY to the new Flex Fare Verandah GTY (Category VG). As speculated, the offer was not combinable with our Society Savings or the Onboard Booking Discount. Even without those applied, upgrading was only about $300 more per person so it was a no brainer! Another perk to note is that Crystal is still honouring the $100 per person downpayment with final payment 90 days prior to embarkation for this sailing. Since we were initially booked in Serenity's lowest oceanview guarantee category we will definitely be pleased with wherever our balcony room is assigned. 

That said, to anyone with a future sailing in a Serenity oceanview stateroom, fear not! Our first Crystal cruise was on Deck 7 and the cabin and service was just as fabulous as when we were in A1 and P1 rooms in decks 9 and 10. Being on deck 7 puts you closer to the specialty restaurants, The Cove and Avenue, Waterside, The Bistro, many entertainment venues and more. And, the balcony and oceanview rooms are identical in size and layout on the interior.

While we'd have been happy being assigned to a C3, we are thrilled about having a verandah to look forward to on this Med cruise which happens to commence on our wedding anniversary date! 🥰

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 2