20 days in Drydock in November What is happening to QM2?

Bigmike911

I noticed looking at the schedule for 2020 that Queen Mary 2 will spend 20 days in dry dock in November in Hamburg. Has Cunard announced what will be done to Queen Mary 2 at that time? It will be interesting to find out what is planned for November. 

Edited by Bigmike911

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I don't think Cunard has made any formal announcements yet about QM2's 2020 refit. Some prior discussion about it can be found here.

Thanks for pointing me to that topic Blue Marble. It is much appreciated. 

• 1 year later...

Hello

When I was last on the ship in February 2020, I was told by a couple of MDs that both the Queens Grill and Princess Grill are going to be extended out so as to make them roomier.  How far out they did not know.  Of course, that would take deck space away from deck 7.  Who knows!!!

Deck Chair.

6 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hello

When I was last on the ship in February 2020, I was told by a couple of MDs that both the Queens Grill and Princess Grill are going to be extended out so as to make them roomier.  How far out they did not know.  Of course, that would take deck space away from deck 7.  Who knows!!!

Deck Chair.

The drydock never happened, so perhaps those requirements have all been extended due to the ships bring laid up. 

The deck area immediately aft of the Grills on QM2 was most recently the smokers' leper colony.  That area would have to be relocated should the restaurants be extended.   The last thing I would want to see is QM2's 360 wrap around promenade deck disrupted.   (Lack thereof is a major complaint here about the expected design of Cunard's under-construction 4th ship.)

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, transatlantic fan said:

Must be due for an announcement soon, as I believe the refit needs to be carried out before it returns to service.

There was a comment made in the chat earlier today during the Solent Ships YouTube commentary of QM2's departure from Southampton stating "qm2 due for refit in September".

I don't know if that just meant QM2 is in need of a drydock (as we know) or if that commenter knew QM2 is actually scheduled for a drydock in September. Just passing along that tidbit as a bit of a tease I'm afraid since I don't know anything further about it firsthand. That timing does make sense though.

I watched the Queen Mary 2 today as she left Southampton on the You Tube Solent Ships Channel. There were a number of close ups and you can clearly see Queen Mary 2 is in sore need of a repaint.  Even to the waterline, so that suggests a dry dock stay. 

On 6/25/2021 at 10:49 PM, transatlantic fan said:

September would make sense, before she starts again.

In November 2019 I spoke to Captain Wells, who told me she  is also having her big half life dry dock sometime in 2023, and will be out of service for 3 months.

someone who claims to know on a FB group said she is going to Brest Sept 6th

looking at Southampton cruise schedule she is in on 20th August and does not reappear until mid November

• Thanks 1