Pisa-Is climbing the tower a must do? (Time being a factor)

Travel To Be Free

My husband and I have been to Pisa as a short stop on a land tour and just did photos, no climb of tower.   We will be in LaSpezia for a cruise stop with family.   They want to see the leaning Tower of Pisa, as so famous.  However, we are also trying to fit in PortoVenere and a short private boat excursion of the Cinque Terre.  

if we get a 9 o’clock tower entrance to do the climb, how long does it take to go up AND down and see the Cathedral, which opens at 10?

As we dock at 6:30, we could be at Pisa by 7:30, get the famous pictures and be on our way at 8:30.  If we wait until the tower opens at 9, we won’t be on our way until 10:30.  This 2 hours would give us more time in the CT.  

Any thoughts as to the importance of climbing the tower?

My opinion, for what it's worth -- why take the time out of your busy program to go to Pisa just to get a photo? It does not look any different from hundreds of other photos on the internet -- just grab one of those.

I mean, what does it prove?  You were there for 15 minutes?  You saw it with your own eyes?  

If I'm going to a place, I want to experience it. In Pisa, I'd want to climb the tower, see the cathedral and baptistery. Otherwise, what do you say when you show people the pic???  

Pisa is not a great favorite of mine -- I climbed the tower as a kid (14 or 15) and it was an interesting experience but not high on my list. On the other hand, I just went back with my son (mid 20s) and he found climbing the tower to be one of the highlights of our 10 day trip to Florence and Venice -- so there you go.

So I guess my vote would be to either skip it or do the thing properly and climb the tower.

• Like 1

We did a day trip to Pisa a few years ago from Florence.  We spent several hours climbing the tower and visiting the Cathedral, Baptistery & Camposanto.  I do not think an hour would be sufficient unless you just want to check a box to say you were there.

I climbed the tower not too long after it was re-opened to the public a few years ago, and it meant a lot to me.  I liked knowing that my feet were walking on the same steps that Galileo had walked on.  The Baptistry is a best-kept secret, too.  Many of the guards will sing in there during the day, and the way it’s constructed, they can sing in several-part harmony with themselves.  It’s fascinating.  The Jewish cemetery is also well worth a visit.  

I agree with cruisemom.  If all you’re going to Pisa for is a cheesy photo, make better use of your time somewhere else.