Escargot - New Presentation in MDR

evandbob

I'm used to getting escargot cooked in oil, garlic and maybe butter, and plated in a dish that has 7 spaces for each one.  I finish it off by dipping bread into the left over liquid.

On the Conquest last week, the snails were placed 3 on some type of bread, almost looked like they were prepared in an omelet type mixture.  Whlie they were tender, it seemed like they were missing that garlicky oil flavor.  And there was one less snail.

Our server said they began this 2 weeks ago, and she wasn't sure if it was being rolled out just on the Conquest or being instituted fleet wide.  Any other recent cruisers notice this change?

5 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

I just had this on the Conquest this week.... and it was not great.  Bread was soggy and escargot, which I normally love, tasted overwhelmed by garlic and onions.  Total disappointment.  

Hmmmm.....those are things I like most about escargot....soggy bread....with lots of garlic and onions masking the taste of actual snails.   This might turn into a WIN for me LOL!  

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

I just had this on the Conquest this week.... and it was not great.  Bread was soggy and escargot, which I normally love, tasted overwhelmed by garlic and onions.  Total disappointment.  

ditto here, just off the freedom

7 hours ago, schazzy said:

This was posted by CC's favorite brand ambassador recently.

82921635_3723407114368489_3637796652141510656_n.thumb.jpg.ef623b824558c1a2d2bfd82d06cdb132.jpg 

Yich! Unless they get that to you immediately it looks like it will congeal rather quickly.  Definitely liked the "old" way - even if it was swimming in garlic and oil, which was  so good to dip bread into!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, schazzy said:

(Picture Removed) 

Well that does not look appealing.  It looks like a broken sauce or something.

Anyway, even BAD Escargots is better than the NONE Escargots that we had on the Victory in December.

• Like 1

Damn one more of my favorite gone it looks like 😞

I'm not one of those boomers who hates on Gen X/Millennial/Zoomer folks but I'm blaming them for this one. Escargot is one of the most delicious foods that we've been given by God and I only see people my age or older and the occasional young boy (always boys) ordering them. This preparation reminds me of the flatbread pizza trend you see everywhere. Good but not great. 

Edited by lottiegreen56

14 hours ago, schazzy said:

82921635_3723407114368489_3637796652141510656_n.thumb.jpg.ef623b824558c1a2d2bfd82d06cdb132.jpg 

Thanks, that was exactly how my snails looked on the Conquest last week.  Some type of eggy concoction around the little critters.

I do prefer the previous preparation in garlic and oil.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:37 PM, bury me at sea said:

Sounds like a couple of steps down.  Did either of you enjoy them as much as the previous incarnation?

Reduction of garlic is a step down? Geesh. It's just a change.  Restaurants change recipes and offerings. Why would a ship be any different? 

On 2/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, lottiegreen56 said:

Damn one more of my favorite gone it looks like 😞

I'm not one of those boomers who hates on Gen X/Millennial/Zoomer folks but I'm blaming them for this one. Escargot is one of the most delicious foods that we've been given by God and I only see people my age or older and the occasional young boy (always boys) ordering them. This preparation reminds me of the flatbread pizza trend you see everywhere. Good but not great. 

I'm a female born in 1973 and enjoy escargot (at least the old way).  While my son did try them, so did my daughter - I think we split an order though so you might be right that she didn't order.  I don't view it as just a boomer food.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, MisterOJ2 said:

I will look forward to this on my next cruise. While I liked the previous version of escargot just fine, I think having a bit of bread served with the dish could make it even better.

Whenever I ordered the old previous method, I always got a diagonal cut toasted slice of french bread with the snails. I used that plus some softer bread from the basket on the table to soak up the leftover garlic and oil juice.

• Like 1