Cruise Critic Community
mojomanny

Rhapsody - Tampa - The Key - and More!

These comments and notes come from my Cruise on Rhapsody on February 1, 2020.  We were using the Key for the trip

Check-in 

We arrived at 10:15 and there were no lines to get through check-in. As you enter the building, Suites and Pinnacles go left, Key and Crown and Anchor have lines by status in the middle and first timers go right.

Note: Make sure they know you are Key or they will shuffle you in with other people.

We checked in in under five minutes and were funneled to the seats.  This is where the terminal staff dropped the ball. They did not have a person at the end of the queue to tell you where to go.  Since there was no one right there, people went where they shouldn’t and we were originally sent to the Gold C&A chairs until I asked the person there and he said we belonged elsewhere.  Once we got in the Key seating area we noticed many others sitting in places they didn’t belong. 

We were called an able to get on-board about 10:45

The Key

We were able to get the Key for about $21 ($3 a day) each over the cost of Voom Streaming service.  On this voyage we used the following advantages:

• Leave our carry-on bags at theatre

• the Early boarding, right after Suites and Pinnacles

• Chops style luncheon in the dining room

• Priority Tender in Grand Cayman

• Departure breakfast in dining room

• Walk Off Departure

There were a couple of unexpected bonuses:  One day we got a key shaped chocolate in our cabin and another evening we received a fresh fruit plate (apple, pear, banana, kiwi, orange).  They were nice little surprises!

The lunch and breakfast were nice, it was nice to be more relaxed when others were scrambling about in the Windjammer or lined up waiting for their number to be called.

One disappointment was that our bags were not in our staterooms when we were able to access them. I thought they would be, this was purely a presumption or expectation on my part since nothing in writing said they would be.

We did not use the priority seating, I didn’t want to have to get a show twenty minutes early to get a “good” seat.  On Rhapsody the seating area is on Deck 6 on the right side of the theatre.

Based on this cost difference, I would do the Key again.  If I didn’t need internet or there was a much larger price difference I would have to think hard about it.

The Bridge

One of the early highlights of the cruise is going under a bridge that the ship clears by 8 or 9 feet.  On our trip this happened at about 6:30. We did tell our tablemates and table servers that we were going to leave for it and come back to finish the meal which they were all fine with.

Please note that they will announce that the bridge is coming, giving you 10-15 minutes notice and more than enough time to get to the upper decks to watch

Dining Room Special Requests
On the first night of the cruise I requested Savory Bites and we had them every night thereafter. 

Our tablemates were hoping to get Bread Pudding one night and asked the waiter for it.  They were served it one night.

Conclusion

This was a good cruise, we had a lot of fun and can't wait for our next.

In fact, it was one couples first cruise and they were ready to book another before we even left the port in Tampa!

As far as $3 more per person per day over Voom surf & strem you are way off.  A 2 device package is only $23.99/day max.  

so you paid $17 dollars a day total for two over that.  Everyone seems to use a 1 device package price to justify the Key.

at any rate it is what it is and some will say it is a great value and others will say you are a sucker.  Only you know if it was worth it to you.

3 minutes ago, later said:

As far as $3 more per person per day over Voom surf & strem you are way off.  A 2 device package is only $23.99/day max.  

so you paid $17 dollars a day total for two over that.  Everyone seems to use a 1 device package price to justify the Key.

at any rate it is what it is and some will say it is a great value and others will say you are a sucker.  Only you know if it was worth it to you.

I purchased it on sale for $15.99/day when Voom Stream and Surf as on sale for $12.99/day which is a difference of $3/day or $21 in total for me (I was traveling solo), my companions paid $42 additional and also would have paid for two Voom Stream and Surf packages.

Did you stay in a hotel in Tampa before your cruise? We are trying to find a decent affordable place to stay. 

22 hours ago, mojomanny said:

I purchased it on sale for $15.99/day when Voom Stream and Surf as on sale for $12.99/day which is a difference of $3/day or $21 in total for me (I was traveling solo), my companions paid $42 additional and also would have paid for two Voom Stream and Surf packages.

That makes more sense then.  Thanks for giving  me more info on your exact situation. Also thanks for your review.

Why not just buy one 2 or 3 device surf & stream package between Multiple people.  You don’t have to be in the same room to share the package. 

Edited by later

5 hours ago, later said:

That makes more sense then.  Thanks for giving  me more info on your exact situation. Also thanks for your review.

Why not just buy one 2 or 3 device surf & stream package between Multiple people.  You don’t have to be in the same room to share the package. 

I was traveling alone and wanted my own plan, even though I was on vacation I still had work to take care of.
 The couple I was traveling with chose to each their own plan.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa Rocky Point Island and were very happy with it.  If you got  the site that is a Trip Advisor you will find a full review by me there.