Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
3Shelaghs

Basel to Zurich

Getting consistent different answers to my question “does Scenic offer transfer to Zurich airport at end of cruise, if you aren’t using their air & you offer to pay for transfer”...... not wanting to be up the Rhine without a paddle, we will arrange independent transfer. Suggestions??

If we rent a car and drive to Zurich airport, do you have any tips? Or suggestions how to get to Basel airport for car rental??

Original plan was : take Scenic airport shuttle to Zurich, rent car from there for day, returning it that night, spending night there for early flight out next morning.

In their advertising it markets as all inclusive, but sadly it is not. Just wish I could get a definitive answer...in writing ✍️ 

Where do you plan to go that requires a rental car?  Because a much simpler solution to your itinerary would be to take the train from Basel to Lucerne, enjoy Lucerne for the day, then take train from Lucerne direct to Zurich airport for overnight at airport hotel.

Agree 1000% with our esteemed moderator----Basel to Lucerne is an easy 1 hour train ride, Lucerne is LOVELY, and Lucerne to Zurich Flughaven is another easy 1 hour train ride.

If you stay two or more nights before your flight, you can send unneeded luggage ahead from Basel to Zurich Flughaven, reducing the need to schlep all over the place.

Thanks for ideas. 
original route...Basel - Interlaken....Interlaken -Lucerne.....Lucerne - Zurich

Flights are booked, so no changes in dates(much decision on that one 😩)

I do like the idea of the train....😊

In follow up... better to email them vs telephone.

On a side note, in my research of how to get post cruise to airport, I discovered taxi fares to be $$$. The quotes I was given for 2 from Basal port to Basal airport between 51CHF- 63CHF. Are most European taxi rates normally high?

Uber???

Switzerland is expensive.  The Swiss guides we had said they go to Germany on weekends to shop.

2 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

I discovered taxi fares to be $$$. The quotes I was given for 2 from Basal port to Basal airport between 51CHF- 63CHF.

Sounds right. As our host says, Switzerland is really expensive.

The official website says it's 50 CHF to Basel. The port is on the far end of town, so the price you were quoted seems in line with that. https://www.basel-airport.com/taxi.php

We disembarked in Basel last October on a Scenic Cruise.  We were staying overnight in Basel, but not at their hotel.  Even though they had transfers going into town to their hotel and the station, we were not offered one but needed to get a taxi.  They did call the taxi for us though.  The cost was 50 CHF.

Viking arranged a taxi to bring us from the ship in Basel to the train station.  IIRC it cost under 30 CHF.