Cruise Critic Community
Yorkiegirl3

Air B&B or hotel in Miami

We’re cruising out of Miami in September. 3 of us will probably be flying into Ft Lauderdale, and one into Miami. We’ll be flying in on Friday and cruise leaves Saturday. We’ll also need transportation from airports to either hotel or Air B&B and to port the next morning.

If we stay in a hotel, it needs to be clean, comfortable beds and fairly new. We would also need 2 rooms. I’m thinking we might come out better money wise if we get an Air B&B, but not sure once we figure in transportation. What are everyone’s thoughts?

A lot of people on here don't like Airbnb and will tell you no.  Personally, we always use Airbnb when we travel and have used Airbnb in Miami, Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale DOZENS of times. Never once have we had a bad experience in SoFL with Airbnbs. We will continue to use them. This year we have 2 booked in San Juan but will be back in Miami come fall, which we will book our stay with Airbnb then as well. 

We always just Uber to port or wherever we need to go. 

This is really a personal choice. Just see what you find. 

I will say in Miami be careful with Airbnb more so than other places. One, most condominiums do not allow it, so it is not unusual to hear of people out with no where to stay when they can't get access to a condo. 

Two, there are a lot of homes out there that sound like a great location, that I would never want to stay at. In Miami an area can change very quickly to great and busy to not so much. 

There are a ton of hotels to pick from near the port in Downtown Miami/Brickell and plenty of airbnb too. September prices for both should not be that bad. 

But otherwise your request is really to general to give you any advice, there are hundreds of hotels to pick from. 

I would say no to AirBnB in Miami unless you know the area VERY well.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Yorkiegirl3 said:

We’re cruising out of Miami in September. 3 of us will probably be flying into Ft Lauderdale, and one into Miami. We’ll be flying in on Friday and cruise leaves Saturday. We’ll also need transportation from airports to either hotel or Air B&B and to port the next morning.

If we stay in a hotel, it needs to be clean, comfortable beds and fairly new. We would also need 2 rooms. I’m thinking we might come out better money wise if we get an Air B&B, but not sure once we figure in transportation. What are everyone’s thoughts?

Hampton Inn and other hotels in the Mary Brickell area of downtown are very popular with cruisers - lots of local dining, shopping and nightlife options within walking distance.  Other popular downtown hotels include the Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, Doubletree and next door Marriott, and several other Marriott/Hilton brand options.  None of the downtown hotels offer shuttled to/from MIA and no Miami hotel will offer shuttles to/from FLL (about 30+ minutes away). Unless you are arriving late at night and just want a bed I would avoid hotels out near the MIA airport - often isolated, with few nearby dining options.

UberX or standard Lyft from FLL to downtown Miami hotels will run about $35+  From MIA to downtown Miami hotels an UberX will run about $15-20.  Unless everyone packs VERY light you will need an UberXL the next day to get 4 of you to POM - which will run another $10-15.

4 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I would say no to AirBnB in Miami unless you know the area VERY well.

I agree. There is a good choice of hotels and you can check reviews in TripAdvisor. 

So is the main reason why people say not to do an Air B&B in Miami is because you can’t be sure it’s in a good location? It seems like if you go with someone who has lots of recent reviews that are good you would know if it’s in a decent neighborhood. It just seems like it’s cheaper to find a home that will sleep 4 people compared to having to get 2 hotel rooms.

Also you can choose to rent a home vs a condo so being left without someplace to stay shouldn’t be an issue. 

Perhaps I’m being naive, but if one does the proper research it seems like getting an Air B&B should be ok. I haven’t decided for certain though. I’m still researching.

30 minutes ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

So is the main reason why people say not to do an Air B&B in Miami is because you can’t be sure it’s in a good location? It seems like if you go with someone who has lots of recent reviews that are good you would know if it’s in a decent neighborhood. It just seems like it’s cheaper to find a home that will sleep 4 people compared to having to get 2 hotel rooms.

Also you can choose to rent a home vs a condo so being left without someplace to stay shouldn’t be an issue. 

Perhaps I’m being naive, but if one does the proper research it seems like getting an Air B&B should be ok. I haven’t decided for certain though. I’m still researching.

For what it’s worth......Flymia and Blue Herons are both locals and long time posters on these boards.  Their suggestions and information have always been “spot on”.

For me personally...I would always trust their advice

Edited by GTO-Girl

1 hour ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

Firstly, South Florida is the king of scams.  We are number one in IRS fraud, identity theft, insurance fraud, credit card fraud,  real estate fraud, etc.

I once actually had someone try and rent my home while I was living in it!

People post apartments that aren't for rent on AirBnB and abscond with your money and also lie about the location.

Go to AirBnB and search Wynwood.  See how many come up.

There are NO places to stay in Wynwood.  It is a commercial district.  That's changing but 300 rentals still come up.

Also, most condo buildings do not allow short term rentals.

I've had multiple clients had their homes listed on Airbnb in Miami. They were not the ones listing them... 

I am not against it at all. I have used it myself, but I still prefer hotels. Especially in an area you don't know well. If a house is cheaper for a weekend then two hotel rooms it says a lot about the condition and location of the home. 

How about this. Let us know where the Airbnb you are thinking about are at or some that you think have good reviews and we can let you know if that is true or not. 

The thing with hotels is we know where they are, you have hundreds if not thousands of reviews. I've seen "high level" host, listing properties they don't even own. And sure a group of 22 year olds who have a car might think a house in Wynwood was awesome. Not sure much for a family etc.. 

8 hours ago, Flymia said:

I've had multiple clients had their homes listed on Airbnb in Miami. They were not the ones listing them... 

I am not against it at all. I have used it myself, but I still prefer hotels. Especially in an area you don't know well. If a house is cheaper for a weekend then two hotel rooms it says a lot about the condition and location of the home. 

How about this. Let us know where the Airbnb you are thinking about are at or some that you think have good reviews and we can let you know if that is true or not. 

The thing with hotels is we know where they are, you have hundreds if not thousands of reviews. I've seen "high level" host, listing properties they don't even own. And sure a group of 22 year olds who have a car might think a house in Wynwood was awesome. Not sure much for a family etc.. 

Am I allowed to post links or do you just want the area the listings are in? Also, thank you for being so helpful. 🙂

2 hours ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

Am I allowed to post links or do you just want the area the listings are in? Also, thank you for being so helpful. 🙂

I think people have posted links before, but you could give us an address or maybe even just tell us the nearest intersecting street. 

10 minutes ago, Flymia said:

I think people have posted links before, but you could give us an address or maybe even just tell us the nearest intersecting street. 

Our top pick at the moment looks to be on NE 50th St in Miami. It says it’s across the street from Upper Buena Vista shops and restaurants.

14 minutes ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:
27 minutes ago, Flymia said:

Our top pick at the moment looks to be on NE 50th St in Miami.

I would pass. The area is not horrible, but for someone that is not familiar with Miami you will likely not feel comfortable there at night. There is not much if anything walking distance other than a trendy restaurant or two across the street from a retirement health center and an abandoned school. 

If you had a car, then its ok. With no car. This is a no go IMO. 

This is exactly the type of place that might have great reviews, and could be great for 3 20 somethings on a road trip, but terrible for a family or people on vacation looking to walk around. 

"Buena Vista Shops" that is a joke. But it sounds like it would be close to some great shopping/restaurant area. And it is, by car. 

Edited by Flymia

17 minutes ago, Flymia said:

I would pass. The area is not horrible, but for someone that is not familiar with Miami you will likely not feel comfortable there at night. There is not much if anything walking distance other than a trendy restaurant or two across the street from a retirement health center and an abandoned school. 

If you had a car, then its ok. With no car. This is a no go IMO. 

This is exactly the type of place that might have great reviews, and could be great for 3 20 somethings on a road trip, but terrible for a family or people on vacation looking to walk around. 

"Buena Vista Shops" that is a joke. But it sounds like it would be close to some great shopping/restaurant area. And it is, by car. 

I think our plan is to rent a car. At the moment, our plan is to arrive in Ft Lauderdale around noon so we’d like to be able to spend some time exploring and seems like it would be easiest/cheapest to rent an SUV for a day. 

Total cost for the Air BnB for one night would be around $335. Would you still recommend going with a hotel or would you try the Air BnB?

If you still think we should do the hotel, what are your top recommendations? Our most important factors are comfy beds, clean, preferably newer or if not, maintained  well. Also would like to keep the cost around $200 per room. I say comfy beds are important, because I’ve been shocked lately at how bad hotel mattresses seem to be, and I’m not talking about low end hotels. In the last year, I’ve been in various hotels and all of the mattresses were rock hard. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

I think our plan is to rent a car. At the moment, our plan is to arrive in Ft Lauderdale around noon so we’d like to be able to spend some time exploring and seems like it would be easiest/cheapest to rent an SUV for a day. 

Total cost for the Air BnB for one night would be around $335. Would you still recommend going with a hotel or would you try the Air BnB?

If you still think we should do the hotel, what are your top recommendations? Our most important factors are comfy beds, clean, preferably newer or if not, maintained  well. Also would like to keep the cost around $200 per room. I say comfy beds are important, because I’ve been shocked lately at how bad hotel mattresses seem to be, and I’m not talking about low end hotels. In the last year, I’ve been in various hotels and all of the mattresses were rock hard. 

September prices should be reasonable but I think you are in town over Labor Day weekend which could push up demand and prices. 😨 Hampton Inn Mary Brickell or any hotel in that area should meet your needs and hopefully your budget.  Other downtown hotels to consider include the Intercontinental, Doubletree, & a variety of Marriott and Hilton options.  A recent post suggested a newer hotel - Mint - in downtown that might be worth a look.  If you are staying downtown skip the rental car (and associated parking fees).

The post above says Labor day. Not sure if that is when you are coming in but September is not a busy time for hotels in Miami. 

Friday Sept 4 on hotels.com I see the YVE hotel (great location) at $119/night. The Intercontinental (great hotel) is at $191/night/. Hampton Inn Brickell (by far the most popular hotel recommend for Miami on this board) is $145/night! Hampton Inn Midtown (brand new hotel) and a fine location so long as you are renting a car is $119/night. 

Why in world would you go with an Airbnb with these type of prices? 

I have no idea on bed comfort, never stayed at any of these places. But go with a better location with a hotel. 

If you stay Downtown/Brickell you don't need a car. You can walk around and take transit to a lot of places and take a quick Uber/Lyft to Miami Beach if you want to see South Beach/OCean Drive. 

Edited by Flymia

On 2/19/2020 at 11:42 AM, JohninDC said:

September prices should be reasonable but I think you are in town over Labor Day weekend which could push up demand and prices. 😨 Hampton Inn Mary Brickell or any hotel in that area should meet your needs and hopefully your budget.  Other downtown hotels to consider include the Intercontinental, Doubletree, & a variety of Marriott and Hilton options.  A recent post suggested a newer hotel - Mint - in downtown that might be worth a look.  If you are staying downtown skip the rental car (and associated parking fees).

is there something going on December 5th in Miami as it says The Hampton in Brickell is already sold out.

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

is there something going on December 5th in Miami as it says The Hampton in Brickell is already sold out.

Art Basel Maimi is being held that weekend.  Last year there were more than 80,000 attendees; they obviously weren't all from out of town but enough are that hotel rooms charge a premium and sell out.

Thanks for the reply.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Art Basel Maimi is being held that weekend.  Last year there were more than 80,000 attendees; they obviously weren't all from out of town but enough are that hotel rooms charge a premium and sell out.