Don’t go on a cruise!

Fun4Us2013

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

Lol I shop at Walmart and I have been all over Europe.

22 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Same here.  And other parts of the world too.  

Likewise, but I only shop at Walmart for the articles.😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

IDK,  A lot of talk about hysteria and panic.   Maybe so, but I'm still inclined to base decisions on CDC or WHO than I am on some random guy posting on a forum.  

Exactly, the science is backing caution.

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

IDK,  A lot of talk about hysteria and panic.   Maybe so, but I'm still inclined to base decisions on CDC or WHO than I am on some random guy posting on a forum.  

A couple of years ago it was panic over the Zika virus.  

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 7:36 AM, drsheryl said:

I'm debating cancelling my cruise.  So far, I have only paid a $500 deposit.  I have a solo cabin booked.  I don't want to be quarantined for 2 wks in a solo cabin.  The virus seems to be spreading even with the quarantine.  My flights are booked for Rome.  I can just do an Italy trip.  Thoughts?

I would hold off, wife and I got one plan out of Barcelona for Greek Isles in September 2020, already bought airline and made the $900 deposit we plan on going. I think this will blow over if it does not the crusielines will let you know ahead of time, they are keeping tabs on this virus. Also the airlines and cruise companies are well aware of the situations around the globe. My thinking if you got money involved now you might not get anything back if you cancel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I wonder how many cases of birth defects that panic may have prevented.  

Considering that the CDC says the risk is between 5 and 20% for any babies that were exposed to the Zika virus early in gestation, there is still reason to think it is very serious indeed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ducklite said:

A couple of years ago it was panic over the Zika virus.  

Don't forget Ebola, H1N1 and West Nile virus. 

Meanwhile at nursing and retirement homes across Canada there are the usual visitor restrictions and quarantines associated with the annual flu season.  Every year many residents won't make it through.  No panic or hysteria.    

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wonder how many cases of birth defects that panic may have prevented.  

Probably not as many as you would think.  I live in Florida and a friend is an OB/GYN, various diseases transmitted by mosquitoes in tropical environments are something she discusses with her patients as a rule of thumb.  I imagine around here most do.  The uproar and hysteria in the US would have had little to no impact on the areas of the world where women were particularly vulnerable.  Somehow I don't think the average woman living in a favela in Sao Paulo is paying much attention to the news in the US.

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

Probably not as many as you would think.  I live in Florida and a friend is an OB/GYN, various diseases transmitted by mosquitoes in tropical environments are something she discusses with her patients as a rule of thumb.  I imagine around here most do.  The uproar and hysteria in the US would have had little to no impact on the areas of the world where women were particularly vulnerable.  Somehow I don't think the average woman living in a favela in Sao Paulo is paying much attention to the news in the US.

I bet your OB/GYN was not advising pregnant patients to visit areas with Zika exposure.   If she/he was, I hope their malpractice premiums were paid in full.   In fact, amidst all of your "panic" was very sound advice that likely prevented a lot of sorrow.  That is the point I was making. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I bet your OB/GYN was not advising pregnant patients to visit areas with Zika exposure.   If she/he was, I hope their malpractice premiums were paid in full.   In fact, amidst all of your "panic" was very sound advice that likely prevented a lot of sorrow.  That is the point I was making. 

Of course she was giving that type of advice.

My point is that just like with every other thing the media wants us to panic about, this too shall pass.

• Like 1

Just now, ducklite said:

My point is that just like with every other thing the media wants us to panic about, this too shall pass.

So far, over 3,000 have passed.

The point is that, just like Zika, there are people highly vulnerable to the more drastic consequences of this virus. With its incubation estimates ranging from 3 days to 27 days, and with transmission while asymptomatic highly possible, and with it spreading throughout the world, there are any people who should be extremely cautious. In addition, the inconveniences to people in communities where it crops up are worth preparing for.

Yes, some Reunion Islanders acted in a panic, but most media reports here in the US are pretty informative. Social media is more likely to be the culprit in panicky reactions. 

We can probably agree on one thing--better to read more than one source of information from reliable news sources, and don't react to headlines only!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ducklite said:

So far, only 2 in the USA have died.  In the Pacific Northwest.   Not in Florida.    As  you say,  all things shall pass.  When it’s your time, it’s your time.   Might as well go on that cruise that’s  been on your bucket list.  You never know how long you have before you

Edited by Justalone

9 minutes ago, Justalone said:

So far, only 2 in the USA have died.  In the Pacific Northwest.   Not in Florida.    As  you say,  all things shall pass.  When it’s your time, it’s your time.   Might as well go on that cruise that’s  been on your bucket list.  You never know how long you have before you

Why would you think I'm one of the people in a panic and ready to cancel my cruise?  I'm not and never indicated otherwise.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

This applies to TV news as well.

Even more so--TV news usually is nothing more than headlines and some pretty people giving "on site" reports that add nothing. Except for BBC, which (when I remember to watch) seems to do some in-depth stuff.

In general, I use the news to give me a place to start (I often sift through the Google news page), and then I start researching elsewhere for more info. But not everyone has the time to invest in it that I do in retirement (gkids 5,000 miles away--no babysitting or soccer!).