Don’t go on a cruise!

Fun4Us2013

We are booked for November, so plenty of time for things to change. Unless the UK foreign office official guidance says "do not travel to....(and mentions any if our ports of call)" we're going. Unless it's against official guidance, insurance won't pay up ( as it's deemed to be 'disinclination to travel') 

On the plus side, I'm getting swamped with emails from cruise TAs offering great deals. Maybe now's the time to sneak in a cheeky last minute cruise......

3 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

We are booked for November, so plenty of time for things to change. Unless the UK foreign office official guidance says "do not travel to....(and mentions any if our ports of call)" we're going. Unless it's against official guidance, insurance won't pay up ( as it's deemed to be 'disinclination to travel') 

On the plus side, I'm getting swamped with emails from cruise TAs offering great deals. Maybe now's the time to sneak in a cheeky last minute cruise......

There are plenty here as well but we have commitments so can only do a short weekend type cruise and while tempting, they really don't cut it.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, Charles4515 said:

It would be great if the the risk in late spring/early summer is minimal but that is wishful thinking at this piont. Not enough is known. Also I personaly would rather it be here at home where there are very good medical facilities and I have a great doctor than on a cruise ship. I would suggest in your case that you might consult your doctor. 

Lol I am more worried about getting here  at home before my cruise  May 30th. 

I made a post last week about my  concern here on how would I know if that guy I passed the grocery store  aisle  had  not  recently returned from Italy  Lol! well now the next county over-county line is 5 miles form my house is a guy with coronavirus who, guess what, he had been to a business conference in Milan, Italy.  He came home February 22 and got sick February 25th. He passed it to his 15 year old son too. they are at home under quarantine, along with his wife and other child. Their symptoms have been mild so far but if I had passed him in the grocery store who knows?  I could have it and my guess is my  symptoms  would not be mild with my health history.

So anyway still looking forward to my cruise unless I am too ill or dead  by then lol!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Lol I am more worried about getting here  at home before my cruise  May 30th. 

I made a post last week about my  concern here on how would I know if that guy I passed the grocery store  aisle  had  not  recently returned from Italy  Lol! well now the next county over-county line is 5 miles form my house is a guy with coronavirus who, guess what, he had been to a business conference in Milan, Italy.  He came home February 22 and got sick February 25th. He passed it to his 15 year old son too. they are at home under quarantine, along with his wife and other child. Their symptoms have been mild so far but if I had passed him in the grocery store who knows?  I could have it and my guess is my  symptoms  would not be mild with my health history.

So anyway still looking forward to my cruise unless I am too ill or dead  by then lol!

Be well.  Enjoy that cruise!  

• Like 1

With the latest cruise ship outbreak it is time to suspend cruises for the time being. As we can see because of the financial commitments many have made booked passengers are hesitant to lose the money they paid without assurance of a refund. Also there are a few lunatics who think it’s a great time to save money. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

With the latest cruise ship outbreak it is time to suspend cruises for the time being. As we can see because of the financial commitments many have made booked passengers are hesitant to lose the money they paid without assurance of a refund. Also there are a few lunatics who think it’s a great time to save money. 

I'm more worried about getting sick at the petri dish that is my 500-person office building than I am on a cruise ship.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I'm more worried about getting sick at the petri dish that is my 500-person office building than I am on a cruise ship.

Getting sick at your office does not have the logistical problem that happens when getting sick on a cruise ship. Or even the logistical problem that happens of being on a cruise ship where there is an outbreak and you are not one of those who gets infected. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Getting sick at your office does not have the logistical problem that happens when getting sick on a cruise ship. Or even the logistical problem that happens of being on a cruise ship where there is an outbreak and you are not one of those who gets infected. 

It's really not much different that getting sick while travelling in a foreign country. I have experienced being seriously ill while out of the country and needed an emergency flight back to the U.S. Shutting down the cruise industry until this runs it's course makes as much sense as banning anyone from traveling overseas.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

It's really not much different that getting sick while travelling in a foreign country. I have experienced being seriously ill while out of the country and needed an emergency flight back to the U.S. Shutting down the cruise industry until this runs it's course makes as much sense as banning anyone from traveling overseas.  

Agreed why doesn't every person in the world quarantine themselves for the 14 days and then everyone is safe.  (this is a sarcastic remark brought to you by the sponsors of judgement).😛

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed why doesn't every person in the world quarantine themselves for the 14 days and then everyone is safe.  (this is a sarcastic remark brought to you by the sponsors of judgement).😛

good idea.  I'm in.  😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

People are being banned from traveling overseas to many countries. So being banned from cruise ships until this runs its course would not be much different. 

The latest counts in the US and across the world pretty much confirm that the bug has made it everywhere.   

I know we had planned a summer cruise, cross that off, no interest now with spending one to two weeks in tight quarters with a few thousand people that flew in from all over the country and world to mingle in close quarters, share handrail, elevators, pool, hot tub, gym, menu, etc. etc.   I'll take my leisure somewhere else.   

I am already high risk flying weekly, not looking to increase my exposure regardless.

I know I could easily be locked down in my travel, but last thing I want is to be stuck on a ship in a foreign port for who knows how long only to then after I get out spend another few weeks locked up at home as well.   Nah a cruise as much as I like them ain't worth that to me, I'll pass for a long while, maybe 2021.

Edited by chipmaster
added content

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Suspending cruising YOURSELF is completely within YOUR power.  Maybe other people have other opinions.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Suspending cruising YOURSELF is completely within YOUR power.  Maybe other people have other opinions.

I have suspended cruising myself but sometimes for the general welfare in an emergency to protect the whole population emergency measures need to be taken despite some peoples opposed opinions or choices. Those who chose to go on the Grand Princess made the wrong choice. Understandable that many of them probably didn’t cancel because they were afraid of losing the money they paid. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

People are being banned from traveling overseas to many countries. So being banned from cruise ships until this runs its course would not be much different. 

Sure, travel is being banned to certain countries with high infection rates, but the government is not shutting down the entire airline industry and saying people can't fly anywhere, are they? They aren't closing Disneyworld and all of its hotels, where people are in close contact in lines, restaurants, shows--with kids touching every conceivable surface and then putting their fingers in their mouths--are they? So saying that the entire cruise industry should just cease to operate anywhere on the planet for who-knows-how-long is ridiculous.

And it's not about losing money on a vacation, it's about knowing the difference between prudence and overreaction. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Airports are even riskier because nobody is getting screened before they enter the airport or get on a plane.  I'm not worried and will be cruising in three days.  However, I am not in the high risk category.  If I was, I would probably avoid crusing during flu season because the flu is a risk too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have suspended cruising myself but sometimes for the general welfare in an emergency to protect the whole population emergency measures need to be taken despite some peoples opposed opinions or choices. Those who chose to go on the Grand Princess made the wrong choice. Understandable that many of them probably didn’t cancel because they were afraid of losing the money they paid. 

You do you.  What the rest of the world does is really not your business.  If you are that afraid, stay in your house and seal the windows and doors with duct tape.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ducklite said:

You do you.  What the rest of the world does is really not your business.  If you are that afraid, stay in your house and seal the windows and doors with duct tape.

It is my business. If you don’t like my opinion hit the ignore button. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

What the rest of the world does is really not your business.

The very definition of public health means how everyone acts is, indeed, everyone else's business.

You seem determined on this board, and seemingly have been since the CVZ first started being discussed, to minimize the valid concerns many are raising. Why are their worries your business?

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

It has been reported late last night that three people in my county tested positive. All three were on a cruise that did not go to China. They were on the same cruise that returned February 20 but were not all traveling together. One couple plus one. Further evidence that cruises have been a nexus of the US cases and a danger to public health. 

Edited by Charles4515

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is my business. If you don’t like my opinion hit the ignore button. 

I'm not sure how it is your business.  Or are you suggesting that we shut down everything?  Every school, airport, military base, train system, workplace, shopping center, everything world wide?

18 hours ago, mayleeman said:

The very definition of public health means how everyone acts is, indeed, everyone else's business.

You seem determined on this board, and seemingly have been since the CVZ first started being discussed, to minimize the valid concerns many are raising. Why are their worries your business?

Because they are the people creating havoc where a normal person can't even buy a roll of TP or box of Kleenex due to the needless hoarding.  My goodness, even if a family of six was quarantined for a month they wouldn't need 180 rolls of TP.

• Like 2