Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 08

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 17 and Sunday, February 23.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

A lovely Sunday morning stroll around Point Gellibrand, home of Williamstown. Interesting activities to see.

First we have the Young Endeavour coming through the haze, looking eastwards (no, i did not climb up there.

End11.thumb.jpg.0fa6c6a3d875849dda9a664a45af6f0b.jpg

A cormorant having a bit of a snack

1373456186_Fishysnack.thumb.jpg.331b2c9f992c543d5c4ed525aa78d4b9.jpg

Around the other side of the point there had been a shark sighting, not conducive to the open water swimming event. So, the rescue helicopter had some fly arounds to make sure it was all clear. Our beaches are partolled from the air all summer to look for sharks.

Heli1.thumb.jpg.2e570517b162cf9b244d0702c39f4405.jpg

• Like 2

It has been a long time since I owned a motorcycle. Not being an adrenaline junkie, it only took a couple of close calls on the increasingly congested California roadways of the late '70s to convince me to abandon two-wheeled transportation. Despite my steering away from motorcycles as transportation, I never lost my appreciation for the increasingly technical features and vast amounts of power available at the twist of a wrist. Back when I was riding my old Kawasaki triple, the designs were pretty basic. The attention to style on modern superbikes is light years above their mechanical ancestors (as are the prices). That’s what triggered my photo reflex as we walked past this bike in the parking lot. The thing was simply a piece of mechanical art.

Metal Art

p3835202220-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

A busy Saturday in the Everglades - I decided to head west and see what I could find, but the day was off and on rain, followed by sun and clear, then back to rain, etc.  Just stuck the rain sleeve on the camera and 200-600mm lens and walked around shooting whatever I could, rain or shine.

A boat-tailed grackle covered in raindrops during one of the storms:

original.jpg

The great and powerful symbol of the United States, the bald eagle - cruising over the Everglades looking for food:

original.jpg

As it happens, he found food - in the talons of an osprey that had just scored a fish - he chased down the osprey relentlessly, and stole his fish away.  The osprey surprisingly decided to counter-attack, after first trying to run away from the larger eagle - he was quite P.O.'d at being ripped off of his hard-earned lunch:

original.jpg

It didn't work - the eagle rebuffed his attacks, then flew off with his easy meal.

A pair of blue-winged teals in some lovely light:

original.jpg

Ospreys don't give up - after losing his catch, he went back to fishing again, and in short order had scored another fish - though he was looking around very carefully as he flew off with it to make sure no more eagles were hovering nearby:

original.jpg

A great egret heading back to the nest with a small stick to fill a hole somewhere:

original.jpg

• Like 4