A brief review for the nonagenarian demographic

sunsetsoon

Enjoy your birthday Aprille!

Ms. Mary, I am the oldest of 3 sisters. Us girls always brought our mother a single red rose on our birthdays. One for September (me), one each for December and January. What nice memories. 

Two of us are sailing the Encore this summer with our grown kids and brother in law. Can’t wait. It’s been 5 years since our last trip on the Breakaway!! Life gets in the way sometimes....

happy sailing,

robin

23 hours ago, sunsetsoon said:

You guys have given me lots to think about. I truly did think this would be a brief review that would interest a few people but not a lot. I wanted to write a brief review after my first NCL cruise on the Jade. I really, really wanted to write one after my second NCL cruise on the Bliss. I didn't because there seemed to be some hostility toward those considered to be "NCL cheerleaders" and those that sailed in the Haven - because so much space was being devoted to the Haven at the expense of non-Haven passengers. I'm so thankful there hasn't been a single negative post to my thread.

In the meantime until Aprille gets your blog set up, maybe you could entertain us with recollections of adventures from your first two trips??? (Pretty please?) We wouldn’t mind that they were a while ago!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.  I’m also going to try to adopt and promote your philosophy “don’t let it ruin your vacation” (or day/week/life). Great advice... 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! And thanks even more so for all the positive feedback to my mom's "brief" review. 

Picture of Marty at Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. I love that he had his NCL tshirt on - "Let the Sea Set You Free". I think he had fun (as he always does!).

dunns river falls resized.jpg

Edited by Aprille
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aprille said:

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! And thanks even more so for all the positive feedback to my mom's "brief" review. 

Picture of Marty at Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. I think he had fun (as he always does!).

dunns river falls resized.jpg

great pic!!! I love Dunn's Falls

• Like 1

Full disclosure - I had decided to come back and tell you guys I was going to take a break from posting but then I see even more positive feedback and a picture of my crazy fun-loving son-in-law. In his defense he's only a little bit crazy but a lot fun-loving.

I'm going to spend part of my day looking at my cruise albums and maybe I will find more tales to tell. If not I will make some up - just kidding. I probably wouldn't do that.

Later!

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sunsetsoon said:

Full disclosure - I had decided to come back and tell you guys I was going to take a break from posting but then I see even more positive feedback and a picture of my crazy fun-loving son-in-law. In his defense he's only a little bit crazy but a lot fun-loving.

I'm going to spend part of my day looking at my cruise albums and maybe I will find more tales to tell. If not I will make some up - just kidding. I probably wouldn't do that.

Later!

Can't wait to hear more stories (true or made up)! LOL!  I have been checking into cruisecritic every day to read your updates. You really do have a big fan club!

Consider me a member of the Ms. Mary fan club. Your writing is a joy to read. Thank you and please do consider keeping it coming!

I love hearing your Texas stories. My husband and I leave Wednesday for my first visit to Texas (San Antonio) and I am way excited!

1 hour ago, rmandmm said:

I love hearing your Texas stories. My husband and I leave Wednesday for my first visit to Texas (San Antonio) and I am way excited!

Go to Mi Tierra for a meal. It is a bakery/restaurant open 24 hours and has been there since 1941. There is a strolling mariachi band in the evenings. Very romantic. Or annoying depending on your mood. Just don't let it ruin your vacation. LOL! It's a San Antonio institution with good food!

Of course, go to the Alamo, stroll the Riverwalk at night, but Mi Tierra is an oft-missed gem.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Aprille
  • Like 7

Well that didn't take long. I opened my scrapbook/album of our Alaska cruise on the Bliss - September 2018, So I will tell you the true story of the Ultimate Bloody Mary w/a side of baseball.

We spent 3 days in Seattle prior to the cruise. We stayed in a Hyatt House that was right across the street from the Space Needle and right across the street in another direction from the Sport Bar and Grill. Aprille and Marty had cruised to Alaska twice before. They had eaten at the Sport Bar and Grill and were eager to take me there. Their specialty is Tempura Bacon and it is super good. It's served in a tall glass and is plenty for 3 people as an appetizer. But I had done some research on my own and was eager to order something called the Ultimate Bloody Mary.

It happened on a night the Astros were  in town so Aprille thought it would be fun if we all wore Astro shirts and joined a bunch of Mariner fans and watch the game at the Sport Bar. I wasn't sure how much fun it would be but - good sport that I am - I went along and hoped for the best. Turns out "the best" was my Ultimate Bloody Mary. I would post a picture of it but truth be known - I don't post pictures because I don't know how to post pictures so I will describe it for you, And this is word from word from my Bliss scrapbook. There was a Wagyu slider, tempura bacon (of course), a jalapeno popper, fried cheese, 2 huge olives, a beautiful stalk of celery - I probably forgot something but you get the idea. The drink part was extremely spicy but oh so good. Best of all - there is no extra charge if they leave out the vodka.

The Astros were not doing well so I suggested we cover our shirts as best we could with jackets and do the "walk of shame" out of that place. I was so surprised - and delighted - when some of the Seattle folks gave me a round of applause. One of the guys pointed to my empty glass and said "good job". Nice place - nice people.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aprille said:

Mom and her virgin ultimate bloody Mary. The waiter was shocked when we ordered the virgin version. LOL!

ultamite virgin bloody mary.jpg

Wow....I guess you did get applauded!  That's more like a 3 course meal!  But it looks delicious!

• Like 2

I signed on to CC this afternoon going to the NCL forum with the single intent to simply find out what nights are formal nights on the Encore next month for our upcoming cruise and ran across this thread instead...I was sooo hooked from the very start and absolutely had to "binge read" it all today too! Thank you for the many laugh out loud moments reading the postings here this afternoon!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, Aprille said:

mimmy52 asks: If I’m not being too nosy, can you share Aprille’s age? Or about what is is?

Aprille's age will be 62 in 5 days. My husband Marty, will be 65 in October.

We had a great time on this cruise. Mom and I don't even get off the ship. Marty gets off at every port and usually snorkels or just walks around the port. He climbed Dunns River Falls this year and I think his age is finally catching up with him. He was whooped and man enough to admit.

Loving the review so far, Mom! Keep it comin' and I'll comment along the way.

Aprille (sunsetsoon's daughter)

P.S. I leave it to Mom to tell the "sisters" stories. 😲

Thanks so much for posting that picture, Aprille. I kinda hoped you would. No pressure for my next chapter because I know for sure you don't have any pictures of it. It's in our Jade album and the title is "Caribbean Dinosaurs".

I'm going to save it for tomorrow.

I put off putting on my compression hose this morning and now it's too late. It's time to put on my pajamas and read.

You guys make me so happy and you may have created a monster.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, GeorgiaGirl14 said:

Oh, darn!  I'm disappointed.  The only thing better than enjoying one myself, would have been watching you enjoy yours!  Hope it was great.

It was even better than great. Sad to say the Sport Bar and Grill closed it's doors for good about a month after we got home.

7 hours ago, Aprille said:

Go to Mi Tierra for a meal. It is a bakery/restaurant open 24 hours and has been there since 1941. There is a strolling mariachi band in the evenings. Very romantic. Or annoying depending on your mood. Just don't let it ruin your vacation. LOL! It's a San Antonio institution with good food!

Of course, go to the Alamo, stroll the Riverwalk at night, but Mi Tierra is an oft-missed gem.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you so much!! Will do!

Yay!!!  More Musings by Mary ..hey maybe that name would be great for your Blog:-)  Which we're all going to insist upon when you run out of cruise reviews!  I cannot tell you how much you have made me smile and laugh.  Particularly today; when I really needed a boost.

I think probably painting & writing are somehow related in the arts field.  But please since you can't post pictures of your art....keep up the writing.  I think we've all fallen in love with you.  You make me miss my Mom who was so special & feisty.  

And happy birthday to Aprille.  Thanks for being such a great daughter....the memories you are all making are so important.  

• Like 2