Mom broke her leg 34 days from cruise.(no trip insurance). Questions...

So my Mom just broke her femur today, 34 days out.  There's a good chance that her, and my dad, may not be able to cruise.  They did not purchase trip insurance, and are ok with that choice.  Such is life.  We're just looking at our options.

We're in the 25% refund stage for a few more days, so not much refund regardless.  We'll call RCCL to verify what they can, or can't do, but just looking for a quick answer about a few things...

• Rather than losing it all, can we change the names of the passengers in the cabin, say for two other friends, or family?
  • Is the 25% refund in cash, or is it future cruise credits?
  • They prepaid gratuities, how is that handled?

Thanks,

Dan

Gratuities will be refunded to original credit card, along with any taxes and fees if the cruise is cancelled. 

One person on the original booking must remain on the booking if you do a name change.

Travel ability probably depends on her surgeon and how they handle it.  Lots of folks travel in wheelchairs but obviously if she is in traction she can't travel.  If they install a plate she might be healed enough by then to cruise.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1

Very good, thank you for the quick response. 

If she can’t going then my dad will not go either.  There are six other family members on the same cruise in other cabins. Is it possible to change one of us into that  cabin so that it does not go to waste? 

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

7 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Very good, thank you for the quick response. 

If she can’t going then my dad will not go either.  There are six other family members on the same cruise in other cabins. Is it possible to change one of us into that  cabin so that it does not go to waste? 

Dan

As Lee said, one of the original names on the cabin's invoice must remain.

Did you by any chance book through a travel agent?  There may be a sneaky solution.

Like others have said, you can change one of the names in your parents room.  I would move one of your family members into that room, and have your dad be a no show.  You could then find 1 friend that could be added in place of the person that moved into your parents room.  Once on the ship you can get extra keys for those 2 people.  Keep in mind whoever is rebooked to your parents room would get double points; since they would technically be sailing solo with your dad being a no show. 

6 minutes ago, clumsychica said:

I don't have any advice, but I do hope your mom isn't in too much pain!

Thank you!  🙏.  She’s doing great, considering.  She’s one tough little lady, very active and hardly sits down.  Just twisted and stumbled on it weird in one of those freak things.

Dan

• Like 3

If the cabin is going to waste I wonder if you could switch two names like your mom and you so if they don't go you become solo in that cabin so you get double points.  Once on board just get a second key for your original cabin and stay where you planned to.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

If the cabin is going to waste I wonder if you could switch two names like your mom and you so if they don't go you become solo in that cabin so you get double points.  Once on board just get a second key for your original cabin and stay where you planned to.   

The people above are telling the truth...… you cannot switch 2 names. The person that mentioned leaving dad's name on there and putting one of the other people going in mom's place is the route to go...… or if you need whatever money

you can get, cancel the whole cabin and at least get back some of the $$$.

6 minutes ago, lauraapp said:

Have her just go!  She will get pampered and have a great time.  No cooking, cleaning, just have drink in hand at all times!

This is the way to go. Sorry about your mom. Hope she heals fast. 

• Like 1

2 experiences with something similar. 

I broke my leg and tore the ligaments and tendons off. I had 2 surgeries with the 2nd one to remove the screws just days before a trip. I rented a scooter and was able to even walk some by that time.  So hoping your mom recovers quickly and can at least use a scooter, you can rent one at special needs at sea, and is able to enjoy being there with family. 

2nd one is this past Holiday my dad was in the hospital. They had a suite for a cruise in January so I called on options to not lose the room. Same thing, one person had to stay on room but we were going to move my brothers wife to the room and that way they could use it that week.  Luckily my dad recovered quickly and was able to go and had a great time.  

I normally buy insurance but just didn’t do it that trip. Needless to say the next cruises booked all have insurance purchased 🙂 

11 hours ago, ILOVEHI50 said:

Like others have said, you can change one of the names in your parents room.  I would move one of your family members into that room, and have your dad be a no show.  You could then find 1 friend that could be added in place of the person that moved into your parents room.  Once on the ship you can get extra keys for those 2 people.  Keep in mind whoever is rebooked to your parents room would get double points; since they would technically be sailing solo with your dad being a no show. 

You can move names around and keep your dad on the listing and he just ends up a no show, but I'm a little confused what you mean by "find 1 friend that can be added in place of the person that moved into your parents room."    You can't just have a random person show up at check-in who isn't on the reservation. 

• Like 1

Take mom in her wheelchair or rent a scooter from Scootaround.  I sailed 3 months after open heart surgery and cousin was 1 month post from bowel surgery.  She won't be able to go dancing and will have to skip excursions but she will be with the family who will take good care of her.  Years ago I actually went deer hunting with my crutches following tendon surgery in right ankle, did have a chair to sit in while watching for deer.  If it was not a compound fracture I can't imagine her surgeon would not approve of her cruising.

This just happened to a friend of mine very recently (December).  We were booked on two cruises and yes, she fell off a table and broke her leg.  And just like your mom she did not buy insurance (even when I emphasized the importance).  Below is the situation and how it got resolved:

1. Three of us were sharing a JS she was booked in her own balcony cabin (January sailing).

2.  Three of us in a GS (February sailing) 

I am my own Travel Agent but since my friends were sailing with me, I was the TA on the bookings.  Since our friend  broke her leg and couldn't go on these two sailings, I was the one who worked with RC to resolve this.  This is how it went down:

I submitted a doctor's note to RC stating the type of injury and that due to the injury she could not go on the two cruises. The letter stated she was on bed rest for 75 - 90 days and that she could not travel:. I submitted this letter to Air2Sea and to resolutions.  

Air2Sea reimbursed the full amounts of her air cost.      

RC allowed her to move her January sailing to another sailing in April.  Since the sailing was much cheaper, they granted her an upgrade to a Superior Balcony cabin and yes they were kind enough to throw in the travel insurance.

RC gave her a partial reimbursement for the February sailing. She had paid $1000 but since she was listed as the 3rd passenger on the manifest they gave her I believe $600 back.  

I am not sure how you booked this cruise.  If you used a TA then have the TA talk to RC.  If you booked with RC then you will most likely have to deal with them on your own.  I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are able to rectify this.  I can't say enough great things about RC as they had gone above and beyond on rectifying my friends situation.  My friend and I  were truly appreciative of the way RC resolved this situation.  The agents I worked with were exceptional. Good luck!  

• Like 3

Too early to tell if they can go, but I think this will work regardless?...

I'll switch my wife to be in the cabin with my Dad (who's on the original booking), and replace my  wife with my mom into one of our connecting cabins.  That way...

• If they can make the cruise, then my wife will just come back to our cabin and my mom will go back in with my Dad.
  • If they cannot make the cruise then at least my wife is in that cabin and we'll make use of it.  (it's right across the hall from the connecting cabins)

Currently the situation is like this:

• Connecting Inside Cabin 1:  Myself and son 12  (we split my wife and I between the two rooms on the booking to allow for 4 bottles of wine brought onboard, however in reality my wife and I would share the two person cabin and the kids would all be in the other)
  • Connecting Inside Cabin 2:  Wife, Daughter 18, Daughter 15, Niece 18
  • Balcony Cabin 3:  Mom and Dad

My mom is more than happy to go on the cruise in a wheelchair, if the doctors permit.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 4